Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Think twice before adding Multiplayer to your game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CarterG81, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schneider21

Schneider21

Nobody is allowed to vent about their frustrations anymore, for fear of being labeled as an entitled, lazy brat by MasterFrog.

:rolleyes:

CarterG81 likes this.
  2. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Pretty much.

Edit: Although, I guess it greatly depends on the venter's street cred.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

Then your street cred database needs an update, as Carter has significantly more of it than you do.

CarterG81 likes this.
  4. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Like getting banned from TIGSource and accusing one of the moderators of being some kind of super toxic creepy pervert, then coming over to Unity and posting a huge write-up on a game that is on indefinite hold and now accusing everyone in this community of being some kind of toxic moron trolls? Do you see a pattern, here? Apparently, Carter is too good for any community and in their own words,"Why should I care what anybody dumber than me has to say?" And trust me... Carter thinks everybody is dumber than they are. Yes, @Schneider21 even you.

Yeah.

That is so thug life, that is so mainstream and cool. Respect. You know what, I should just delete myself from the internet because I can never match that.

#Rekt #UnityDrama

I know, I know... "frog you're just an obvious forum troll"... that's right, I'm a troll. But someone who literally made a freaking 15,306 pixel tall, 2.64 MB jpeg of them "destroying" everybody else all night and is bragging about showing it to other people and them laughing at the stupidity of this community and who got a thread closed because they refused to stop self-destructing is totally legit, just a good citizen. Not a toxic forum troll like me.

My "street cred database" is fully up-to-date. You should probably try refreshing your view or something.

I predict... that Carter will now have a vendetta for @hippocoder because he closed that thread and will have to find a new community to tell everyone about how toxic hippo is. Because that's the pattern so far.

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

At least he's posted about games he's working on, rather than just writing pseudo-sage posts about how everyone should quit game development and go fight real life bad guys...

CarterG81 likes this.
  6. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

2/5

For reference:
    0/5 = Fail, plus no redeeming points for humor, style, or randomness (CarterG81)
    1/5 = Cringeworthy garbage, embarassing (I usually don't reply to this)
    2/5 = Weak, but you made some point in a coherent way or at least employed some type of wit, even irony
    3/5 = Mediocre, at best
    4/5 = Hey, nice
    5/5 = Well said, good point

After that it goes to different funny pictures from my funny images folder.

---

Why 2/5?

"At least this horrible thing has one quality you don't". No. At least Hitler had a good management skills? Wtf? At least Cancer is really efficient and unbiased? Wtf?

No.

Plus I have posted about games I have worked on.

Nvm.

1/5

7. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Between you and Carter, you guys are killing it with the likes lately. I can tell that everyone in the community really cares and agrees with you guys and empathizes with your struggles.

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

You and carter should just kiss already

CarterG81 likes this.
  9. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Hahaha.

Is funny because that's probably not something, given the circumstances, I would likely have any desire to do.

Comedy. Genius.

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

No, it's because you're both acting like a pair of children desperate to prove how much you hate each other to mask liking each other.

11. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

*Thinks Twice* ... still adds multiplayer to game ...

(this comment has no value but I'm procrastinating)

12. Schneider21

Schneider21

Huh? I'm not sure what this has to do with the conversation, but for your information, my Likes-Posts ratio is 1379/1498 (0.9205) while yours is 1124/1485 (0.7569).

So wouldn't that suggest the community cares more about and agrees more with me?

Also, what struggles did I mention? I have a wonderful life and greatly enjoy my game development hobby, and have never complained about it on this forum or anywhere else. Sounds like more of your projecting to me.

Good luck with your stuff, man. If being rude to people online is what gets you through the day, I wish you all the best, and hope that maybe someday you'll follow your own advice (and act on your previous claims) and quit.

Bye. :)

CarterG81 likes this.
  13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Damn I'm very unliked: 566/4052 = 13% ... :s

Not sure they had likes in 2010 though, maybe thats my defence... stupid metrics!

Here's a random screenshot of game I'm adding multiplayer to, please give me likes to redress the grave imbalance:
    Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 10.19.03 am.png
    (the procrastination is strong today)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  14. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Why? I mean, just why do people feel the need to put a stupid little finisher like "bye" at the end of their posts? Like, do you think that I'm reading your post with dramatic emphasis on all of the right words and when I get to the word "bye" I just have a braingasm, because at that moment I realize that I've just been owned... I just got roasted in the worst possible way and there is no coming back from this hell I'm in... because the person who owned me walked away like Horatio Caine from an explosion. Too devil-may-care to even be bothered with the aftermath of the burn they just inflicted. And then there's a F***ing smiley face... salt in the wound... I'm dead. I'm done. It's over, bury me now.

