Search Unity

Third Person Controller - Third Person, AI, Multiplayer, Mobile Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opsive

opsive

Not currently - right now we're just focused on the core character controller with version 2 and crafting is a little outside that scope.

Malbers likes this.
  2. opsive

opsive

Version 1.3.7 has been sent to opsive.com purchases and will be hitting the Asset Store shortly. You can see what is included in this release within this post.

Weblox likes this.
  3. Michealunity

Michealunity

Thanks this really works for me.
    Now happen a weird thinks , in the moment that i managing my sniper rifle all is setted and works but seems that the left arm and left hand catch a movement state also if the character doesn't move and the hand stay up, how can i fix it?
    (This little issue happen only for shootable weapon)
    Another question : can you tell me the exact name of the variable of loadedcount and unloadedcount and in which script are so i can save it in my db?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  4. Weblox

Weblox

hi,

@opsive I just started to use TPC recently and really love the template a lot. Playing around with the demo scenes has been a lot of fun and setting up my own Characters also was enjoyable and brought my new Scene to life very quickly. When setting up different Player Characters however, adding all the abilities can get a bit time consuming. It might be nice to have an Option in the Character Builder to add all available Abilities at once and make the Player Creation a true "One - Click" experience.

- When working with Player Characters that have different sizes (Humans/Pets ect...) I did run into Problems with very small Characters. If you get NaN errors regarding the LeftFoot/LeftCalf or RightFoot/RightCalf Biped then this might be caused by the Players IK Component. Try to set Foot adjustment Speeds to zero (and maybe disable the Foot Colliders) as the Foot adjustments don't seem to work for small Player Characters.

- For small Characters the Climbing and Riding offsets will not fit correctly. For the climbable Objects we can of course perfectly adjust the offset within the Climbable Object itself, but it would be nice to have some Options in the Players Climb Ability for the offset too. That way we can have Player selection with different sized Characters and still climb accurately. At the moment it seems the Riding offset can not be modified at all, so it would be nice if you could add those Options aswell, either on the Mount or on the ability... ;)

- In the demo Scene my Player Character is able to swim and dive perfectly. In my own Scene I'm having some Issues with swimming. I have set the the "Water4Simple" layer to "water" and added a box collider, but that did not do the trick. Did I miss something here? ;)

- I am using a Main Camera with Default/AdventureZoom/StaticHeight/Swim States. It seems there is a slight jittering in the Default Camera State in the y - Direction. The AdventureZoom State does have ApplyStaticHeight/StaticHeight ticked on and seems to be fine. When trying to apply the same for the Default Camera State then ApplyStaticHeight is fine - when ticking StaticHeight too Unity does give some errors (below). How can I get rid of the Jitter?

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Opsive.ThirdPersonController.CameraController.ChangeState (Opsive.ThirdPersonController.CameraState state, Boolean apply)
    Opsive.ThirdPersonController.CameraController.Awake ()

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Opsive.ThirdPersonController.CameraHandler.Update ()

Thanks a lot for your help and keep up the good work...

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  5. opsive

opsive

What upper body and left arm animations are playing? You can adjust the animations within the sniper's item animation settings:

http://opsive.com/assets/ThirdPersonController/documentation.php?id=118

The class Inventory.ConsumableItemInstance contains the fields. You can use GetItemCount to access the values:

http://opsive.com/assets/ThirdPerso...entory.html#aa7bde04d1b8574adaf797e2330eef36d

6. opsive

opsive

@Weblox - Very happy to hear that you're enjoying it!

Noted - I have plans in v2 to make copying abilities easier.

Are you able to send me a repro scene with these? You can either send me a PM with the project or sent it to support@opsive.com.

The setup of the water is important - you need to have both a trigger and a collider:

water.PNG

You could copy this setup from the clean or adventure scene.

Are you running the version that was just released? This fixed an issue with the exclusive camera state and may be the cause of what you're seeing.

