Search Unity

The what are you working on now thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoonitee, Dec 8, 2017.

1. yoonitee

yoonitee

Just wondered what peeps are working now (if anything). Just a brief summary...

Who? Me :cool:. "Independent game developer"
    What? 2 games: A Sports Day game (20% complete?) and Dungeon game (1% complete)
    Where? England
    When? Hope to be completed by summer and next Christmas
    How? Unity 5.6, Blender
    Why? To earn money and spread joy to the masses
    Anything else? Trying to learn more about machine learning and tensor flow.

dogzerx2, mysticfall and Tom_Veg like this.
  2. verybinary

verybinary

Who: making stuff in my free time
    What: www.themuseumofdigital.com major update coming up
    Where: currently SC
    When: Hopefully a couple weeks
    How: Unity 5.6 I think, Blender, Inkscape
    Why: Sounded interesting
    Anything else:Trying to fight off other game ideas

3. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Been putting dev stuff off for a while, while I finish up getting a degree. In the next couple of weeks I plan to work on creating a "revolutionary" new dialogue system that will hopefully be more interactive than our current popular methods, which may increase the likelihood of dialog rather than combat being valuable gameplay.

Anything else? Sure. Throwing around the idea of putting a proc gen / cellular automata game I made for Arowx's proc gen game jam (which I never submitted there) on Steam. Probably won't, but thinking about it.

Also have plenty of other stuff that's caught my interest. Been doing a little bit of work on a kind of animal sim (or was a couple months ago), and I want to get back to one of my original ideas where I was trying to generate a densely (and meaningfully) populated, realistic-looking world with procedural generation.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Who: Independent game dev operating under Joe Censored Games LLC
    What: Broadside, a free to play, age of sail MMO (60% complete)
    Where: SF Bay Area, California, USA
    When: Expected to get outside play testing started next summer, game release around a year from now
    How: Unity 2017.2, UNet HLAPI
    Why: Firstly because my vision for the game doesn't exist, and I want to play it - secondly I might actually make some money with it
    Anything Else: I recently started a dev blog for the game I plan to update around once a week:
    http://broadside-game.blogspot.com/

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

I'm an enterprise programmer professionally and a game dev hobbyist.

Game Maker Studio 2 came out earlier this year, but rather then pay $99 dollars to upgrade and an extra $200 for the HTML 5 export module, I thought I'd try porting all of my GMS projects to Unity!

Obviously Unity is ultimately more powerful and versatile, but GMS was always my go-to for making low-res NES-style games. It used to be that if you wanted to make that sort of game, it was much easier and faster to get things going using GMS (Unity required more ground-work). Now Unity is closing the gap with all of it's 2D support. The new built-in tile map editor is what finally pushed me over the edge.

Getting things to look as smooth as I had it in GMS was not straight-forward, but I think I'm finally getting close and I'm pretty excited about that.

theANMATOR2b and yoonitee like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Who: Myself, a CS Student, possibly some friends, and maybe I will be a game dev in the future I do feel I have a knack for this;. :)
    What: an unnamed project that's being kept under wraps.
    Where: Montana
    When: Hoping to have it done sometime after graduation.
    How: proper time management, planning, a clear direction, and sheer willpower.
    Anything else: Its really difficult having ones own ideas.

7. Senkoy

Senkoy

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

My life has gone off the rails this last year and I've been too busy learning a new profession to worry about my hobbies.

But before too long I'll be making six figures AND having lots of time waiting between jobs to work on games.

No, I'm not a drug dealer.

I've discovered that I'm REALLY good and picking locks.

Wait, that doesn't sound much better...

Locksmith! I'm starting a locksmith company with my wife.

Martin_H and Ryiah like this.
  9. Pixelith

Pixelith

Who? A recent 21 year old who passes time by goofing around in Unity.
    What? A small rpg heavily inspired by the first Corpse party (Funny since RPG Maker was the software used for that game) and another small project that I've mainly just been using to test my newly purchased Third Person Controller.
    Where? US
    When? When I actually lay out a story for the Corpse Party Alike, hopefully not too long. The other one can take as long as it needs, I'm having fun just throwing random things together.
    How? Unity 2017.1, Photoshop, The Glorious Asset Store, my own free time when I'm not at work.
    Why? It's become somewhat of an escape. Just like playing games, typing up code to a "Work in Progress" leaves my mind busy.
    Anything else? Top down tiles that aren't exclusively for RPG Maker are very hard to find :D

10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Grats Not_Sure! My first guess before reading past the first line - was lawyer. :cool:

Not_Sure likes this.
  11. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

You still working on Bravely Bear, with the philanthropic theme you had before?

