Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.4 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Third Person Camera follow behind character

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by jdscogin, May 26, 2020.

1. jdscogin

jdscogin

I would like a camera to follow behind a character. If the player turns left, the camera would stay behind. I am sure this is simple, but I can't figure it out. Using CineMachine.

2. gaborkb

gaborkb

Unity Technologies

We have a few third person camera examples. Update your cinemachine version to preview version 2.6, and then import our samples.
    Check these scenes: 3rdPersonWithAim, DualTarget, and AimingRig.

Attached Files:

3. jdscogin

jdscogin

Thanks!

4. Devsagi

Devsagi

Hello there,

I have installed the update 2.6 and imported the samples. I tested the Scene 3rdPersonWithAim and AimingRig, but the camera movement there stutters a lot, especially when the frame rate varies.
    I remember the Cinemachine Free Look camera having the same problem before it got improved with the "Input Value Gain" setting recently.
    How can I achieve a similar smoothness improvement for the 3rd Person Follow mode?

Best regards

5. jdscogin

jdscogin

This worked, but now I have a problem. The character I use (mixamo) must wobble back and forth when he is walking. This causes the camera to wobble.Does not look right. I can't figure out how to keep this from happening. Can you help? See the video link.

6. jdscogin

jdscogin

I found a different walk animation that works ok. It is from Macamin Ethan.

gaborkb likes this.
  7. gaborkb

gaborkb

Unity Technologies

The third person camera does not have a built-in input control. This camera tracks the follow object's orientation to determine the aim, whereas the FreeLook camera has a built-in input control which determines aim based on input.

If you experience stutter on the camera, then it may be because your follow target stutters.

8. jdscogin

jdscogin

Yes, that is the problem. The character moves to the left and right as he walks.

gaborkb likes this.
  9. gaborkb

gaborkb

Unity Technologies

In this case, separate the animation from the transform.
    For example, you could have an empty gameObject that tracks position and orientation based on your inputs. Then have your character with animation as a child of this empty gameObject.

jdscogin likes this.
unityunity