Weblox likes this.
  7. Michealunity

Michealunity

Attached Files:

8. Michealunity

Michealunity

Here the other:

Attached Files:

9. opsive

opsive

Those screenshots don't include the actual animation clip so I'm aren't able to tell what is playing. How about this - can you tell me how to reproduce it from a fresh project? I'll then be able to say what went wrong.

10. Weblox

Weblox

Hi,

Thanks, that fixed it! Currently I have some troubles with diving with one of my playable Characters. Once diving he will stay in the diving state , even when breaking through the water surface ( "sky" - dive through the air and still play the diving animation). Oddly the Character shares the same animator and setup with other playable Characters and those don't seem to have any issues. I will try to set up the Character once again ... :)

Awesome! Do you have a roadmap for V2 somewhere? ;)

I am not sure if I can send over the Project. This might aswell have been be a model related Problem. Just wanted to let you know if anyone else runs into Issues like these. If you cant reproduce it with any Unity Models I will try try to look for a model that I can send over... :)

Thanks. I am still using V 1.3.6. Reading the Forum thread you have anounced a new Version update. Should I wait before upgrading?

Again thanks and keep up the work! ;)

11. opsive

opsive

For debugging take a look at the Dive.Move method. When the character's position gets above the starting dive height then StopAbility should be called and the Dive ability should end.

We do not yet :) When we get closer to release we'll have a list of everything that's included.

Unfortunately this is the first case that I've heard of both of those errors so if you can send me some sort of repro scene that would be great.

Update away! The latest 1.3.7 release has been stable

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Weblox and Malbers like this.
  12. JacobFalling

JacobFalling

Hello!

I just picked up the controller during the sale, and I cannot seem to get it to import properly. After three tries downloading and importing I consistently get 129 namespace errors such as:

Assets/Third Person Controller/Scripts/Utility/CharacterBuilder.cs(33,97): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `RigidbodyCharacterController' could not be found. Are you missing `Opsive.ThirdPersonController.Wrappers' using directive?

They seem to be all over the map.

Each time I try to import again, it seems to think the thirdpersoncontrollerruntime.dll still needs to import.

Jacob

13. opsive

opsive

Thanks for your purchase! You'll get that error if you don't have the base set of scripts located in the runtime dll. What Unity version are you using? Have you tried a fresh project? You could also import the source files directly:

http://opsive.com/assets/ThirdPersonController/documentation.php?id=50

14. JacobFalling

JacobFalling

Using 5.5.0f3. Importing the source files worked and triggered the setup.

Thanks for all your work on this and your other utilities... now for a test drive.

Jacob

15. magique

magique

I thought I'd give this a try again and see how it's come along. I created a fresh, empty project and just imported the entire TPC controller package and I get the following errors:

Assets/Third Person Controller/Demos/Clean Scene/Scripts/UnderwaterEffect.cs(2,36): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Abilities' does not exist in the namespace `Opsive.ThirdPersonController'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/Third Person Controller/Demos/Adventure/Scripts/DoorOpenInteractable.cs(8,41): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `AnimatedInteractable' could not be found. Are you missing `Opsive.ThirdPersonController.Wrappers' using directive?

Assets/Third Person Controller/Demos/Clean Scene/Scripts/CleanSpawnSelection.cs(8,40): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SpawnSelection' could not be found. Are you missing `Opsive.ThirdPersonController.Wrappers' using directive?

Assets/Third Person Controller/Demos/Network/Scripts/DemoNetworkManager.cs(9,39): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `NetworkEventManager' could not be found. Are you missing `Opsive.ThirdPersonController.Wrappers' using directive?

Assets/Third Person Controller/Scripts/Wrappers/AI/SimpleTurret.cs(7,62): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `SimpleTurret' does not exist in the namespace `Opsive.ThirdPersonController'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Just for starters. A total of 129 errors like these. I am using Unity 5.5.3f1.

[EDIT]
    Figured it out. The ThirdPersonControllerRuntime.dll had Any Platform unchecked.

16. opsive

opsive

Good catch - I'll ensure that it's checked in the next version!

17. JacobFalling

JacobFalling

Ah, looks like I wasn't alone with the install issue.

