Search Unity

Third Person Controller - Third Person, AI, Multiplayer, Mobile Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opsive

opsive

Sure, you could replace the patrol task with the wander task. For this demo I used the patrol task since I already used the wander task for a different situation.

eridani likes this.
  2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hope for the full adventure demo soon.
    Any info´s about the status of that?

3. opsive

opsive

We're getting there. We are creating an entire new character and scene to go along with it so it takes a bit longer than just using Unity's standard assets. We'll post a few of screenshots of our adventure scene progress in a couple of days.

4. opsive

opsive

It's looking like Unity 5 could be released this week so I submitted a new version of the Third Person Controller that includes a Unity 5 package. On the Asset Store this appears as version 0.83a beta. There aren't any real changes between this and version 0.83 so there's really no reason to update.

The new ability/animator structure is going well and we are just working on polishing it along with adding a few new animations. This version should go out this week.

5. opsive

opsive

I thought that this was pretty cool so I figured that I had to post:

AnimatorParameters.PNG

The parameter list on the left is from the old animator. In this version each ability basically has its own set of parameters.

With the current version, the state transitions are based off of the State ID parameter, and that parameter is set by the abilities. Basically instead of the abilities setting their specific parameter value they now set this generic State ID value. The Int Data and Float Data parameters can be used for storage across abilities (for example, the jumping ability tells the falling ability what leg is forward with Int Data) or they can be used for a blend tree if you don't want to blend against the one of the top four parameters.

TonyLi and hopeful like this.
  6. opsive

opsive

This next update is taking longer than we wanted but overall it is going well and we should have it out soon. The adventure scene has been delayed a bit due to this update but we'll post screenshots as soon as we can.

This new ability system is working out really well and it will make adding new abilities really easy. In this update we are also including two new types of animations: vault and roll. Here's a screenshot of vault:

Vault.png
    The vault ability can work with objects that are any height.

TheLetterS, gurayg and TonyLi like this.
  7. jerotas

jerotas

Hi Opsive, we like your other plugin (Behavior Designer) so seeing your name on this asset makes us consider it. We're working on a multiplayer game using Bolt, and converting this plugin's controls (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11786) to work with Bolt in the "command / authoritive" Bolt way seems too difficult due to the modular and complex code. For example, there are 4 scripts on your player with that plugin, that all interact with each other, and the IsGrounded function does 9 raycasts among other things.

Any idea if your plugin would be any easer to adapt to multi-player such as this? Have any of your users attemped this?

Thanks!

8. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at the Third Person Controller Brian!

I've seen Bolt and read some of the documentation but I haven't used it. I haven't done any networking in Unity so I can't say one way or another, but I am planning on adding networking support to the Third Person Controller shortly (we first need to get this ability update out the door..). Instead of using a third party for networking I am going to try to implement it with Unity 5's new networking layer but I don't know how well that actually works so it may not be possible.

In this post Edgars mentioned that it would be straight forward to add Photon support to the scripts but I don't know how well that translates to Bolt. I can tell you that it was easy to add Behavior Designer support so I am hoping that networking won't be too hard.. but we'll see.

Also, the Third Person Controller grounded check only does one raycast ;)

9. opsive

opsive

This update took us awhile but the new ability update has been sent to opsive.com purchases and should appear on the store soon! You can see the full release notes here.

You'll notice that the Animator controller has been completely changed to go along with the new system. If you've already replaced your animations you can either modify your controller to have a similar structure as the included one or add your animations to the included controller. Sorry about this major structural change but I do not plan on reworking this system anymore so you don't have to worry about this happening again :)

The PrimaryItemType no longer uses an ID field. Instead it uses the name of the substate machine to designate which set of animations to play. Make sure you fill in this value before you hit play. The GUI images are now stored within this item type as well.

Pistol.PNG

The last major change goes along with the new ability system. If you are using your already created character you'll notice that he won't have as much functionality as he previously did before, such as being able to jump. This is because the ability hasn't been added and you'll need to add it back under the RigidbodyCharacterController Inspector:

Ability.PNG

10. opsive

opsive

A new version of the Third Person Controller has been released on the Asset Store and sent to opsive.com purchases. You can see the full release notes here. This was purely a bugfix update after receiving feedback on the new ability system. It also improves some of the animations and the synching between the lower body and upper body layers.

