Search Unity

Themed Sale of the week is an excellent move

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by coverpage, Aug 1, 2017.

1. coverpage

coverpage

There is now sale of the week instead of daily sales and on top of that they are themed. This means that we can properly decide and strengthen our capabilities for that particular theme within a span of a week.

This means we have more control on what we buy and able to purchase multiple assets that can work with one another. There will better utility for the assets. And each asset gets longer air time on sale as well, which is great for aaset developers.

Just wanna thank the unity asset team for this great move.

2. tomraegan

tomraegan

I'm finding it means I visit the asset store only once or twice a week, where it used to be daily. I rely instead on sale bot sites for sales (still no fan of 30% sales). The themes are somewhat useful, it's true, but there' just less reason to visit at all now.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But you know, a lot of people miss the daily sale because the have busy lives. So maybe it's not interesting for a developer to be on the daily sale vs a 3-day sale or weekly thing.

4. DominoM

DominoM

That might be the plan. I'm the same, so for some percentage of the users, there's a significant reduction in bandwidth use.

Personally I like the new format. It's still seven items a week, they are just listed all week instead of one per day. I missed (at least) one sale from my wishlist when the email notification turned up after the sale had ended, and that led to my daily checking habit. It was a bit of a time sink so I'm happy to be able to reduce the frequency.

5. coverpage

coverpage

Problem with daily sales is that you can't make a calculated decision buying assets. There's no foresight so you can't buy a bunch that work well together.

For example after buying an asset on sale, similar better fit asset might come along later and you end up spending money on the same function. Or complementary assets for the genre come on sale later are not compatible with this purchased asset.

Which make yourself think I should have bought all the complementary assets but not this one asset.

So this weekly sale is excellent for consumers as we can maximize the chance of purchasing assets which are properly useful together.

6. Mcg

Mcg

weekly sales instead of daily sales was a great change :)

7. mdrotar

mdrotar

Just curious, which sale sites do you visit and have you seen http://www.assetstoresales.com? It's my site and maybe I'm biased but I like it better than the others I've seen ;).

I like the themed weekly sales. It's 7 items so you still get the same number of sales per week. But 30% off just doesn't cut it. It's easy to find 50% off or more with the "hidden" sales (like you find on http://www.assetstoresales.com) for high quality assets like Nested Prefabs, Ultimate Game Music Collection, Haunted Town and new sales showing up constantly. I've even picked up popular assets that temporarily become free.

8. tomraegan

tomraegan

Yep.

I hope it translates to more sales for the devs. Bumping it from 30% to 40% might trigger my *buy* impulse a little more frequently ;)

I just miss my morning ritual. Get ready for work, make coffee, sit as desk, check daily Unity sale.

mdrotar: I use your site and have done for months. Not really aware of many others.