Search Unity

Third person cover controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EduardasFunka, May 23, 2017.

1. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Third person cover system now in the asset store

Check it out at unity asset store https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/88424

If you guys plan to develop a cover system for your game this asset will save you lots of time and money. We developing this asset that you can mix and match features you want easily so you don't need to spend hours extracting features you need.

Features

Walk, run, sneak
    You will find all animations for walking running sneaking with or without gun
    in total 150 animations

Sprint, jump ⚡NEW
    Sprint disables gun but increases jump strength

Dive to cover ⚡NEW
    Dive to or out of cover to escape gunfire or grenades

Jump over, climb
    Jump over covers or climb on them

Fluent covers
    Combine different types of covers
    connect them with different angles

360 cover fighting
    Can shoot 360 degrees in cover without
    leaving cover

Pistol
    Create different pistols with different ammo sizes speed damage and effects

Rifle
    Create different rifles with different recoil, ammo sizes. speed, damage and effects

Grenade ⚡NEW
    Modify grenades throw power, bounciness, impact zone, damage, and effects. Visualize how grenade will fly to a destination.

Advanced camera ⚡NEW
    Camera adapts to cover situation and detects objects that block your view and avoid them

Detect walls ⚡NEW
    Character defects not cover walls automatically and lowers weapons to avoid arms going in to wal

Body parts damage ⚡NEW
    You can set up every body part damage multiplyers

AI patroling ⚡NEW
    You can create AI patrol routes. set delay at every point.

Smart AI
    An AI can use covers, can be made aggressive or passive fighter, can change states deoending damage received

AI investigates ⚡NEW
    AI investigates threats and tries to find who caused them

Easy modifications
    All properties contain tooltips that can be seen by moving the mouse over labels. Some properties are accessed by rolling down sections inside the Inspector

Future

We want to hear your ideas, what features would be useful to you. Write it here or send us to eduardas.ninja@gmail.com

Check it out at unity asset store https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/88424

Thanks,
    Ed

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    RoyalAllen, Malbers, frbrz and 4 others like this.
  2. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

How to setup

Tassader likes this.
  3. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

Girl no included in the pack :(

5. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Sorry neoshaman, girl is from another project. maybe in future I will share her with a world

6. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

7. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Coming soon patch 1.1

BIG AI update

AI can use covers. The ability can be configured or turned off completely. Features include moving from cover to cover and taking a peek to fire at an enemy.

AI knows how to avoid recoil, fires in bursts.

AI uses pathfinding to move around a map and avoid obstacles.

AI are aware of each other and avoid standing close together.

AI dynamically evaluates the situation and takes decisions based on the changes.

AI knows when to reload before taking a peek to avoid running out of bullets mid-fire.

AI can retreat when dealt enough damage. Retreat can be configured to use covers.

Also
    Basic UI
    Damage trigger
    Bug fixes

8. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hello,

I have book marked this as I have some projects being developed and currently use RFPSP as my controller framework and have been looking for something better and which will allow a one man indie developer to progress games with efficiency. i.e. something which does not need years of programming alone to complete a full game with as I have more than enough to do all round with all the other things one need do to make a complete game :)

Not yet found anything with a feature set which is complete enough to provide what I need. I have some advanced levels created so need a system which matches with that in level of quality and professionalism.

This looks good so far and has some interesting AI and other features but like most is under developed for what I need.

Needless to say I have bought some other controllers and many other assets but currently have to stick with RFPSP as its still the best and most complete option for me and can develop forwards with it.

I may switch to something better if I can find it and may end up trying all other alternatives eventually.

Currently I would like to see a video or documentation showing how easy/difficult it is to change the example default AI enemies in this asset to our own custom AI enemy character models? What models are supported and so on?Many controller assets don't show or explain but promote themselves with placeholder models only as does this asset and swapping them out can be difficult or full of potential problems :)

The same applies for adding new weapons and so on.

Anyway just saying hello and will keep watching progress of this asset which looks good and very professionally done to date.

Thanks

Peter

Jeomar and EduardasFunka like this.
  9. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

new update looks awesome, any chance of adding mobile controls..?