Regardless, after importing the source files I was able to get the controller and camera up and running in an existing Ork Framework project with little trouble. Thank you for having a dedicated support page on your site as well as scripts dedicated to this and other integrations -- you have a pretty impressive compatibility list, and I'll be utilizing Playmaker and Behavior Designer as well, at the very least.

Kudos!

Jacob

opsive likes this.
  18. Binary42

Binary42

Hi, if i apply the Clean Scene / Camera States / Top Down to a fresh setup, the Camera spins around the Character.
    However, it works correct in the Clean Scene without spinning, and has Apply Camera Offset checked with 0,0,0 as Vector. While that sets the Camera in a fresh Scene to 0,0,0 it has still a correct look down distance in the Demo.
    So whats the difference? Where is the View actually configured? I would also like to add a fixed Y-Rotation to the TopDownView, where can i do that?

19. opsive

opsive

Here's a Unity Package that you can compare against that has just the top down mode setup in the clean scene:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uc9ix6uf58fs0d/TopDown.unitypackage?dl=0

In terms of a fixed y rotation, take a look at the CameraController component. For top down it doesn't restrict the y rotation at all but you could add it to the Rotate method when the ViewMode is TopDown.

20. Binary42

Binary42

That was quick, thanks! :)

21. Michealunity

Michealunity

There is a player who have already setted all the weapon that can works with multiplayer? Or there is a way to obtain it? Now I manually put item one at one, and sometimes give me error of various type.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  22. opsive

opsive

Are you asking if a new client joins will all of the items for the existing players already be added?

23. Michealunity

Michealunity

Yes i'm asking if there are an already prefab multiplayer player setted with all items except magic skill or i must build adding one item after one?

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  24. opsive

opsive

The inventory will automatically add all of the existing items from another client. If you'd like to change how this is done take a look at the Inventory.OnServerReady method.

25. Michealunity

Michealunity

Ok i almost finish positioning my other item, but i have some error/issue with some, can i make i video to show you?

26. opsive

opsive

What call are you making and what error are you receiving?

27. Michealunity

Michealunity

Here is the 2 min video that show my problem and under the only error that appears when shoot with the Sniper:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8oqUaCdYZD3TEN2dk1PN3ZhTXc

Problem:
    - After added Sniper Rifle Scope state the zoom state of main camera is no longer call for no one item
    - Crossbowarrow and rock projectile of slingshot don't do damage
    - Sniper Rifle after the first shoot when i try to shoot again empty the rest of the clip in less than a second and i m not
    anymore able to change weapon
    Minor problem:
    - Bow and CrossBow arrow are not showed in aim position if more shoot happens without release the aim button.

Unique error that appears image:

Attached Files:

28. opsive

opsive

You'll get that error if you either don't have an AudioSource on your weapon or the FireSound clip is null. This can be set on the ShootableWeapon. For the others are you running the latest 1.3.7 version? Can you send me a PM or email (support@opsive.com) with the repro project?

29. Borunor

Borunor

Good Afternoon, before to buy this asset I would like to have an answer to my question:
    Is it possible to change/add or remove some animation from your package?
    Example: I saw from your tutorial video that you have 1 animation set for the melee weapon, I currently have this animation pack (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/63772) but I would like to use your controller instead. Is it possible to Import the animation for the melee weapon from the animation pack listed before in your animator or if I'll do it I "break" your animator logic?

Many thanks beforeHand for your answer.

30. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at the Third Person Controller!

Yes, you definitely can, and is actually recommended to make your character more unique :) For the most part it is just a matter of switching out the animations within the Animator Controller. There are a few animations where you'll need to also add animation events but that process is described on this page:

http://opsive.com/assets/ThirdPersonController/documentation.php?id=111

31. Borunor

Borunor

Many thanks for your answers! :D

32. Teila

Teila

Extremely disappointed. We are using TPC for our game and because it is already integrated with everything else, we will probably not update other than for Unity versions. However, you have discouraged Malbers from updating so we can use his horses with TPC. Now we have lost something important for our game.