Look, if you go around trying to be an agreeable little snuggle bug in every thread, agreeing with all the popular kids and hissing at the "bad guys"... of course you're going to get a lot of likes. Agreeing with popular opinions makes your opinion popular. Isn't that just like, common sense?

Yeah, I'm just rude... and you're just the coolest guy with zero negativity who would never bother getting involved in some petty squabble on the internet with some toxic forum troll. You don't even know what negativity is because it isn't even in your vocabulary. You don't even own magnets because they're too bipolar for you.

See how many likes you're getting in this thread? That's pretty much what happens when you express your own opinion. At this rate, if you kept this up, your like ratio would end up being like 30% or something like that. I express my own opinion in every thread and I'm still at, what , 75%? That means out of every four posts I write, someone agrees with something I have to say... that's mind-blowing and awesome to me and tells me that I'm full of less S*** than ever.

I like posting on here. It's fun for me... there's nothing sad about it from my perspective. But if you think it's so sad, I think you should probably reevaluate why you're doing something that you think "only losers do" all of the time.

Bye. :)

horatio.gif

15. CarterG81

CarterG81

Master Frog, if you wanted me to unignore you because you desperately wanted my attention, then good job. You definitely succeeded.

Before we start, let me help everyone out. The concession stand is over there.

Well seeing as how I was banned because he was a super toxic creepy pervert, that makes sense I would state that.

Remember, this is the same super toxic creepy pervert who was denounced by Super Meat Boy developers Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes for being a corrupt asshole.

Not everyone. Just you. Hence why you are derail-raging in my thread, even in my complete absence.

Yes I do. I stand up against trolls like you or creeps like corrupt IGF judges. They get pissed off when I point out their immoral behavior, so they respond with anger & aggression. You're proving this pattern fits. Thank you.

That's weird. Apparently MasterFrog is able to read into my mind, view my soul, and judge me all across the internet. Impressive. Kindof like how he psychoanalyzed me.
    This kid has got some TALENT!

Why does this bother you? Do you believe my opinion of you is worth this much? I'm flattered. Thank you :)

MasterFrog is really, really angry at me. More than usual.
    He private messaged me six messages in a row without a single response from me. I responded "I didn't read that spam." and he spammed six more in a row. I had to leave the conversation & ignore all future messages.

Simultaneously as he was spamming me personally, he invited two other trollish figures into a second PM conversation he started with me, just to have some kind of rage party against me. All while I was absent. I guess they really wanted me to read it all. Lots of posts. They all seemed very angry. This was after I placed him on ignore for raging so hard at me in a thread.

It was pretty hilarious to know they felt this humiliated by my posts. I must be doing something right! Or wrong. Or successful ;)

:confused:

No one was destroyed in that image. Which btw, can be viewed HERE.
    Yes, I created that because it was very funny. If you notice, I also made fun of myself.
    It also had nothing to do with our arguments, which happened much later.
    I was very proud to make other people laugh. And it also was a pretty interesting method to do. It showed me how silly some of our "MMORPG" newbie-bashing threads are.

I think it's a good way to show others some of the toxic parts of the gamedev community in a humorous way.

I also think @JamesLeeNZ would actually enjoy that image. I found his posts to be the funniest, and see him in a new light after summarizing everyone else's posts. I know he enjoys some good popcorn show.

Trolling has a more negative connotation to it. Like going out of their way to try to publicly attack users by derailing threads.
    What I do... I'd like to think it's a tad bit different. I see trolls in action, and I private message them before placing them on ignore. It's a reasonable response to a very unreasonable person. It also helps to prevent spamming the community with stuff (like this) that they honestly don't care to see.

Although some enjoy the show, and I can't let me fans down!

Yep, and you're building it very well in this thread.

I actually love hippocoder & respect his posts. While we don't always agree, he is one of the best moderators & one of the biggest reasons I love this community. Especially considering he very quickly acted to prevent someone very creepy from DOXING me. Creepy people like you.
    That thread needed to be locked the moment you stepped into it. By the time it was locked, it was just 3 insane people (one of which were you) using tremendous amounts of cognitive bias to dismiss any valid arguments others were making. All while I had given up (having realized how irrational you were) & made fun of your horrible logic with gif mockery. Very unproductive stuff, although I had a great time facepalm-laughing at the incredible responses. Why would I oppose a lock of a thread like that? I'm a very reasonable individual. Those who live by logic understand what they're doing when they act "silly" or parade around with lots of fun gifs. You'd understand that if you didn't live by your emotions & project those emotions onto your reasonable opponents.