11. Stiffx

Stiffx

Nice project, let me ask you one thing, are you using rune's Locomotion system in this pack? I've tried your demo and it feels like so. just a tip: You could add a pickup animation to pickup weapons on the floor.

Anyways it's very nice. :)

12. opsive

opsive

Thanks! Good idea with the pickup animation. I've been following your project as well and you are adding some neat features :)

The locomotion actually isn't using Rune's version. Way back when we first started this project I used the Unity sample assets for reference but it has evolved a lot since then. The movement is controlled by a blend tree using horizontal and vertical input as parameters.

Stiffx likes this.
  13. Stiffx

Stiffx

Thank you for your kind comment. I see...Witch solution did you use for foot placement, I'm asking cause I want to work on my own solution but of course would be great to hear from somebody that is one step ahead.
    Of course,would be my pleasure if you need anything from me.

Cheers

14. opsive

opsive

All of the IK is done with a custom solution. It would be nice to be able to offload that now that IK doesn't require the pro version in Unity 5 but for now it's custom.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  15. Stiffx

Stiffx

I see thank you for your attention and keep it up it's a very nice project.

Cheers

16. charles01

charles01

After reading all this comments i got it, can't wait to start using it and hope to see more animation, Great work :).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  17. opsive

opsive

Appreciate it! :)

The past couple of weeks have been slow because our artist has been learning proper PBR techniques, but she's over the hurdle now and we'll have new and improved textures in this update. The textures obviously don't really matter but it'll serve as a base for the adventure scene.

This update will also contain improved IK, uGUI support, as well as a sniper.

18. charles01

charles01

Can you add animations like Super Mario etc ? a character doing double jump.

19. opsive

opsive

Sure, I've written it down. We are going to first get this adventure scene out and then we'll be able to take a look at it. If you want to add it earlier, take a look at the ability documentation. The ability system should allow for any type of animation sequence and the double jump ability would be very similar to the jumping ability. When we get out of beta I am planning on recording a new set of videos and one of those is a demonstration of adding a new ability (in fact, double jump may be a good contender for which ability I add in the video)

20. charles01

charles01

Cool ! :)

21. opsive

opsive

The next update to the Third Person Controller is going well and one of the new features is that you can put the camera in a top down mode:

TopDown.PNG

You can play the top down demo here. To change the camera to a top down view all you have to do is select the view mode from the popup:

TopDownCamera.PNG

The Camera Controller inspector will automatically update to show you only the parameters specific to the top down view.

22. eridani

eridani

The top down mode looks good!

One issue is that I can stick my weapon through a wall and shoot through it.

23. gurayg

gurayg

Looking great! This opens up a lot of new possibilities. Thanks for the addition!
    Not sure why but I wasn't able to roll. "X" key is supposed to roll but it didn't work for me.
    Just a small suggestion: If you're considering to add jumping to this demo, It might be better if "Space" key as both jump and Vault when the player is close and facing a "vaultable" object.

24. opsive

opsive

Thanks! Good catch - just uploaded a new version that has it fixed. A new sphere collider was all that it took.

Thank you! I actually had the roll ability disabled so that's why it didn't work - I just removed it form the controls list on the webpage.

I didn't add jump to this demo because most of the top down games that I have seen don't have jump, but there's no reason why it can't be added. With the ability system you should be able to do something like the following:

ability.PNG
    Both Vault and Jump have the same Input Name and Input Start Type. Since Vault is a higher priority than Jump, when the space bar is pressed it will be evaluated first to determine if it can be started. It will be able to be started if the character is near a vaultable object. If the character is not near a vaultable object then the next ability will be evaluated, which in this case is Jump.

MikeTon and eridani like this.
  25. eridani

eridani

In my experience, the standard top-down setup is that the WASD (or left joystick on mobile) moves the character and the mouse (or right joystick on mobile) determines the character's aim direction.

So for example you can be shooting toward the right side of the screen while running backward toward the left side of the screen. Here's two examples:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/20403
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19021

Is this setup possible with your asset? Because your asset uses real human character animations (unlike the two examples), you would need a blend tree that knows when to play a run backward or run sideways animation etc. depending on a combination of movement direction and aim direction.

