Search Unity

Third Person Controller - Third Person, AI, Multiplayer, Mobile Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opsive

opsive

The current version already is :)

2. Gametyme

Gametyme

I got a ton of errors after importing it into a clean project. I did let the script updated run. I'll try again without it .

3. Gametyme

Gametyme

I still get this error every time I start the game. I got some others on import but they didn't come back. Of course, its on Mac.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'TreeEditor.TreeData' from assembly 'UnityEditor.TreeEditor, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    2. System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributesBase (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoCustomAttrs.cs:108)
    3. System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributes (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoCustomAttrs.cs:151)
    4. System.MonoType.GetCustomAttributes (System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoType.cs:595)
    5. UnityEngine.AttributeHelperEngine.CheckIsEditorScript (System.Type klass) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/AttributeHelperEngine.cs:131)
    Edit and I get these when opening the project.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'UnityEditor.BuildReporting.StrippingInfo' from assembly 'UnityEditor, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Opsive.ThirdPersonController.PointClickControllerHandler' from assembly 'ThirdPersonControllerRuntime, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    2. System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributesBase (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoCustomAttrs.cs:108)
    3. System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributes (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoCustomAttrs.cs:151)
    4. System.MonoType.GetCustomAttributes (System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoType.cs:595)
    5. UnityEngine.AttributeHelperEngine.CheckIsEditorScript (System.Type klass) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/AttributeHelperEngine.cs:131)

4. opsive

opsive

Those first two errors look unrelated to the Third Person Controller - it relates to TreeEditor.TreeData and BuildReporting.StrippingInfo. The last one is related to third person but I haven't been able to reproduce it. I just tried in a fresh 5.6 project and ran the update script wizard and it didn't have any errors. You could also try importing the source to see if that helps - with the source imported you won't need to run the update script wizard.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  5. toddkc

toddkc

I have some monsters that are walking around, and want to make my player take damage and be knocked away when he touches them. Can't seem to figure it out.

I have colliders on both, and when they touch I am using oncollisionenter to call characterhealth.damage(). That works, after a few hits the player will die. What I can't figure out is how to do the knockback. Nothing that I add to damage() does a knockback, and I tried making the enemy itself a melee weapon, but that didn't work either. Also tried a basic rigidbody.addforce but something in the rigidbodycharactercontroller I assume is overriding that.

I imagine there is a simple solution to this I am just not thinking of. Thanks!

6. opsive

opsive

I just responded to your post on the opsive forum :)

7. Urishizu

Urishizu

I recognize that this is likely out of the scope of this asset, but I just wanted to ask anyway as I'm sure others have run into this. The animations included in Third Person Controller meet almost all of my human needs, but I need to add zombie animations. I've purchased this asset: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/48407 but I'm really having trouble figuring out how to properly input these into the Third Person Controller. I've tried replacing animations from a copy of the Combat animation controller but the model gets disfigured (looks like it's kind of cut in half-ish).

Does anyone have any recommendations on guides or tutorials to learn how to swap out the animations in the asset above with TPC to make my zombie animate? If I could even just replace the walking/attack animation with some from that asset, I'd probably be set.

Thanks for any help anyone has and I apologize that this is slightly off topic, but I figure many other people must have run into doing this with TPC.

8. opsive

opsive

Unity has done a few tutorials on the animator controller, take a look at this page with a few links:

http://opsive.com/assets/ThirdPersonController/documentation.php?id=111

When that happens it is either related to a missing animation within the state that is running, or if the animation works but the bones are positioned incorrectly then it could have something to do with the rig. If the zombie animations were made with a humanoid though then you should be able to just replace the animations within the animator controller directly.

9. Urishizu

Urishizu

Thank you for your insight and help here. I believe the animations were done with a humanoid and it looks like it's trying to work, so maybe it's close. I'll keep digging into it. Thank you again! :)

10. Griot-Games

Griot-Games

The add on for Uma 2 need to be updated to 2.5. Im new to TPC and im trying to get Uma to work but the example scene is outedated and im too new to uma and tpc to know what going on. please help

11. Griot-Games

Griot-Games

I also need instruction or video on how to use uma Integration thanks so confusing

12. opsive

opsive

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like version 2.5 changed the component used to build UMA. I've updated the sample scene and documentation to go along with this version.

Here's a link to the UMA documentation: http://opsive.com/assets/ThirdPersonController/documentation.php?id=94. Let me know if you have any questions on this!

13. Griot-Games

Griot-Games

I checked it out. I can understand what happening now thanks

14. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Hi there!

