Search Unity

There is not the offline documentation in 5.3?

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by northcross, Dec 13, 2015.

1. northcross

northcross

Can not find the offline documentation in 5.3.
    It's slow to open the online documentations sometime. Could you please give a offline documentation download link?

2. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Yup, I would have thought there would be some sort of separate installer for the offline docs. I could not find any.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The docs are installed if you choose that in the installer, same as the standard assets and the various platforms.

--Eric

4. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

This is from the torrent. Which one will install the docs?

I've installed UnitySetup64.exe and UnitySetup-Windows-Support-for-Editor.exe but I don't see any offline docs.

I looked into the installation folder. There's a C:\Dev\Unity-5.3.0f4\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\WindowsStandaloneSupport\Documentation

but it's empty.

5. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

The installer for UnitySetup-Windows-Support-for-Editor.exe, all it asks for is an install location, there's no checkbox to install docs.

As for the UnitySetup64.exe, the only optional components to install is MonoDevelop, which I unchecked since I use Visual Studio.

6. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

How did you install Unity? If you install using the "Download Assistant", the offline documentation should be selected by default. Otherwise you can download it from Torrent as mentioned above

upload_2015-12-13_10-12-4.png
    (From Mac installer, but similar on Windows)

-Rasmus

7. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Yes, it's just that, I don't see any installer for the documentation in the torrent. I have a very flaky internet connection where downloading files that are more than 10 MB would likely face some connection timeouts. So I'd rather download it from torrent instead of via a download assistant. If the download assistant supports resuming incomplete downloads (even after I close it and then reopen another day) then sure, I'll use that.

Even if there's just an http link then that could work, since I could use my downloader to download it.

8. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

AnomalusUndrdog likes this.
  9. MoruganKodi

MoruganKodi

This ONLY applies to the Download Assistant (and torrent, i assume)... but NOT the full offline installer for unity, which is available here.

As mentioned in: The Unity Manual

Unity 5.3+: Bring Back Documentation to Offline Installer Please, or give us downloadable docs that can be installed without an internet connection.

Very few people know about this:
    ... or at least I did not know about it, before creating the feature request...

Please make the UnityDocumentation installer link publically visible on the unity download page where all the offline installers are.

This would make life easier for alot of people.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  10. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

From our internal chat with build team:
    So hopefully should be happening soon (otherwise feel free to ping me here). Thanks for reporting.