Thanks!

26. opsive

opsive

I waited to respond until I could answer yes :) Here's a new demo -

http://opsive.com/assets/ThirdPersonController/topdowndemo.php

You are right in that it was a little bit tricky to get the movement working correctly with the animator. My goal for this asset is to make things as easy as possible so I didn't want to have to change the animator to get it working. I added a new movement type to the character controller that will translate the world movement direction to a local movement direction. This prevents you from having to change the animator at all and you can easily switch between the different movement types.

Right now it is only using the mouse position to determine where to look but before we submit I'll make sure it works with mobile and a controller as well.

MikeTon likes this.
  27. eridani

eridani

You are good. Real good. Work fast too. Gold star from me

opsive likes this.
  28. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Adventure Demo where you are ?
    Oh, i know, good things will take some time :)
    Just be courios.

29. opsive

opsive

I wish it was done as well :)

The new adventure character is done but not textured. The scene model is mostly done as well but needs to be textured. We decided that this scene would use Unity 5 so our artist had to learn Substance Designer/Painter. This is where the holdup mostly was. As a test for real world objects, our artist has been retexturing the shooter character/weapons and she will be done with that today. I'll get her to post some WIP screenshots of the adventure scene when she gets back to that. I am really looking forward to this scene because it will really show off the controller's ability system.

Not directly related to the adventure scene, the next Third Person Controller version should be released within a week. The major new features for this version include Adventure Creator integration, IK improvements, a sniper, uGUI support, a top down demo, and a new idle state instead of having idle grouped in with the movement blend tree

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  30. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Thank you for the news :)

31. Licarell

Licarell

AC Integration WHOOP WHOOP!!!

opsive likes this.
  32. opsive

opsive

Since this next version is going to support uGUI we are thinking of just supporting Unity 4.6 and above. The alternative is to package uGUI as a separate scene but that could get messy. I'm assuming that most people have switched to Unity 5 especially if they are just starting a new project so this won't be a problem, but does anybody have a good reason to keep Unity 4.3-4.5 support?

33. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

im not really sure you will have complaints if you only support unity 5 now with new pro version for everyone

34. opsive

opsive

Thanks, I agree with you but with Unity 5 only being out for a month I want to give it some more time before we completely drop support for Unity 4. The adventure scene will be exclusive to Unity 5 though so eventually we'll convert the warehouse scene to Unity 5 as well. Basically what you are saying is that you don't think we'll have a problem supporting 4.6+ :)

35. opsive

opsive

This next update is turning into a pretty major update. Here's a preview of the new uGUI UI:

GUI.PNG

We also added a weapon wheel:

WeaponWheel.png
    All of the demo scenes have been updated with this new UI.

36. eridani

eridani

You're absolutely smart about this. Unity 5 is awesome but it's going through those growing pains all new software has to go through.

Does the weapon wheel auto-adjust for additional weapons in the inventory, or is it hardcoded for just these specific weapons?

EDIT: Not saying you need to change the weapon wheel, because it looks really good and useful. Just making a point of comparison that may or may not be useful to you. The most elegant way I have seen in a shooter to change weapons is a small window in the upper right corner which shows the current weapon. You can swipe this window left or right to choose the next or previous weapon. There are only as many swiping choices as there are weapons in your inventory. Swiping right chooses more powerful weapons, left weaker weapons. I liked how this system accounted only for weapons actually in your inventory, and the choices would expand or contract automatically.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  37. opsive

opsive

Currently the weapon wheel is just a static image with a button attached to it. You'll notice that we have a blank spot in the upper left for future expansion. Having it auto expand would be a neat idea, though I'm not sure how much work it would be to dynamically adjust each wheel slice to the correct angle.
    I've seen that method used on mobile and you're right it does work really well. It would be similar to pressing Q or E on the keyboard in the existing demo. Right now the mobile UI is more for function than beauty but I've added that to the list for when we do another pass on mobile.

eridani likes this.
  38. MIK3K

MIK3K

Wow Opsive - Decided to see how this controller was going because haven't checked for a while (I really don't need another 3rd person controller) and love your Behavior Designer. Big mistake! :mad:

I guess I should go download my new toy. Thanks!

