Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ThinkPad 8 Always Crashed.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Angry-Water, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

Hi, Professionals,

I am trying to build a test build on an older device ThinkPad 8, but no matter how do I try, it always gets crashed after Unity3D logo every time.

The build setting is:

"Windows Store"
    "XAML C++/C# solution" (both tried)
    "Universal 8.1/8.1/8.0" (all tried)
    "Local Machine"
    "Development Build"​

It always works on my desktop PC, but always gets crashed on the Lenovo ThinkPad 8 even when I tried to build a GUIText "HELLO WORLD" only, it's still bad luck.

But on the big PC or Windows Phone, things go well no matter which project has been built.

What's wrong with that crap Pad? :(

2. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

I don't know what had happened, after I changed these options, and build and play, my blank project can work on ThinkPad 8, will try AngryBot again:

Untitled-2.png

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

could you post more info? Do you have a stacktrace of the crash? Maybe the player log? What's the OS version of your tablet?

4. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

Hi,

I am sorry for not so familiar to the tablet, so I don't have too much to provide but some simple info.

1. It's a Win 8.1 tablet.
    2. If build out a VS project in U3D, and let VS 2013 to build the debug version without "publish to store" option from the "market" function on the VS menu, it will crash all the time.
    3. If build & run in U3D, let it run in local desktop at first, then copy the x86 project to the tablet executed by PowerShell, it will work.

So far I only knew things above,hope maybe a little help.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you go to Control Panel -> System and post a screenshot of that? It will contain specific version.

How do you deploy the project? You can't just copy the files - you either have to build an application package and install it using Power Shell, or you have to deploy it with "Remote Machine" option in visual studio.

6. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

I think the screen shot will cause you confused because traditional Chinese language system. But I can tell you the info is:

Tablet's Info:

Windows 8.1 Professional
    Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z3795 @ 1.60 GHz 1.60 GHz
    RAM: 4.00GB (3.90 GB Available)
    System: 64 Bits System, x64 CPU

The desktop PC's Info is similar, except the Win 8.1 is Enterprise version and RAM is 8 GB, CPU is i3.

No, you mistook, I don't only copy files, I copy the whole things which Unity3D built out, the whole project, and run the "Add-AppDevPackage.ps1" by PowerShell, it will register successful, told you app was installed, then APP WILL CRASHED AFTER Unity3D LOADING LOGO.

If I took the files only, how could it be launched and show the logo when I touch the app in the "ALL APPS" list?

In the official guide, it said I can export the project by "Build" function and open it in VS 2013, modify things, and build out App later. So I do it but not work.

The document must be here:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/wp8-deployment.html

If I can only build & run, how could I build out a version to upload the store? Did you mean I can not test the version which I prepared for store on my own device?

BUT, IF I USE "BUILD" TO EXPORT VS PROJECT, THEN BUILD IT WITH VS 2013, SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED BY POWERSHELL "Add-AppDevPackage.ps1" AS AN APP, IT CAN RUN ON MY DESKTOP PC AND CRASHED ON THE TABLET DEVICE
    . (The project folder will include "Debug" word.)

The installation will success if I "Build & Run" at first, see it running on the local PC machine, then copy the full package on my device, such as "AppPackages\JustATest.Windows_1.0.0.0_x86_Master_Test" which folder's name has the "Master" in the folder's name, and execute "Add-AppDevPackage.ps1" file under it, IT WILL WORK WHEN IT TOLD ME THE APP IS INSTALLED, AND TAP THE APP, IT WILL RUN NORMALLY.

Maybe I had mistaken some steps of the document, so please tell me what should I do if I want to test its store version before I uploading an app?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  7. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

BTW, I am trying the VS remote tool to debug with PC + Line connect, Tablet + WiFi.... That's slow to transfer deployment data. I wonder what steps I had missed. :(

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Alright, I might know the issue is. When you build the app package from Visual Studio, select to build a "master" package, rather than the debug one. It might be the case that it's missing some debug runtime dependencies.

9. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

Ok, thank you, I will take your suggestion.

It helps, because I don't have direct link from Tablet but only WiFi. I have found the WiFi was too slow to do remote debug things. I need to copy the whole project by the USB memory stick or net disk.

BTW, hope new U3D 4.6.1 64-bits iOS support version could release soon, thank you for hard work.