Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The WidgetMonkeys (soon to) re-release Monkey Marbles!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by DaveyJJ, Jul 20, 2005.

1. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Yeah, we've released our second little fun/game widget! It's called Monkey Marbles and the goal is to tilt the platform and get all of the marbles firmly settled into the holes. We are not responsible for any, err, frustration this task might cause. It's available on our WidgetMonkey website http://www.widgetmonkeys.com and soon on Apple's download page.

Feel free to test it, play with it, and give feedback!

And weve also updated our coming soon page with two new top secret projects as well :wink:

NOTE -- There may be an error in this widget that causes the keyboard inpur (arrows) to not work unless the widget is either first refreshed, or fliped front-back-front. Can someone let me know if they can confirm this?

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Frustration? Nah, less than a minute...

Good work guys.

d.

PS. Maybe you should work on the handling, it feels a bit 'rough'.

Attached Files:

3. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

It's fairly smooth to us but we're looking for feedback. This is the code that we use for the rotation of the platform ...

Code (csharp):
    1. /// This behavior script rotates an object by the mouse delta
    2. // based on a simple script originally by Jamie
    3. // edited to prevent rotation past a particular angle by Joachim
    4. // on the Unity forums -- July 15, 2005
    6. // All public variables are visible in the inspector and can be edited there.
    7. var speed = 5;
    8. var z = 0.0;
    9. var y = 0.0;
    11. function Update () {
    12.    z += Input.GetAxis ("Horizontal") * speed;
    13.    y += Input.GetAxis ("Vertical") * speed;
    15.    // x = Mathf.Clamp (x, -90.0, 90.0);
    16.    z = Mathf.Clamp (z, -8.0, 8.0);
    17.    y = Mathf.Clamp (y, -8.0, 8.0);
    19.     transform.rotation = Quaternion.identity;
    21.     // transform.Rotate (y, x, 0);
    22.     transform.Rotate (y, 0, z);
    24.     // Use the following two lines instead of transform.Rotate (y, x, 0)
    25.     // if you want a fps style rotation instead
    27.     // transform.Rotate (0, x, 0, Space.World);
    28.     // transform.Rotate (y, 0, 0);
    29. }
    Is there a better/smoother way? Maybe I'll look at the time setting and modify it. But it loaded OK for you?[/code]

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You could try fiddling around with the Input axes
    Project Settings -> Input.
    Modify the Horizontal and Vertical axis.
    Values like gravity and sensitivity.

5. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

A few things:

* The horizontal controls are inversed compared to the vertical controls

* Once I've gotten all the balls in the holes, what do I do? The old monkey could always be manipulated some more, whereas this widget 'ends'...

* I somehow feel that the first widget had some more polish - how 'bout a background? Or at least some specular highlights to the balls.

Otherwise a good one - thanks...

6. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

I can't play the widget yet, my Mac Mini still hasn't arrived from Apple :(

But I had an idea for you. How about once you completely place the balls, it starts over with the holes in new randomly created locations.

Also maybe make particles randomly shoot up out of holes like a geiser. Then you get extra points if you plug a hole while the geiser is going.

Another way I can think of to quickly up the difficulty and make it replayable, is this:

Keep the whole in the same location, but put a color ring texture around each whole: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow. Then have a corresponding color ball: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow. So it's good to get the balls in wholes, it's great to get balls in their corresponding hole. Would it be easy to just randomly place the textures? Anyways, that would quickly make it replayable.

7. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I'll get onto most of these tonight and put a new version out. Thanks!

8. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

There will be a new version of Monkey Marbles coming very soon. We've taken feedback into account and made it much more fun (and also signifcantly cut the poly count by culling out the back faces and combining unnecessary ones). This screenshot is close to the final version now, and we hope it's a bit more to everyone's liking. As always, much thanks to the users here who help out! We've also updated the site and will have this one available first for the forums users to test out. Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Great, that looks like a widget rather than a beta of something. Pop a background in and you'r prety much good to go. Jeff

10. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Have you considered removing the border around the widget, so it floats transparently?

It's in Player Settings, called Use Alpha In Dashboard. In order for it to work properly, you need to go over your materials and ensure that the opacity part of the color is 100%.

11. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I remember when I tried this, I also reduced the opacity of the background color. Just a heads up on that.

-Jon

12. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Thanks. We actually have experimented with various backgrounds and think we prefer it just floating on that dark blue colour. It's, I dont know, less distracting or something.

We played with that too (I can dig into the HTML and CSS stuff really, really well) but, as above, sort of like the frame look of the thing. And I've created a nice little new absolutely positioned CSS thing for a scrolling text area on the back.

Soon, now (and wait to you see the pachinko-physics widget thing we've got started -- cool). And the tutorial to work on as well. Busy, busy.

13. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I'm dying to see the first draft of the tut. Considering the magic you worked last time, this is gonna be great!

14. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Ready to go! Comments appreciated! We'll release in 24 hours to Apple if nothing is horrible. This is the current screen capture and you can get it here ... http://www.widgetmonkeys.com/MonkeyMarbles.wdgt.zip

PS. Runs better if you don't have too many other widgets running!

Attached Files:

15. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Damn. That's one hard game...

Goodbye sleep....

16. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Frustrated... yes, but only beacuse after completeing it I wanted to screenshot it but pressed space before I got it.

(no, it's true, I really did it!)

Attached Files:

17. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

You don't have to get the coloured marbles in the exact holes, but that'll come into play in the "full" version we'll release. :wink:

18. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

coolness 8)

Edit- One thing I noticed is that the yellow hole gets somewhat lost, due to the yellow background on the board. Maybe add just a tint of orange to the yellow ball, so it's still in the yellow space, but the hole stands out a little more.

19. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

And maybe make it visible if/that the right ball is in the right hole... that might need some programming though unless you're really creative with triggers.

Also, maybe pressing space shoul shake the whole board like one would do oneself, instead of just a mechanical reset.

Ah, well, still this is your creation so just listen to advice that fits with your own vision.

Good work again,

d.

20. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Congrats at getting mentioned on Inside Mac Games. Jeff

21. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Yikes! Cool! :D

22. pete

pete

not just listed but a full blown article! congrats!

23. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Thanks. We were kinda freaked out actually. FYI ... We now have a 1024x768 wallpaper on our site for those intersted.