I get a weird slow movement for some directions, I've played around with controller parameters but still no fix. Am I missing something?

Here is the video illustrating this problem:
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap1pUE-A7A1ngqFM7f78OuoReigkew

EDIT:
    Actually I might know what the problem is. When the joystick is in any other extreme position other than top, right, bottom, left - the input is always less then highest or lowest value for the particular axis - hence slower movement.

EDIT 2:
    Ok, problem was not with Third Person Character asset. See one paragraph above. I've solved it with some touch controller tweaking.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  15. opsive

opsive

Just as a quick sanity check, if you import into a fresh project do the demo scenes work properly? Or is it specific to your character?

16. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

It was specific to touch controller configuration. I've checked one demo scene and it seemed to work normally.

17. opsive

opsive

Glad you got it working!

18. opsive

opsive

Third Person Controller 2 and UFPS 2 development has been going strong and we're getting ready to release our first alpha demo this week! Aydan from the Deahtmatch AI Kit will be placed with the UFPS SkyCity scene (all art assets will be replaced for the final release :) ). You'll be able to change perspectives and use the jump, fall, and speed change abilities. We haven't gotten to the items or arm springs yet so you won't be able to shoot.

alpha1.PNG

TeagansDad, Deckard_89 and TonyLi like this.
  19. orvedal

orvedal

When using a controller there is no setting I can change that makes the right stick turn the character faster, because right now it's slower than slow. I have changed setting on the actual rigidbody character controller component and the on the camera controller. I have even tried raising the sensitivity for axis 4 and 5 in the input and something somewhere is capping the speed the character turns using controller axis 4 and 5.

20. opsive

opsive

Are you referring to rotation or position when you say turning? I should have a better idea what to adjust after that.

21. orvedal

orvedal

character rotation/camera position (since it rotates around the character?) what's odd is this: I expected the rotation speed on the rigidbody character controller to change this since I notice that the difference between that and the aim rotation speed is noticeable when aiming on the controller.
    However, after reading the above post I am checking to make sure the camera controller it switches to when the player is in a car isn't interfering with it. But, I have it disabled when the player is not in a car, just as I have the TPC camera components disabled when in a car. I am already pretty sure this is not the problem, but will get back to you after checking a clean project.

22. opsive

opsive

You're right - that sounds like it's related to the camera speed. There are two values you can adjust: move smoothing and turn smoothing. In both of these cases the lower the value the higher the speed. You can set this on the camera state:

http://opsive.com/assets/ThirdPersonController/documentation.php?id=127

23. orvedal

orvedal

Sorry, it's also something else in my project. Not tpc. Works perfect in a fresh project.

24. opsive

opsive

If you haven't seen it yet I wrote a blog post for Unity which highlights UFPS as part of the Accelerator Pack. In this post I took the Accelerator Pack video and extend upon it by adding a new weapon, adding a few surface identifiers, and showing it in VR.

This post is pretty basic if you've already used UFPS, but if you haven't it gives a glimpse into how UFPS is setup as well as some of the features that will be coming to version 2.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    TonyLi likes this.
  25. Duffer123

Duffer123

@opsive ,

How compatible is TPC (which I own) with AI Designer Pro (which I'm looking at)?

26. opsive

opsive

I've haven't used AI Designer Pro but unfortunately it'll probably require some type of integration in order to work.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  27. Duffer123

Duffer123

@opsive The other one I looked at was Ice Creature ai which i think is compatible?

[Edit] the ai designer pro blurb on the store indicates it can be integrated with ufps. Would that help with TPC?

28. opsive

opsive

ICE is compatible. I've used it and it'll allow you to deal damage to the third person character. It however doesn't allow your Third Person Controller AI to start abilities or use any weapons.

Out of all of the AI integrations, Behavior Designer is fully compatible in that anything you can do as a player-controlled character you can do as an AI agent. It of course isn't as ready to go out of the box because you'd have to design your tree, but that also gives you more flexibility. The Third Person Controller http://opsive.com/assets/BehaviorDesigner/documentation.php?id=119 is also a great reference.

29. Duffer123

Duffer123

Just a little scared of learning curve with behaviour designer and drawn to the out of the box assets.. although, to be fair, out of the box never worked out well in the past... I DO want my AI solution to play nicely with TPC and the big next version of TPC too.... hmmm

30. opsive

opsive

Take a look at this page for a few behavior tree resources:

http://opsive.com/assets/DeathmatchAIKit/documentation.php?id=3

That link has a few general behavior tree resources, as well as a step-by-step guide on how the deathmatch tree works. This should give you an idea on the behavior tree flow.