Gametyme and EduardasFunka like this.
  10. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hello @petercoleman,
    It is just a beginning. Our goal is to make a complete package like one level of professional AAA game. Then Its up to you to scale it, and for us to provide features you guys want.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  11. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi, @Mayureshete we got so many requests for mobile controls that we thought it was a mistake to release it without mobile controls it looks like Unity devs work mainly mobile.
    I know only one game where shooter with cover has good controls for mobile its Space Marshals. (If you know other game where controls are done right, please let me know). And we made very similar controls in our game. We will add those controls to third person cover shooter but we will also upload a separate package "mobile top down cover shooter". I hope I will push those packages to asset store this Friday.

12. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Malbers and Mayureshete like this.
  13. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Here are mobile controls we promised. also many improvements to a character and Ai to make it work nicely. Coming soon to asset store once unity approves it.

AshyB likes this.
  14. HiddenFace

HiddenFace

Really nice asset !!
    When do you plan to add multiplayer (Unet /Photoncloud)?

15. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

I think an end of October is realistic.

Mayureshete likes this.
  16. f1chris

f1chris

First, great asset you've created there.

Unfortunately I'm pretty far advanced in my game to use your template ( other than that I would ) but I'm really interested to buy it to integrate your AI to my project.

Is the AI logic well separated from the rest of the engine ? I guess AI is going after the Player tag ?

- How is the apply damage to AI and to Player works ?
    - can you have predefined cover points ?

thx in advance

17. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi,
    AI finds targets by looking for objects with character components. It does not use tags. There is also a team system in place where Team components specify a side for the AI to take. Without it attacks any character that doesn't have an AI controller.

Weapons deal damage by sending an OnHit message to the target object. The AI component will be alert once it receives it. Damage itself is managed by a separate small health component that reads those messages and reduces its health value. It is assumed that users of the template will want their own health system implementations.

Covers are defined by marker objects. The AI searches for those and uses the best fit for its situation.

The AI relies on the CharacterMotor component that is in the template. It uses it to know if the enemy is in cover or not, moving, etc.

Mayureshete likes this.
  18. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

Hype for multiplayer, can't wait!
    I'll buy this without a doubt ones it is integrated!

19. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

Try ufps mobile, or have a look at Coalition - Multiplayer FPS on google play store.. they are however FPS controls but sure they can also be used for TPS.... these are just ideas,

20. f1chris

f1chris

thanks for this clear resume on how it works. I'll give it a try for sure, should be easy to integrate.

Are you planning to add pickups ( weapon, health packs, ammunitions etc..) and a kind of inventory system ? doesn't need to be as complex as Inventory Pro though. If not , may be considering a bridge to that asset ?

21. uni7y

uni7y

Virtuadreamer and RobsonFMaciel like this.
  22. tr1stan

tr1stan

Great work! Can you upload a playable demo for us the try the control before buy it?

23. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

We plan integration with inventory pro need to get that asset first :) but its later (winter)
    . Health and ammo may come by the end of summer.

HeraticGalaxy likes this.
  24. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Next week will upload apk to google store. PC MAC version you can play now on our website redbeegames.com ( its bit old V1.0 will update that too next week)

25. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

maybe in future will add to suggestions.
    Thanks

26. tr1stan

tr1stan

Haven't notice there's already a demo on your website. Gonna check it out.

27. Gametyme

Gametyme

Will mobile controls work in 3rd person mode?

28. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

We not sure how to make third person and mobile controls user-friendly. we will investigate more in future but If you guys know good examples or have good idea how please share we will give a try.

29. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

ufps mobile ,Coalition - Multiplayer FPS on google play store. these are just examples... i know these are for FPS but sure can also be used for TPS.. also look at control freak asset in asset store you can make ur asset compatible with it for mobile controls, that asset is good too... just suggestions.. :)

30. tr1stan

tr1stan

Any plan to add a grenade animation? That would be fine.

31. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

yes yes yes it's coming soon maybe we will add to 1.3.

32. Darkhitori

Darkhitori

Wondering it you are thinking about adding dashing with gun-play like the new Mass Effect has into this awesome controller!!!

33. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi,
    Yes, it's very cool for a sci-fi game. We will add roll-dash like in mass effect 3. Will come October. Need to record those animations.

frbrz likes this.
  34. tr1stan

tr1stan

Hi, I have purchased the package and played around it for a while. It's really amazing. It almost did everything I want except for a few minor problem which I'm not sure if I can fix buy tweak some params:

1. The camera occlusion check doesn't work. I remember it should work in the PC demo you previously made.

2. when I vault / climb to a higher ground, the character usually fall down (slope back to the ground) immediately after the climbing animation is finished. It's nothing serious but the experience is not good. Please note that only occurs when character hold a gun. If the character is unarmed and climbing that never happen. I think it just need some minor changes in animation or the body collider, just don't know how.

3. vault / climb doesn't work on moving platforms. Is it a bug or limitation of this version?

4. AI can take covers which is great. But it looks like a covered AI agent makes random choice of whether to shoot or to crouch. I think it will be better if the AI know when to stay covered if he's aware enemy's gun is pointing to him or in low hit points.

35. tr1stan

tr1stan

There's another issue I've noticed: when the character holding a gun and rotate his upperbody along the target direction, his upper body animation jiggles (It just looks like the animation is not smooth enough if I aim and move the mouse cursor around).

I think it maybe related to IK. Previously I used Final IK's aiming IK it had the similar issue in the early versions, and with current version of final IK it becomes much better. I hope this can be improved in your system.

36. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi,
    Occlusion I believe is a separate system nothing to do with our controller if you found some bug please send me to eduardas.nina@gmail.com.

We will add a slider to push collider up when climbing, so you can adjust for your character. Send me an email so I can send you code before unity approves the new patch.

Climb works with moving platforms you just need to add a cover object. you can climb only with cover objects.

AI need many improvements, I will add to community suggestions we will evaluate if its not to complex we will add to a next patch with AI patrolling.

Thanks for supporting this asset!

37. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Thanks will investigate.

38. tr1stan

tr1stan

Email sent. For AI it's not a priority to me, just for you to know the idea :) You may stick to your schedule for those AI improvements.

39. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

made a small video to show dynamic objects and climb.

40. Darkworth

Darkworth

Looks very nice so far! Couple suggestions for future features:

• Ability to roll or dash from one cover to another if close enough. Looks like currently you have to stand up and expose yourself fully to run to another cover even if close by. The Division has a cool way of doing this by looking at the cover you want to move to and holding space to quickly move to that cover position without ever going back into normal fully exposed movement mode (
      )
    • Ability to slide into cover when running at it if its a low cover
    Just some thoughts :)

arnesso, Malbers and EduardasFunka like this.
  41. daeuk

daeuk

how about about some melee? silent take downs perhaps?

42. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

We plan those for October, November

43. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

it looks so cool.
    We will record this type of animation not sure if we can make it automatic as right now our character enters automatically. Thanks

44. daeuk

daeuk

is there a demo? can we have web demo?

45. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hello, You can find a pc and mac demo version in our website www.redbeegames.com This version is a bit old i will upload a new one in a week.

46. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

Hello, your Asset is very interesting, I really want to buy it, but I need to know.
    I'm not an experienced programmer, and you find it difficult to integrate with "Ultimate Survival"?
    Https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/80368
    My project has "Ultimate Survival" as a base, and as it's just FPS, I'd like to integrate with your asset. Could you think about it? I also wait for multiplayer, because for me it will be something fundamental. Do you have any road maps to follow? Congratulations on your asset, it's very good. :)

47. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi,
    We do not plan at the moment integration with Ultimate survival.You can ask Ultimate survival developer maybe he is interested to integrate we could assist him.
    Multiplayer is important for us too it will come!

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  48. tr1stan

tr1stan

Hi for multiplayer which service you are going to integrate? Photon, Unet or Photon Bolt? I would suggest bolt because it does a good job at replicating animation, which just suits your asset.

Stanchion likes this.
  49. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

we plan unity because it is most accessible easy integrate out of the box.

50. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

Do you have a date for the release of multiplayer?