Search Unity

Thin meshes baking propblem

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by dmitricob, May 22, 2020.

1. dmitricob

dmitricob

OK as in the title I have problem with baking thin mesh (mesh that has only one vertex in depth such as plane). When I bake scene with such objects it produce some artifacts. I can replace them with thin cubs but it is interesting for me what is the source of this problem.
    Examples:
    with 2 planes and 4 thin cubes above
    upload_2020-5-22_17-15-22.png

only thin cubes
    upload_2020-5-22_17-16-27.png

2. rasmusn

rasmusn

Unity Technologies

From the information given it is difficult for me to guess what is wrong with your scene. Can you perhaps make a simpler scene with less objects that shows the problem, and then post a screenshot of that?

Maybe your UVs are wrong. Have you tried making the same setup with the Unity's built-in cube and planes? (rather than importing geometry from another tool). If it works as expected with Unity's primitives, this may suggest that the UVs of your meshes are wrong.

You can also try to inspect the generated lightmaps by going to Lighting Window > Baked Lightmaps and then double clicking the lightmap you want to inspect. Note that if you select a game object it will be highlighted in the lightmap viewer.

3. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Try making the two planes use a material that has the Double Sided GI option checked.