Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

There is more than one Chinese language Unity...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EvilDingo, Jun 20, 2014.

1. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Application.systemLanguage only returns "Chinese".

If you want to target your application to Simplified and Traditional Chinese, you have to make your solution. Traditional and Simplified aren't just regional differences of the same language (like, for example, English and English(UK)). People who know one may not be able to read the other.

Could you add "ChineseSimplified" and "ChineseTraditional" option to Application.systemLanguage?

2. ElvisAlistar

ElvisAlistar

Unity Technologies

I'm pretty sure this can be done, but please submit a bug report on it. We don't really use the forums for tracking issues like this one.

3. SaltwaterAssembly

SaltwaterAssembly

Where's UK (the original), AUS and other varients of English?

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

5. SaltwaterAssembly

SaltwaterAssembly

Sorry, but this isn't good enough for educational apps where the correct spelling is important to learn by region where English often differs - and not just spelling but some words have different meanings in different English dialects as well. Having a 'one fits all' is ignorant.

6. SaltwaterAssembly

SaltwaterAssembly

Ok, meant that it was first before US English, which Unity likes to make the 'standard'.

7. SaltwaterAssembly

SaltwaterAssembly

I did a test to see what it returns on the device (iOS whose language is set to EN-GB)
    Code (csharp):
    3.  CultureInfo culture = CultureInfo.InstalledUICulture;
    4.  Debug.Log("MYCULTURE = " + culture);
    This turns up a blank on device - not sure if doing anything wrong here. (It's fine via Editor grabbing the laptop's set language)

8. Nah, I don't think so. This is what I was afraid of, probably the implementation isn't there for iOS and Android and whatnot. Because obviously every OS has to handle these things differently, because why not.

I guess Unity will have to implement that standardization after all. Or when the .NET5 times come we will have proper access to it through .NET anyways, at least on the Windows-Linux-OSX-iOS-Android platforms.

9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You can just ask which regional English they read/write on first launch and save it to PlayerPrefs.

10. SaltwaterAssembly

SaltwaterAssembly

I could but that's not the point ;) ;)

Joe-Censored likes this.
  11. SaltwaterAssembly

SaltwaterAssembly

Just want to add a note - we tested a bunch of 10-year-olds on the setup of language (prompt at start of game) to change to UK or AUS using flags and descriptions and they had no idea what or why! Hence, for parent's sake, they prefer the game to detect from their device settings rather than rely on a kid to choose. (Not all parents look at the app on load up before the kid gets their hands to it!)