Search Unity

The Wrong Book - Interactive Kids Book

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Default117, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Default117

Default117

Hey guys!

We've just released our second app over the weekend, and has been very well received by the iOS app store!
    I work for We Are Wheelbarrow a studio creating high quality interactive kids books for mobile and tablet devices. We're currently recreating existing licensed books, namely from the well known Australian author Nick Bland.

This app is called The Wrong Book, a fully interactive adaption of Nick Bland's outrageous book "The Wrong Book". Read by Australian comic legend Frank Woodley, journey with Nicholas as he tries to tell his story...but is interrupted by trumpeting elephants shooting peanuts, farting monsters, sneaky pirates, squeaky rats and plenty of other silly characters...that are all IN THE WRONG BOOK!

It features as mentioned above amazing voice over by Frank Woodley, and also a "read myself" mode where the user can read the book themselves, and also record their voice to be listened to later. Perfect for kids who can listen back to their own voices for learning to read better, or listening to an absent parent or grandparents voice!

Available on the App Store and Google Play for only $1.99 as a launch special, and back to our normal price of $3.99 after 2 weeks.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wearewheelbarrow.wrongbook
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-wrong-book/id515886918?mt=8

The Wrong Book is currently the #1 top selling paid iPad app in the books category for Australia, and #13 for overall iPad apps in Australia!

Here is also a nice video of the voice over being done:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. JRavey

JRavey

That's a great use for Unity, I'd be interested to know how it works out for you.

3. Default117

Default117

Thanks JRavey! Well, this is our second title, and so far it is going very well! Interactive kids books is such a niche market, just have to get the right exposure!

4. liverolA

liverolA

interesting.

5. JRavey

JRavey

A friend is a great comic artist and I keep pestering him to do interactive books, but he's not very confident. A shame.

6. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I love seeing interactive books. Looks awesome, I really like it :) I wish these kind of things were around when I was younger, rather than them books where you hit the sound button when it tells you ^_^

7. Default117

Default117

Cheers Charlie! Tell me about it! I would of loved to have books like these as a kid.

We've now been ranked #1 for the last 5 days! Still hovering around the #13 - #15 mark for overall iPad apps in Australia. Exciting times!
    Just started on our latest title as well =]

8. NomadKing

NomadKing

Haha, this looks great! I have a young cousin who might really enjoy this :)

9. SRoland

SRoland

Ahh yes I agree would be nice to see more comics, and literature on iPad.

10. Titaniumtommy

Titaniumtommy

Wow! Looks great! I'd like to find out a couple of things. Did you guys just use the unity toolset or ome other add-on like "Action Reader" to create this? Also about how long was the development period? We run a small art school for kids ages 4 and up and our students create pretty neat storybooks that we have published using ibooks, but we'd like to create something a bit more interactive in the future and just exploring options.

11. takshaka

takshaka

Hi, This is really great! I purchased the ipad version of this book and enjoyed it very much. I would be interested to know what exactly did you use unity for in this project? Did you use unity for everything or just "The End"?

12. Default117

Default117

Hey guys, thanks for the comment.

The development cycle for this project was just under 3 months. Unity was essentially used for all aspects of the project. Most of the animations were done within Maya and imported into Unity, while some basic lerping animations were just done using the Unity animation engine.
    No other external tools were used in the production of the book. I built a framework from the ground up to stream in different pages, and built a handful of extension editors for the pipeline. Hope that helps =]