12. jaybdemented

jaybdemented

Who: Just a working class family man who gets about 1 - 2 hours a week for this hobby.

What: A modern remake of a game I played on the Commodore 64. Galactic Empire. Going to call it Empires of the Wasteland. It will be free with possible multiplayer.

Where: In Michigan about 30 mins outside Detroit.

When: I've been trying to make games now for over 10 years. Only finished one flash game. So your guess is as good as mine.

How: Unity 2017.2, Blender, and Krita

Why: Because I just have fun doing it.

Anything else: I only spend about 2 hours a week on this because being a husband and father in my free time is to good to pass up.

hippocoder, Ryiah and theANMATOR2b like this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hmmm. I've never heard of anyone being able to use Krita. I tried it once but the UI was so confusing it was impossible. How do you do it?

14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Who? 2 Brothers (Brothers: A tale of two developers)
    What? Virtual Warfighter, a ultra realistic combat simulator for SteamVR
    Where? Sweden, home of the blonds and the taxes
    When? In Early Access since aug 2016. Hope to bring it to completion during 2018
    How? Unity 2017.2.1, unity asset store, artstation and cgtrader and some retrofitting using Blender
    Why? People deserve VR games where you actually utilize the potential of the medium
    Anything else? I dream about going open world

15. jaybdemented

jaybdemented

Honestly I'm not much of a artist. I have gimp but it just felt overwhelming. Inkscape didn't run good on my old computer. I tried krita and it just felt natural and comfortable.

16. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

Who? bored old man
    What? 4 games. 98%, 34%, 72%, 28% complete
    Where? EU
    When? God knows.
    Do I believe in god? No
    Then who knows? : F..k knows
    How? Unity 5.6.4
    Why? fun.
    Anything else? Trying to learn how to finish something that's boring me to death.

17. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Where are you at Scooby - what stage are you on that is so boring? I'd guess your past polishing and working on publishing? Good luck on the last 2%! If estimated based on last 10=90% - you are roughly about 85% done! :)

ScoobyNooby likes this.
  18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Who? A friend and I, both with prior experience in games/simulation.
    What? Ambitious, open-world sci-fi treasure hunting game.
    Where? Australia.
    When? A couple of years in, and a couple of years off completion.
    How? Persistence, good habits, and the support of those around us.
    Why? To quote The Newsroom, "we just decided to". This is the kind of project we've both wanted to do for a long time, so after many smaller PC/mobile projects for other people we decided to kick this one off for ourselves.
    Anything else? Just finished the first pass of our new world / scene management system. Very happy that it's working nicely. Only took a few days to implement once we settled on how it should work, but plenty of R&D and teasing out design decisions in the lead up. It's not just about making it work in the game, it's also about getting a good workflow in place for the huge amount of content generation we're about to jump into.

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  19. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

Who? 34 year old Slav living with his fiancé, 3D character artist, animator.
    What? 3D Characters for asset store in spare time, create characters and animations for developers. I also do 3D printable sculptures.
    Where? Croatia
    When? This is my career in last 3 years.
    How? Many 3D apps like Zbrush, Maya, Substance painter and of course Unity.
    Why? Hated regular 9-5 jobs, hated traveling to work. Found something i love working on with what i can be good with and work from home. Win win.
    Anything else? Always learning new tricks in 3D, improving my skills. Trying to find more time and willpower to start learning how to code.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Who? me
    What? bizarre simian action rpg
    Where? england
    When? hopefully 2018
    How? with great difficulty
    Why? to earn food and show people weird things
    Anything else? trying to reduce my belly and failing

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  21. Martin_H

Martin_H

Sounds like an all around good choice, kudos to you. If I didn't hate driving, leaving the house and talking to strangers so much, I would actually consider it myself. Picking locks sounds fun! Best I've ever managed to do is the classic opening a slammed shut (but not locked) door with a card - once on my own front door to see if I can do it and once at a party where the lock of the door was half broken and a door got shut that can't normally be opened.