I know that I get under the skin of trolls very easily. I have a special talent for that. Even when I tone it down, I still manage to drive people over the edge. Well, maybe. It might just be because they see "Female" in my profile & that drives them over the edge after my arguments pissed them off or my absurd mockery of their bad logic made them feel humiliated. I couldn't help but notice in your 12-private-message-in-a-row spam you blabbered about how I was Female. I didn't read it, but it isn't surprising if that enraged you even more. "How DARE a FEMALE humiliate me! Especially after they deprived me of the sex I am entitled to! HULKFROG SMASH!"

Regardless, I write in a style that makes me seem like a very passionate poster even when I am not passionate. I enjoy arguing, I enjoy fighting trolls like you, and I enjoy when they humiliate themselves publicly.

So thank you for the entertainment factor. I know I'm not the only one enjoying this freakshow.

16. CarterG81

CarterG81

Honestly? Before, I thought nothing of it... But with a response like that, you just convinced me you indeed did have a "braingasm explosion, got roasted in the worst possible way and there is no coming back".

So well done. You do have strong arguments after all! :)

I actually thought that was a really good joke. I think I'll steal that next time I want to be corny. (Seriously, I laughed. I enjoy some corn every now & then.)

It's fun for us too.

Especially when you end your post with an explosion, as if you just dropped the mic. I think that was the funniest part of this entire thread.

Although I do enjoy that you're now participating in the gif thing. Usually it's just me, so it's nice to see I inspired someone.

17. CarterG81

CarterG81

Honestly, I'm a bit confused. (Especially in this thread. To be fair, I have not posted in it for 20 days).

The majority of the argument in the MMORPG thread was between me & two other people. MasterFrog jumped in with a single post, right before it got locked... so he wasn't really a part of it. So it was a bit strange when I saw he sent me 12 private messages in a row without me even responding & participated in some kind of Rage-Party second PM convo. Then being alerted to this? What was a very strange thread before I clicked "Show Ignored Content" to reveal his raging.

I really don't get it. He definitely has a raging hardon for me. I think that much is obvious. I'm just a bit lost as to where it is coming from. I usually have to do a lot more to get under someone's skin like this.

I love this though!

This is solid gold. You just can't make this stuff up even if you tried.

18. Patrick-GameSparks

Patrick-GameSparks

Hi CarterG81,

I'm part of the customer success team at www.gamesparks.com . We are a Backend-as-a-Service provider, equipping developers with all the tools needed to build, tune and manage the server-side components of their projects.

We currently have over 72 million players on average each month, and large enterprises, game studios and publishing companies such as Starbucks, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Ubisoft and many more are utilizing our versatile and powerful platform. We cater for Students, Indie Devs , AAA Companies and everything in between.

I thought that in future, you may be interested in utilizing our service, because as you mentioned, developing and testing your own Backend infrastructure is quite time consuming.
    If our service sounds of interest to you, you can register for a free evaluation account here at: https://portal.gamesparks.net/register.htm

Should you have any questions, one of our dedicated support team is always on hand and can arrange a skype call to delve a little further into each feature we have to offer and how this can impact your project. Hope to hear from you soon, -Patrick.

CarterG81 likes this.
  19. CarterG81

CarterG81

Thank you for your offer.

As of today, I can confirm this: Forge Networking finally fixed a major bug where large packets failed to send.

Now that I can send large amounts of data, everything works easily. As it should have. Ultimately, like always, I struggled & smashed my head in because of someone else's bug. It may still end up being worth using Unity & the Asset Store though. After all... now that it's fixed, that's it! Multiplayer now works. However, every time I hit a brick wall it is always due to a bug or lack of understanding (i.e. lack of documentation) in someone else's work. Whether that's Unity or a third party, it consistently makes me doubt using Unity for future projects or referring others to Unity.

I am still working on getting the basics solidified before writing up a tutorial on how to use Forge Networking to give multiplayer to large worlds (large amounts of data & tens of thousands of gameobjects).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  20. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

That's good to hear. A tut by a developer who just got done figuring all this out could be invaluable for networking nubs (like me).

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I have to lock this thread, obviously but you know Master Frog, gonna have to add a few warning points to your account. I don't actually want to do either, but that would mean the moderators are ignoring forum rules too :/

CarterG81 and tatoforever like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.