Search Unity

Thinking about moving to Godot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mysticfall, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's not for no reason at all.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@PaulTaulborg

My comment regarding why engine threads get locked - it was for anyone listening. It's pretty common. It's why engine threads have gotten locked before (when users start passionately bashing or defending and so forth).

But you just said:
    And previously you said that I was being defensive / getting mad at you and had double standards, and now I am apparently passive aggressive.

I am certain I've treated you neutral throughout but how would you say you've treated me so far?

3. PaulTaulborg

PaulTaulborg

Oh, so moderators get to run rampant just posting passive aggressive remarks towards users, who have differing opinions about a Game Engine? Got it

Xrayez likes this.
  4. mysticfall

mysticfall

That is a perfectly valid standpoint, but so is the other one that you do not agree, in my opinion.

These days supporting software projects - be it open source or not - have become a quite common thing and not only individuals but also companies regularly do that.

And it also affects those who just want to use softwares without supporting them. When software projects like Blender get better by such means, it benefts everyone in the end.

And with an open source project like Godot, it's often not just supporting the project, but also participating in it that really matters. For some people, being able to be a part of the team to make the software they use themselves can have a strong attraction.

That is why even those who do not have programming skill are actively participating in writing documentation of Godot, like it is the case with many other open source projects.

Some people just want to find a tool that works best for them, while others want to be a part of a team that makes them. They are mutually helping each other by either encouraging the competition or improving the software themselves.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Ryiah likes this.
  5. PaulTaulborg

PaulTaulborg

Saying "So this is how engine threads get locked" right after I posted my opinions about the engine != treating me neutral. That was rude and uncalled for. No reason for it.

Xrayez likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I can see you have made your own mind up and choose not to accept my explanation. So my advice to you is to try Unity out, get some game demos done and see if it suits your needs.

Topics like this are distractions and ... I'll say it again, this sort of argumentative chatter is usually what will get these topics locked, so if anyone's reading and dreading the lock, it won't be the first time :)

You should also know that moderators aren't hired unity staff, we're just a helpful bunch around a lot with decent experience.

angrypenguin likes this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

I would imagine companies are even more likely to have the same viewpoint that @zombiegorilla has.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hmmmm..

I'd hate to see another engine thread locked, they can be a very useful resource. Not only because it can take years to really understand an engine properly (especially today with their mammoth size and tool sets) but because there are workflow / methodology and technological enhancements continuously in development which we can baseline to enhance either our own integrations in Unity or Unity's integrations.

Get enough backing and Unity will eventually follow suite, we've seen it with cinematic tools etc. There's been too many that's cool moments from even smaller engines to ignore benefits..

It's a shame we can't have a more productive back and forth (with Unity involved) in a lot of cases.

mysticfall, Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  9. mysticfall

mysticfall

Yes, they are in some ways. It's understandable for companies to prioritize such activities that can earn them money, unlike individuals who can choose to do things that can make them feel good.

That being said, these days most of the software companies rely heavily on open source projects and even Unity is not an exception. Also, some companies choose to actively support or even participate in the development of open source projects, and it's been that way outside of game industry for quite a long time.

10. PaulTaulborg

PaulTaulborg

Topics like this are not a distraction, unless people are flaming each other left and right. A little discourse about differing opinions, about an engine is perfectly valid. Although, since you are a moderator, what I just said is irrelevant as you have the final say. But just saying, your passive remark towards me didn't help either. That was not nice.

People always wonder why Godot doesn't have any popular 3d games, and I just explained to them why, and they still don't want to understand. I give up.

11. Pancake67

Pancake67

Yes please. Nothing would make us happier in the Godot community than Nick moving to Unity. Please Nick, stop using Godot and move to Unity.

He is the same individual who spammed GitHub some weeks ago, by the way.

Norrox87 likes this.
  12. mysticfall

mysticfall

I'd also hate it if this thread will get locked because of a single user, when everyone else has shown that they have no problem in discussing about another game engine in a rational manner.

On a side note, Godot 3.0 rc1 is just released, and I started a new open source project and even made a logo by ripping off the official icon :) :

Needless to say, it's just a proof-of-concept so far, but I've already learned a lot about the engine and I especially like how the UI/theming works.

HeadClot88, Ryiah and Norrox87 like this.
  13. Norrox87

Norrox87

Looks like i had the old version, tried the newest version of the scene, here are the result.
    Godot:
    Ultra Setting - https://pasteboard.co/H2WENuS.png
    High Setting - https://pasteboard.co/H2WDwso.png
    Low Setting - https://pasteboard.co/H2WEr2x.png

Unity:
    Fantastic Setting - https://pasteboard.co/H2WKFTQ.bmp

Note that these scenes are setup diffrent, the godot scene has more lights and reflections.. and yeah unity's scene is baked and godot's is not.
    I dont think godot is so slow on 3d that no game can be made with it..

I say to Godot what the Asgard say to O'Neil :)

MediaGiant likes this.
  14. PaulTaulborg

PaulTaulborg

Btw, you do realize only Patreon members get to vote on new features for the Godot engine, right? So much for open source.

Also, the WebSocket module that was supposed to be implemented with the $20,000 grant, still has not been added. However, a PR has been created by this user: https://github.com/godotengine/godot/pull/14888 which adds it. I assume, Godot will give him some of the funds from the grant for his work, right? Haha

15. Norrox87

Norrox87

You know open source does not mean people (or in this case a single person) are forced to add features for you right? :p you are still free to download the source and add the features you want yourself xD

16. PaulTaulborg

PaulTaulborg

Well I agree it's open source but I'm just saying as an "open source community", it's really not since new features are voted on behind a paywall (Patreon). Which seems odd.

Xrayez likes this.
  17. Pancake67

Pancake67

Does this affect you, Nick?

18. mysticfall

mysticfall

It's strange that I didn't pay anything but many of my feature requests and bug reports got already fixed or picked to be targeted for the next version.

I couldn't find any mention of such grants.

But I think you just did a great job in promoting Godot if it was true. You just showed how enthusiastic its community members are, so that they don't even care about the money but prefer just adding the feature right away themselves.

19. Pancake67

Pancake67

He also shows his love for Godot every day using his alter-ego accounts J.M. and D.B. Nick just loves complaining about Godot anonymously, and likely thought Unity forums may be a great place for a good tantrum.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locked.

Imakhiil, HeadClot88 and sngdan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.