I had this feeling that UFPS would take precedent over those of us using TPC without UFPS, but so disappointed to see it actually happen. We will be months behind if we have to switch to another third person controller. :(

I get that one must always update, but realize that past customers are as important as new ones.

33. opsive

opsive

Wait, what happened? I worked with Malbers a couple of weeks ago to ensure TPC would be compatible with v3 of his asset. One of the fixes in the last update specifically addressed an issue with that integration.

34. Teila

Teila

He just posted that you said it would be a waste of time until later this year, which I assume is well after October, so past our deadline for the trailer. :(

Maybe this is just a misunderstanding?

35. opsive

opsive

Ah, I just read that post. He was referring to adding a new feature to the integration by allowing weapons to be used while riding the horse. I said that if it was too difficult to do then it probably isn't worth it because v2 will be changing how that aspect works.

If you are as far along as you are then I definitely do not recommend updating to v2. Version 1 will be supported for long after v2 is out so there isn't anything to worry about there.

Teila likes this.
  36. Teila

Teila

Well, since we will need weapons with horses eventually, I guess we will have to update eventually or find something else. Your controller is working marvelously at the moment with uNet and all of our other assets as well as our custom content. Our concern is not so much the update in the future, but being able to use the horses for demonstration purposes before then.

So...we will be okay until then, but still may have to drop TPC in the future if we cannot use weapons on horses. I guess at least we will get through the end of the year.

37. opsive

opsive

I can work with Malbers to see what it would take to add weapons to the current version. It may be easier than I think :)

TeagansDad and Teila like this.
  38. Teila

Teila

Thank you! We are making an rpg without fps style combat so we mostly just need the animations to work. Obviously, I am not the coder...but I think the actually damage and whatnot would be easy in our case.

39. opsive

opsive

I just sent Malbers a PM to see what it would take.

Also, version 2 is for more than just a rewrite for first person controls. We started from a blank project and are taking the best concepts of TPC and UFPS and combining them into one. It'll be fun because when we add a feature to UFPS, TPC will automatically get that feature as well (and visa-versa).

I've even added some features that are specifically geared towards the RPG gametype :)

https://twitter.com/Opsive/status/868111202232274946

TeagansDad likes this.
  40. Teila

Teila

We will see. It is the getting integrated and working on uNet that is the issue. Right now, it is working great. But we have absolutely no need for UFPS. As you remember, when you took that over, my fear was that UFPS would be combined with TPC and that worried me. We don't need all that extra stuff in our game. We already have a way to pick up stuff. lol

I would have preferred add-ons. I understand why you are doing this, I just hope you continue to support a stand alone TPC. We carefully looked at all the available motion controllers and chose yours and we would like to continue using it.

41. opsive

opsive

I think that you'll find that everything will still be modular in v2. If you only have TPC then you'll only get a third person controller.

The UFPS acquisition allowed us to take a step back and really analyze what works well and what can be improved. In order to accomplish what we are going for it had to be a rewite instead of just an addon. I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised with the flexibility of v2 if you choose to update :)

42. Teila

Teila

But will all the UFPS stuff still be hanging around in our build?

43. opsive

opsive

No - the UFPS stuff won't be included if you don't have UFPS imported. You'd only have the character controller and third person items.

Teila and Malbers like this.
  44. Teila

Teila

Okay, that helps. When you are transferring the build over the internet, the last thing we want is stuff we do not use to be included. As long as the integration is modular, I will not worry about it.

45. Kemp-Sparky

Kemp-Sparky

Hello, I have recently adopted the Ultimate Survival asset, and the roadmap for that system looks quite promising in terms of crafting, building, harvesting, etc. I wondered whether integration with Ultimate Survival might be on the roadmap for TPC and/or UFPS?

Thanks!

46. opsive

opsive

Yes - it is. Currently we aren't doing any integrations since we're dedicated to version 2, but somebody on the Opsive forums just asked about this integration as well. Until I can get to it we may be able to get a community-led effort to add the integration.

