Search Unity

Thinking about android, can someone with experience share?

Discussion in 'Android' started by JamesMobot, Sep 18, 2010.

1. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Ok so I have done a lot of googling and forum reading and found some specific information and a lot of fixes for troubles but......

I am just curious to hear from someone who has actually gone through the full process of releasing a unity game on android.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has released some iPhone stuff and is sort of maybe considering getting the android license. Especially with the discount.

It's just a pretty descent chunk of cash when you are not sure how well it even works. With unity i did the 30 day trial and was able to find out how awesome it was first.

Is converting an iphone game fairly straight forward or is it one of those things that ends up sounding straight forward in theory but in reality turns out to be a total nightmare to actually get up and running?

I did notice that iphoneInput was replaced by a more generic "input"

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is no discount on android, only Unity Pro and the iPhone licenses have discounts.
    Android pro is the full $1500 on top of U3 Pro (non pro android not available at the time)

3. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Good point.

I guess from my perspective not having pro and just iphone basic the overall upgrade would be less at this point. Plus the phone.

For my skill level the features of Pro havent seemed important to me as i dont mind the unity logo. 99.9% of gamers it think just assume its another game studio and dont even pay any attention. They just fire up the game and tap the crap out of it until the game starts. Pro would just be more of a means to be able to get the android version. I'd probably even just stick to iphone basic.

Im currently working on a 2.d plat former and if possible i would like to release it on android. I'm just wondering how difficult converting a final iphone basic project over is.

4. Wozik

Wozik

Porting time depends on your project. For basic projects this should not take too much. Think days rather than weeks.