Fun story about those other jobs... an acquaintance of mine dated a girl once, who turned out to be an actual drug dealer! He broke up with her when he found out. She later told him it was a bit of a wake-up call for her, and she switched to a proper job.

I hope this time around we actually get to see what you're working on!

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've been working on all sorts of stuff for years that got shelved. Current game was started 21 June 2017 - but it kind of takes little bits from all the years I spent in the wilderness being unhappy. I had to reboot because it was too much work and I felt that it would not be good enough for people to enjoy.

That makes it really hard for me to make a game because I need it to earn the right to be sold. I'm sure a lot of developers around here care about their stuff too :)

mysticfall, theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  23. cyangamer

cyangamer

Who? Me, a hobbyist who has been using Unity for about 7 years now.
    What? 1 game. A top-down 2.5D shoot'em up mobile game
    Where? USA
    When? Completion goal is Spring 2018
    How? Unity 5.6, Studio One for music, Asset Store/online for everything else
    Why? I've been wanting to release my own games to the public for most of my life -- ever since my early years using RPG Maker.
    Anything else? Producing a dope soundtrack for the game.

24. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

2% is last bit of polishing. I have no idea on how to estimate publishing because I have never published a game on steam before.

I think this part is boring because I'm in a limbo and cant make up my mind on what to add to make it complete.
    also I have no idea if this game is actually fun.
    My biggest mistake is making a game for a niche market instead of making a game for myself.
    The project has developed at a very slow pace. zzzz

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  25. Martin_H

Martin_H

I can relate, even to not wanting to show the shelved or current projects. I'm just sad we never get to see what you're working on.

Feel free to chime in here in this thread:"Gamedev-design" - making game-making more fun

I'm interested in how you would have approached your project differently if you had made the game for yourself primarily.

26. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

Its not so much the approach its the motivation.
    I struggle to find games that I consider fun.
    So that was the original reason for getting into making games... I'm making games for myself. so that's what I should of done. I ended up thinking that a particular game should be made because it will sell well to a niche market. and the game is simple and shouldn't take too long. I was wearing my business hat and that was the mistake.

Martin_H likes this.
  27. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

The impression I got over the years was that you was working with a group of 4 or more devs..?..
    if that was the case then did everyone else agree at the same time to shelve the idea?

did you let others play your game?
    do you think after working so long on any game that you would be a good judge of whether its fun or not?

I'm starting to question myself a lot about this.. whether I can or should judge my game as being fun.

Martin_H likes this.
  28. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Finally convinced the wife that I should quit piloting degree and go into digital media. Yes!

I don't care about the degree, but it won't hurt and if I have to go to school at least I'll be doing something related to my passion.

Aside from that, working with some fellow hobbyist on a 3rd person shooting game, although we have moved over to Unreal Engine for this project.

29. mysticfall

mysticfall

Who? Me, myself and I
    What? RPG/adult game framework and sandbox
    Where? South Korea
    When? In next 10 years or so, hopefully
    How? By reinventing every wheels and ignoring any best practices I know of
    Why? Mostly for fun. I like programming but I hate what I do at work. But I love gaming, so it occurred to me I could just program games
    Anything else? I wish I had begun developing games 10 years ago, since I'm already over 40 and I just started

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  30. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

interesting.. I just came from another thread you posted in about "Fee-los-sophee!" and my first impression is you're a nut. and then I read "should I quit piloting" ... nutter pilots = death so yes you should quit and maybe even banned from the sky lol. just joking... no I'm serious... nope just joking... no..

jokes aside. how long have you been piloting? and how long left?

31. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I haven't been piloting at all yet. I've been struggling through two semesters of "general ed" classes. I just couldn't stay motivated and go to classes. I always hated school. That's why I didn't go to college in the first place.
    My wife thinks I'm crazy for not being excited about it, but I'm just not. To me, it's just driving a car but you have to be super anal about everything so you don't die. Boring, tedious, stressful... Been there done that. I want to do something fun and creative.