Weblox likes this.
  47. Kemp-Sparky

Kemp-Sparky

I completely understand, and I'm very much looking forward to version 2! It's good to know that Ultimate Survival is on the radar for future integration. I'm not looking at using Ultimate Survival seriously until after it's been developed a bit further, so I'm in no hurry. Thanks!

opsive likes this.
  48. scissorman1

scissorman1

I've been looking over your controller and comparing it to the similarly-priced Invector Shooter, and there's a few things keeping me from taking the plunge. Bear in mind that I mean this all in the most constructive way possible.

The amount of assets that integrate with your asset is definitely an plus, but some parts of the core functionality worry me. The animations, to put it bluntly, kind of unprofessional, and while I'd be replacing them in a final project they make the demo scenes feel extremely clunky. Its difficult to tell if the stiffness is from the quality of the animations or from the way the controller handles transitions.

The controller's jump is also very strange, especially in the Shooter demo. It seems that when the character reaches the apex of a jump, they immediately stop in midair and fall to the ground.

Finally, the gunplay feels somewhat clumsy in the demo. The pistols in particular seem as if they are being held at an off angle, and there does not feel as if there is any recoil or kick to the weapons. While this may be something that can be fixed by users of the engine, the fact that it is not in the tech demo is worrisome.

I understand that as users we will always have to change things from an out-of-the-box asset, but when our purchases are informed by demos that perhaps don't accurately represent the the real capabilities of the asset or put the best foot forward, it can leave prospective purchasers like myself wary. Some of the issues I've pointed out here may very well have been fixed in a newer verson or fixable through changing a single value, the available demos do not represent that.

Perhaps you could highlight completed projects on your website to showcase the capabilities of the asset? Or someone who owns the asset could provide their own demo to demonstrate the potential of the controller? Or perhaps more tutorial videos- your most recent Youtube video was nine months ago, while the Invector crew is currently putting out one a week. They have one that demonstrates the setup of an entire simple Zombie game in under an hour from free assets; something like that could go a long way to show the real capabilities and ease of use of your asset.

As someone who has researched your asset & had it sitting in my cart for a couple month, there are a lot of things about it that I think are genuinely superior to other controllers on the market, and just as many that nearly scare me away. Right now the market for Third Person Controllers in Unity seems to be between Invector, which comes across as professional and easy to use, and your own, which the demos make seem sloppy and archaic.

I know from my research that that isn't an accurate representation of your asset, but I just can't justify the purchase without seeing something that can really wow me and feels like a modern game.

I hope you don't take offense to any of this, but these are my serious concerns and I would hope you take them into consideration. Thank you.

Malbers likes this.
  49. opsive

opsive

First off thank you for your feedback! It's always great to hear these sorts of things.

This asset is focused on providing a great character controller rather than being an animation pack. Animations are the most common critique and while we'd like them to be usable, most people will be switching them out for their own anyway to make their game more unique. For a good comparison how does the platformer character from the clean scene look to you? This character is not using root motion so you should get a more responsive feeling.

The jump uses unity's physics engine in order to apply gravity so it sounds like this could be related to the actual jump animation.

This does sound related to weapon positioning which can be adjusted. We don't have a recoil animation within the demos but it is definitely possible to add one.

One of the toughest problems that I have is hearing about the end result from developers using our assets. When everything is going well you generally don't hear from the developer so we have no way of knowing if our asset was used. With that said, I am watching The Come Up and The First Tree as both of those games are extremely polished using TPC. (related: if you're reading this and have TPC let me know what game you're working on - I'd love to see it!)

We've learned a lot in the past couple years on how to properly market a third person character controller and are applying that knowledge to version 2. One takeaway is that we will have less demo scenes and instead just focus on a single scene. This will make polishing that scene easier because you don't have 20 different items to configure. Once we get close to releasing this we will begin more of a marketing effort by releasing many YouTube videos, and I can also see doing something like Twitch to show off a preview on how everything works.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    TeagansDad likes this.
  50. Teila

Teila

Switching out your animations will make a big difference. We use Kubold's with TPC and they look great. You will need to be familiar with mecanim to really make them look nice but it is worth it.

TeagansDad, Malbers and opsive like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity