Search Unity

Thief Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by craigscott, May 28, 2012.

1. craigscott

craigscott

Disclaimer - None of the artwork is mine or textures, pretty much got them all off the internet. The coding is all done by myself. It is quite buggy. Overall not that good. I would just like some feedback on how it could be a million times better. Coding wise. The AI system working, but, it's quite hectic. It would be nice to get feedback on the way point system and how to improve upon that. I seem to also overlooked the use of layers.
    Basic directions:
    WASD to move.
    Shift + Move to sneak.
    If you dont move when they're coming at you they wont detect you.
    First level - collect all diamonds then go through gate (It's kind of dark for some reason, sorry about that, I don't know why.)
    Second level - Get the diamonds to win
    The retry button does not work, so you have to exit the program and play it again. (The health button is a static variable, so it stays at 0, but I supposed I could set it back before you load the level.)
    I created this game in about 10 days, about 6-7 hours a day. It was for a computer science class.

*Got webplayer and Screens

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81906176/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

$screenShot2.jpg

$screenShot.jpg

Thanks! :cool:

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. augasur

augasur

In my opinion you should add some pictures and a webplayer link, not an .exe :)

3. StormGamer

StormGamer

i was gonna play it, but then i saw it was a .exe and i didn´t even download it, put some pictures and a webplayer, .exe aren´t famous =/

4. craigscott

craigscott

Alright, I see you... I fixed it so you press retry now... Yay! :), also, it is laggy for about 10 secs I'm not sure why. I'm pretty sure all the models I imported have default animations that I didn't take it out...
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81906176/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

$screenShot.jpg

$screenShot2.jpg

Also, the first time my brother played it he ran through it no problem... So if you can beat the game... Well done sir... Hahahah so if you beat it, I'd be quite amazed. Feel free to post your victory!

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  5. Lex_

Lex_

That was actually pretty fun! The wizard dudes just sometimes aim at random unknown entities, lol

6. craigscott

craigscott

I know... It has to do with the colliders. Not too sure how to fix it...? Essentially, the wizards have box colliders on them, when the player enters it, they shoot. But sometimes, another wizard enters it, so it shoots but does not activate the lookAt() function... I could use some help with that.

And did you beat it? Lol

7. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Besides that this obviously needs lots of work still, and performance is rather poor. I rather enjoyed it! Keep going, I'm a huge fan of the Thief series and really wish they would give us an update on Thief 4!

8. craigscott

craigscott

I know dudeeeee! Again, did you beat it? Haha. That's the game that inspired me. I'm pretty much looking for a 3D Modeler so we can get a Thief 4 going lol... SO SICK. I'm excited. Literally, if only I had the levels and art... Oooh...

Also, having to do with the performance, did it last through the whole game?

9. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Nope, got to the second level and died. And the lag seemed to stop after a while. Did you make the AI system?

10. craigscott

craigscott

Yeah like I said before, I think the models I imported have default animations, so they all group load at once. That's probably it. And yes, the AI system I created myself. It was probably 90% of my coding. I was too lazy to understand other peoples stuff so I did it myself. Took forever, but worth it. I saw your system of avoidance. How did you specifically do that, you don't have to show me the code lol but yeah? That would help me a junk load. I kind of get your waypoints thing, but not sure how to automatically generate it. Is there an arraylist algorithm type thing? Also with your dynamic detection system, I saw the same thing on the webs awhile ago but gave up since I couldn't get it to work. What function did you use? Were you actually altering the rotation of the character or adding a force vector or something?

11. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

When you ask of system of avoidance are you talking character avoidance? Its pretty simple how they avoid eachother, the easiest way to make characters avoid eachother is my telling them to turn in the opposite direction of eachother when they detect a collision is near using raycasting. If both characters point the opposite direction of eachother, they will 100 percent avoid eachother. The generation of waypoints is pretty complex. Really the one I am designing is a mass grid of sensors detecting obstacles and ground objects, once a sensor has detected that it is grounded and not inside an obstacle, it adds a waypoint to its position and destroys itself.

12. Lex_

Lex_

Maybe you can put the wizards on their own layer and then from there disable it from colliding into itself (not sure if this will work for just collision detection)? Or you could make use of raycasting and have it detect just the player's tag?

***I'm still studying coding, so my solutions might not be the best, if it even works the way i think it should.***

As for beating it, I haven't yet, since I just wanted to test it then log off for the night (dawn, lol). I will, though. I'm also excited to see this project progress even further. I could help out if you need a hand with anything. :) Although I can't focus on it the entire time since I have some projects going on as well, but I'd like to do it during my daily downtime.

13. craigscott

craigscott

hmm... Interesting, I guess i never knew how to distinguish between what to rotate? Are you rotating on a local axis or world? It probably doesn't even matter. I understand the concept of creating a grid. How would you know though, the bounds of the grid and spacing between? I guess that could be set by the player. But if you were to "Generate it" based on collision or detection, wouldn't it have to be in "Play" mode. After it is done, dont all the instantiated objects get destroyed?

14. craigscott

craigscott

Yeah I see what your saying. I think I currently have a raycast in there to detect whether its the player or not... I thinks somewhere in the update function, the boolean See becomes false, causing the wizard to stop looking at the player...

15. Lex_

Lex_

Well, if you'd like I could have a look at the script. Like I said, I'm not nearly as good as I hope to be yet, but I can try, lol. I have a feeling you just misplaced something.

16. craigscott

craigscott

Yeah I'll hook you up the problem is I'm the scrap together coder, I'll try and comment more on it so it makes sense