It'll definitely do that - version 2 will just require an integration update and I should have that ready on day 1 (the AI scenes will be one of my testcases).

31. Atzig

Atzig

Third Person Controller 2 and UFPS 2? Does this mean we'll have to re-buy/pay for an upgrade for these assets? I was thinking about getting TPC but now I might wait.

EDIT: I've noticed a few issues with movement in the demo, if you sprint towards the climbable flower/vine thing and climb it (while holding down the sprint button), then the character doesn't animate once at the top until you perform another action like jumping/falling etc. Also if you're sprinting and crouch, then the character maintains sprint speed. Have these issues been fixed in the asset store version?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  32. opsive

opsive

Version 2 isn't going to be released until late this year so we haven't thought about the upgrade portion too much. Whatever we decide we'll definitely include the community in the discussions with plenty of time ahead of release so everybody knows what is going to happen. This discussion likely won't happen for another couple of months.

That's for the report - I wasn't aware of those. I was able to reproduce both of them so if you do end up purchasing the Third Person Controller I can send you a fix :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  33. Atzig

Atzig

I don't mean to keep bothering you about issues with the demo or anything like that but while crouched and sprinting, the character falls through the water. Anyway, purchased!

34. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Hi, I'm considering buying this asset but before I do I took a look at the clean scene demo. Since Unity Web player crashes every time I try the scene I downloaded the demo for windows. I really hope the demo isn't representative of the final product. I couldn't shoot any weapons, I had a bug where I somehow managed to float around, the adventure style demo has the character constantly running and the mouse control demo has the player constantly following the mouse without click. Is it just the demo?

35. opsive

opsive

That doesn't sound good ;) I just tried the Windows demo and was able to shoot after picking up the pistols/rocket launcher. Have you ever been able to shoot or does it just occur with the adventure character? I also had to click with the PointClick movement type in order to get the character to move.

36. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Can't shoot with any character. I also can't sprint with any character. I suppose it's shift to sprint?

Ok, that's wierd...whenever I alt-tab to the demo it shoots once.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  37. opsive

opsive

Do you have any controller/unique keyboards attached? Without any input integrations the Third Person Controller uses Unity's input manager which is showing its age. The default mapping is setup for a mouse/keyboard and an Xbox controller so if you have anything else connected it could cause problems. For this situation Rewired does a great job at handling the various types of controllers.

38. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Indeed I have an N52 keyboard extension. So it is just my setup then. One question: with point to click I assume I could change the guy to use melee weapons?

39. opsive

opsive

Yes, you can. With the default point click controls the right mouse button will use the weapon, whether that is a melee or shootable weapon.

Grendelbiter likes this.
  40. bmccall1

bmccall1

Hi i just purchased this asset. I followed the tutorial and got a character with a gun in his hand, part of default load out but when I start the game, i'm just holding the weapon, and not acting as if its two handed. If I press T and put away the weapon and pull it back out, i am two handed, but I don't see my reticle (I did assign the sprite)

And aim doesn't work (it zooms, but no reticle) and of course, I cannot shoot.

What have i missed?

41. opsive

opsive

As a sanity check, do the demo scenes work? Also, here's a non-edited video where I create a character and assign a weapon:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1pmn1mhyn7js39/DougAssaultRifle.avi?dl=0

In this video I didn't align the weapon but you can see that it fires. This video may help as it's a continuous video instead of being broken down into sections.

42. bmccall1

bmccall1

The demo scenes do work. I will look at the video but i did what you said in the tutorial. Is there an easy way to remove the gun without going to the load out, changing it, removing the item, etc. Its like several steps to remove a weapon, and I really don't want to recreate the charactre because i've already done all the positioning.

Any gotchas you can think of - as to why i am not aiming or shooting, or an easy way to remove a created weapon would be super helpful.

Thank you for the help!

43. opsive

opsive

To remove a weapon you'll need to remove the Item GameObject and also remove the ItemType from the inventory. It should be pretty quick to do those two things.

If you create a second character you can then copy the Transform values from the original character's weapons which should make creating a test character easy.

