Search Unity

Third person camera stutters when facing a large number of objects.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sumanth1827, Jun 16, 2022.

1. sumanth1827

sumanth1827

I'm working on this third-person shooter game. I made the controller using cinemachine and everything seems to finally work fine. On the side, I'm working on a city for the game. It still isn't that big but there are a few big low poly buildings (maybe about 50 objects in total). So when I face towards the city and move my mouse, it stutters a lot and overall is not smooth at all. If I look in the other direction it's perfectly smooth. I checked the FPS as well and it does not really fluctuate. The movement while facing the city doesn't stutter, it's only the camera. I tried disabling the city part and there's no stutter then. I don't think I have nearly enough assets yet for it to be a performance issue. If it is a performance issue then how would I even continue building the city if it stutters just for a few buildings?

I've seen a lot of stuttering threads but most of them are linked to the update methods and their stutter is consistent in all directions. Since in my case it happens only when a decent number of objects are present, could someone please help me out?

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Try measuring fps in the game view using Graphy from the Asset Store. Pretty sure you‘ll see a drop in fps, I can‘t think of anything besides lowered fps causing a stutter even if you only drop a single frame every couple frames.

Have you checked the profiler? It could also be due to editor overhead.