Search Unity

Thermal Vision

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by morgansaysthis, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

im trying to think of a good way to implement thermal/x-ray vision so you can see people threw walls for my "reedemer" type weapon in my game

i have no idea where to start, usally i have at least a basic idea of a way to achieve somthing

but i got nothing

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

How about you put the people on a custom layer, and have another camera that's parented to the main camera render only that layer, and which has a higher depth than the main camera (so it renders on top) and has the clear flag set to depth only?

--Eric

3. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

Yeah, the best approach i think is to have a secondary camera activated when x-ray vision and:

- draw after the main camera
    - change the material of the objects to something like solid red to see the shape and not the texture
    - add an effect like noise + grayscale (red) to see as with glasses

Good luck

Omar Rojo

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Does thermal vision actually see through the walls? I'm under the impression that it shouldn't; it just displays color-coded infrared ray coming to you.

If you want stuff like that, then you don't need two cameras. Write some sort of "thermal vision shader", apply it to the materials in your scene, and there you go. I guess in games thermal vision is often faked: walls and other cold objects just display nothing; and humans and similar things output color based on the angle between viewing direction and surface normal.

5. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

:O i miss understood the effect xD

Well the expert spoke..

Omar Rojo

6. pete

pete

7. StarManta

StarManta

Well.... kindasorta. If someone is near a thin wall and doesn't move around too much, you can see their heat impression on the other side.

8. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

thank you all very much, i guess i will give the two camera thing a shot

i know that in real life you cant acually see threw things with thermal vision,even glass because it will just show its own temp. but for my game im just going to throw it out there and not explain it haha

how could i have a split screen showing both at once?? like in the bottom corner have what the thermal cam is seeing. and have the rest of the screen show normally.

thanks again for your help, you guys rock

9. AaronC

AaronC

Use the same Input to Change Materials?

The same input as switching Cameras: Then have a second set of heavily saturared heat colours and far out shaders? Toggle Materials and Camera?
    AC

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I was going to explain this, but it was almost as fast just to do it. Plus it was a bit o' fun, so here's a cheesy web player (standard FPS controls, not that there's actually anything to do really), and I attached the project. Basically: three cameras, some fiddling with layers, each "live" object has a duplicate (different materials for each), and a slightly modified alpha diffuse shader (not necessary, but I thought it looked a little better for this purpose).

--Eric

(Edit: fixed broken link....)

Attached Files:

11. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

it never ceases to amaze me how much this forum and this communtiy rocks

thanks alot, i appreciate it it works great
    and thank you all for your help and input

and any one who has tried torques forum, can appreciate how good this one is

12. smidling

smidling

You man, are a GOD!

Thank you sooo much!

13. Max-Bot

Max-Bot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.