You can try to increase the "Item Use Rotation Threshold" on the RigidbodyCharacterController to 180 but if the character isn't aiming at all it sounds like it is something else. That's the only idea that I have off of the top of my idea - if you try again and it still doesn't work I can take a quick look at it if you send me your character and scene (support@opsive.com)

44. bmccall1

bmccall1

Hey opsive, here is a link to a test scene i created that follows your video as best i could. Our UIs are different for some reason..
    Esited

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  45. opsive

opsive

I just looked at your scene and it looks like you created an AssaultBullet ConsumableItemType, but the AssaultRifle PrimaryItemType is still using the included AssaultRifleBullets ConsumableItemType. If you change your Inventory component to use the included AssaultRifleBullets ConsumableItemType you'll have the first problem fixed:

Loadout.PNG

The next set of errors related to transition errors:

It looks like you used the name "AssaultRifle" when in the Animator Controller the item is named "Assault Rifle":

Name.PNG

From there everything will work properly except the Assault Rifle is spinning. I am going to look into this but for now you can just remove the Rigidbody on the AssaultRifle GameObject - you'll then be good to go!

For comparison I have attached the test scene to this thread.

Attached Files:

46. lezan_

lezan_

Hello Justin,
    I am try to use TPC with DontDestroyOnLoad() function but I have a some error:

Code (csharp):
    2. UnassignedReferenceException: The variable m_CapsuleCollider of RigidbodyCharacterController has not been assigned.
    3. You probably need to assign the m_CapsuleCollider variable of the RigidbodyCharacterController script in the inspector.
    4. UnityEngine.CapsuleCollider.get_center () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/modules/Physics/DynamicsBindings.gen.cs:2589)
    5. Opsive.ThirdPersonController.CameraController.ImmediatePosition (Quaternion targetRotation)
    6. Opsive.ThirdPersonController.CameraController.ImmediatePosition ()
    7. Opsive.ThirdPersonController.CameraController.InitializeCharacter (UnityEngine.GameObject character)
    8. Opsive.ThirdPersonController.CameraController.Awake ()

Code (csharp):
    2. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Transform' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    3. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    4. UnityEngine.Transform.get_rotation () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/TransformBindings.gen.cs:85)
    5. Opsive.ThirdPersonController.ControllerHandler.FixedUpdate ()

Code (csharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. Opsive.ThirdPersonController.Input.UnityInput.GetButton (System.String name)
    4. Opsive.ThirdPersonController.CameraHandler.Update ()

To use DontDestroyOnLoad() I created a GameObject and attached to it a script with DontDestroyOnLoad function. I put this GameObject on both scenes.

How can I solve it?

47. opsive

opsive

I just tried in my dev branch and I wasn't able to reproduce it - I remember fixing a caching issue related to the camera though so that's probably what fixed it. Send me a PM with your invoice number and I'll send you a new set of scripts to try out.

48. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Hello,

I'm trying to set up an UMA character with the third person controller but i'm not having any luck. As far as I can tell I have it set up exactly like in the demo scene. When I press play the character never appears and it throws a nullreference.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException
    2. UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate[GameObject] (UnityEngine.GameObject original) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.cs:202)
    3. Opsive.ThirdPersonController.Integration.UMA.UMAItemBuilder.BuildItem (UMA.UMAData umaData) (at Assets/Third Person Controller/Integrations/UMA/UMAItemBuilder.cs:53)
    4. UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`1[UMA.UMAData].Invoke (System.Object[] args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent.cs:188)
    5. UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent.cs:634)
    6. UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent.cs:769)
    7. UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1[T0].Invoke (.T0 arg0) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent_1.cs:53)
    8. UMA.UMAData.FireUpdatedEvent (Boolean cancelled) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAData.cs:985)
    9. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.UMAReady () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:300)
    10. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.HandleDirtyUpdate (UMA.UMAData data) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:241)
    11. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:253)
    12. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Work () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:131)
    13. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Update () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:96)
    Edit: Ahem well the character not building was due to hide being checked, I have no idea why. It still is throwing that same exception though and if I choose point click as control method it's throwing a bunch more and the character doesn't move. He does move with combat controls though.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  49. opsive

opsive

Line 53 of UMAItemBuilder.BuildItem points to:

Code (csharp):
    1. var item = GameObject.Instantiate(m_AddableItems[i].Base) as GameObject;
    Based off of that error m_AddableItems or the base object could be null. Within the UMAItemBuilder component did you make sure to specify all of the fields?

50. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Thank you that was it. I commented out the lines that added items in the character setup script and now that exception is gone.

If I try to control the character with point click it gives me 7 exceptions all with the same message:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Opsive.ThirdPersonController.PointClickControllerHandler.FixedUpdate ()
    The character doesn't react in any way either. <Edit: actually that's wrong. The character jumps if i hit spacebar and looks around if i hold right mouse button. The camera is wierd too. I tried setting only TopDown in Camera States but it always chooses third person. If I manually change the active state during runtime to top down the camera orbits around the character.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.