Search Unity

Feedback There's are a way to simulate particles in Unity Editor?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by MessiasOF, Dec 9, 2019.

1. MessiasOF

MessiasOF

Hey guys, that's a question and also a feedback for Unity!

I noticed some cool/realistc effects in 3D softwares like Blender, that's a feature called "particle simulation" i just adjust the parameters, create the particle and every time i run a test, the results will be differents.
    So, can i create that with unity editor* or not? And if not, that's a good feature to add to Unity.
    * = via Unity API, third-party plugins or coding my own particle simulation system.

Thanks anyway,
    - Emanuel Messias, R.d.S

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Try ParticleSystem.Simulate in the script API

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

wait ... is it that you are looking for https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PartSysReference.html

4. MessiasOF

MessiasOF

I'll check it out

5. MessiasOF

MessiasOF

6. neoshaman

neoshaman

what do you call particles simulation?
    What do you mean by procedural generated particles?
    Precisely!

7. MessiasOF

MessiasOF

Particle simulation: simulate fluid, explosions. But in a procedural generated way.

Procedural generated particles, ok i'll give an example:

I want to create an explosion effect, but I don't want to create an effect that every time it runs will be the same thing. Even though I create several varieties of the same effect, I don't want something pre-made.

So I want the effects (particles) to be procedurally created, and every time an explosion happens it will be different.

Of course if I can do that, it will be the first step in extending this idea as variations in size and shape of explosion depending on variables such as exploding power and so on.

But let's consider that you can make 3D particles, fluids and even create a procedurally generated animations and artificial intelligent. So, why wouldn't it be possible to make procedural generated particles?

I just found some tutorials on how to simulate fluids, but I want to go beyond that.

8. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

All particle system parameters are exposed to scripting API: change them, randomize them, and you will change the outcome.

Lots of properties will generate random values within specified ranges - these can all be configured via the UI and the small down arrow at the right hand side of applicable particle properties in the inspector.

There is also a random seed property, and auto random seed property. Auto mode will play the effect differently every time it is triggered. It's just a checkbox on the main particle settings.

At this point, my best advice is: go use the system and scripting API, and then come back if you have more questions after that. You'll probably find out a lot more through experimentation.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    doarp, MessiasOF and Peter77 like this.
  9. MessiasOF

MessiasOF

Well, i can say that's the first step!

Really thanks, surely i'll go beyond that after API experimentation, considering DOTS and the fact that Unity is constantly updating and improving, my idea will be complete soon.
    Thank you one more time.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  10. neoshaman

neoshaman

I was waiting for more details from you, to know what you understood, but I actually class particles system as procedural system themselves, they already do what you say by design, even unity's. They are parametric effects that have random constraints for variety. It's been this way even before 8bits console.

11. MessiasOF

MessiasOF

Not a hotly debated topic, I just didn't know where to start, it's all right now, thanks to the Unity API