Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

There is the Demo file for Book of the dead to download after GDC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arealight, Mar 23, 2018.

1. elbows

elbows

I understand that perspective, but also keep in mind that they are bound to focus their demos on the most visibly interesting technology they have been adding to Unity. So this time, it was no surprise to se them showing off what the HD render pipeline can achieve.

Also, I believe things like the 3D Game Kit that Unity made available are more in the direction of what you are asking for ( https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/3d-game-kit ). Likely not quite as complicated as the stuff you are asking for, but surely a step in the right direction?

I dont think Unity trying to improve their graphics reputation is the only driver for the types of glossy showcase demos we see either, its a big part of it for sure but most of the demo scenes for UE4 are also very much about the graphics and related tech.

2. 00christian00

00christian00

Yes, but but this has been true for some demos now.
    Since Unity is a game engine and not a graphic engine, it would be best imho to showcase a more complete scenario.
    3D game kit is entry level stuff and judging from the comments I read on this topic it's even using bad practices.
    I was talking of some more advanced stuff.
    But maybe you are right and these could be more suited for a tutorial.

3. Like it or not, the graphics (and maybe the physics engine) sells the engine. Not the advanced character controller. So I wouldn't expect demos about them, like Unreal demos are graphics heavy as well.
    You pasted two videos about Unreal assets to prove your point. So if you want to keep your analogy, the Asset Store is yours. There are many advanced character controllers and so on.

Also there are great tutorials about almost every aspect of Unity.
    If you want fight system, or climbing, or other aspect of an advanced character controller, check this out:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq9_1E5HE4c_xmhzD3r7VMw/playlists?shelf_id=0&view=1&sort=dd

zombiegorilla likes this.
  4. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

*cough* http://u3d.as/19j7 *cough*
    Just by watching the first video I could tell you that it could be recreated in Unity fairly easily as a single player demo. Posting those types video of what is essentially just an asset is pointless, Unity has tutorials that go over a decent range of topics and it sounds like you just don't look hard enough to find what you're looking to learn. These tech demos that Unity puts out have a purpose it is to show what is possible in engine and I can guarantee it's not impractical for most Unity Devs as I've seen solo Devs make beautiful scenes with the built in render pipeline.
    Do you follow the Unity channel on YouTube? You should. Check out the Cinemachine tutorials and other useful things they consistently upload.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  5. Mauri

Mauri

People say "Graphics aren't everything" and... that's half-truth. Games nowadays are much more graphics-intensive. Just look at Battlefield 1 (or the upcoming Battlefield 5) that uses photogrammetry and PBR for more realistic scenes. Unity showcased this demo because of the new HDRP that is so much better than the current built-in pipeline (a.k.a "3D"). They want to show that everyone can achieve AAA quality, too - with the right team, of course.

6. 00christian00

00christian00

You guys are missing my point. The recent demos have been just graphics, not focused on graphics
    but completely just graphics! Heck the previous demo had precomputed physics even and had to rely to a 3rd party plugin to make it.
    I get that it's what it sell, but still....
    The video I posted were just an example and an example that show what an engine can do 360 degree : graphics, animation, ai, particles, cinematics, sound in a playable form.
    For me it was much more exiting the kinematica demo they just shown then some graphics demo shown lately, as that it's just showcasing the artist skills for the most.
    If you guys think creating something like the video could be done easily, you should try to do it for real because you clearly never tried.
    One thing is do basic pieces working standalone and another thing is create a working cohesive system like the video.
    If you never tried to do anything complete like that (even if just a single level) you may not understand the subtle complexity that come out when polishing things, that will escalate the complexity of the code logarithmically.
    Anyway I am not looking for tutorials, I just said that in my opinion it would be more coherent.

atomicjoe likes this.
  7. 00christian00

00christian00

Don't get me wrong I think "Book of the dead" is awesome, I just wish they start doing something more of a full game engine.
    For example they could have animated many elements with the new jobs system, expose new features of the particle system, use the new kinematica system and so on.
    More a real time demo than a real time rendering.

8. I think you made a mistake, you are comparing an official Unity demo to an asset on the Unreal marketplace.

If you would compare the Unreal demos to the Unity demos, that would be more fair. Also if you compare random asset on the Asset Store to the asset on the Marketplace also would be fair. Although in the second case you would have to ask the asset developers to make more quality assets to match up with the asset on the Marketplace.

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  9. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

Again if you look for it you can find useful info, once you know how to use Cinemachine you can pair it with a character controller that has tab targeting so you can orbit around enemy ai... @00christian00

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

The focus on graphics for the big demos makes sense, because the rendering pipeline has been more traditionally black box and heavily reliant on engine capabilities. Things like ai, animation, navigation and stuff like that aren’t an engine limitation. Sure there is always room to improve the built in stuff, but there are solid third party solutions and often it is just stuff the developers write them selves anyway. For a decent size or skilled developer/team, the rendering may have a huge impact on thier choice of engine. Ai, controllers, etc will have little to no impact.

11. kevincarlson

kevincarlson

Find it in the Asset store.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep and I think we'll see the next innovations with physics and gameplay come from ECS - thousands of units pathfinding, a million bricks, that sort of thing...

And with (terrain) tools :D

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  13. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

That's not the demo. What is in the assetstore is the environment.
    We would like to see the interactive demo.
    The game, so to speak.