39. opsive

opsive

:)

I really like how this asset is structured and I can't wait to get this adventure scene out. When we get that scene out the Third Person Controller will then be out of beta and I'll record a set of videos showing how the major systems work (such as the ability system)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  40. MIK3K

MIK3K

This is such a great learning asset. Tons of great stuff in here but it is a very lean package for a full feature controller at 75 MB and the price is a great bargain just to see how to set everything up. I have another controller (that one that is probably the most popular FPS controller) that weighs in at around 500 MB. On top of that the famous Behavior Designer quality made this an easy buy. Hook up some of those Kubold animset animations to this controller would be amazing.

41. opsive

opsive

I've seen somebody use this controller with Kubold's animations and it does look good. I'm really happy to hear that it has been a great learning resource. And I do agree with the price - there is so much stuff packed in this asset. Our strategy has been to price it lower than normal during the beta phase just to get the reviews and then slowly increase it as soon as it hits 1.0 (which is when the adventure scene comes out). I feel like I've been talking about this adventure scene for awhile now - I'm looking forward to getting it out just so I can stop talking about it. ;)

We are closing in on the next update and it'll be released on Thursday at the latest. We just got the sniper in, here's a screenshot of the scope UI -

Sniper GUI.png

42. Gametyme

Gametyme

Looking good! I Also think swipe to change weapon would be better for mobile.

43. opsive

opsive

The Third Person Controller version 0.86 has been sent to opsive.com purchases and should be on the Asset Store soon. This is a major update with a lot of new features. You can see the full list here. Here are some of the highlights:

Top Down Mode
    TopDown.png

uGUI support
    ScreenshotE.png

Added a Sniper Rifle
    ScreenshotC.png

Adventure Creator Integration
    AdventureCreatorSample.png

Playmaker Integration
    PlaymakerSample.png

The Adventure Creator and Playmaker integration files can be downloaded from this page.

44. sefou

sefou

Hello opsive,

have you integrate xbox 360 controller ?

Thanks

45. opsive

opsive

I have been using an Xbox One controller but the 360 uses the same mapping so yes. All of the input uses Unity's standard Input Manager so if you don't like a particular mapping it is easy to change.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  46. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

Hi, I checked the demos and I think this is a good asset and plan to get it soon, but I found a bug and I have to warn you about it. I found out that if you are not aligned correctly with the cover or jump over concrete barricade areas and press the "F" key, the character don't complete the programed action and got stuck instead. There's a gap between the designated area to complete the action and the area in which you start to see the icon and if you're not aligned correctly with the designated area but see the icon already, you get stuck when you press "F". You try to move but you get stuck and the only thing you can do is look around with your mouse. Is that bug only in the demo only or the asset have it as well? How can I fix it in the case that I have that bug in my game? Thanks!

47. opsive

opsive

Thanks for letting me know! If you do hit a bug I'll send you the change as soon as I fix it so you don't have to wait for a new Asset Store version. Asset Store assets are both my and my partner's fulltime job so we generally can get bugs fixed pretty quickly.

In terms of this bug, I think that I know what is causing it but I haven't been able to reproduce it. Can you take a screenshot of the starting location before you hit the "F" key and get stuck?

48. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am not sure but had a look at the last updated version. Do i miss something or is the adventure part not inside? Just asking because i thought it should be there. Any news on that? I understand that quality goes before feauture :)

49. opsive

opsive

It's not there yet. The latest update added a top down scene but that was basically just assets from the prototype scene. @TheLetterS will post an update in a couple of hours with a screenshot of the character.

Looking back on it we probably should have started on the adventure scene animations first so we could use the prototype assets. Instead we decided to go all in and create a full-fledged scene with custom assets.

50. TheLetterS

TheLetterS

Here is the first screenshot of the adventure scene character, Naomi!
    NaomiScreenshot.png
    I'm designing this adventure scene to be a modern training grounds. There will be areas for "training" with each weapon type, vines/ladders to climb, platforms to jump to, ledges to move across, etc. Eventually a swimming area :) This scene has been really fun to work on so far.

I'm still in the beginning of designing the scene so if you have any suggestions now is a great time to let me know. I'm open to hear any specific weapons or ability type requests.

Thanks!
    Sarah

TonyLi, gurayg and twobob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.