Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The way I move my character messes up other physics calculations

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by danigipsh1, Dec 7, 2018.

1. danigipsh1

danigipsh1

Hi, I'm trying to create a 2D platformer and I've run into a small problem. I move my character by changing the rigidbody2d velocity directly, I tried to use the AddForce method but I don't like the way it feels. I've also tried to implement an ability that when used by the player, it applies a kickback using AddForce. My problem is that because of how I made the player move, the acceleration caused by the force is discarded the next time my horizontal movement function is executed.
    Here's my code if it helps:

Horizontal Movement
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void MoveHorizontal()
    2.     {
    3.         horizontalAxis = Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal");
    4.         rb.velocity = new Vector2(horizontalAxis * speed, rb.velocity.y);
    5.     }
    Kickback
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void PushBack(int pushDirection, float pushBackForce)
    2.     {
    3.         rb.AddForce(pushDirection * Vector2.right * pushBackForce, ForceMode2D.Impulse);
    4.     }
    Thank you in advance! :)

2. Vega4Life

Vega4Life

I would assume if the character had pushBack, you would want it to complete before you can move again. If this is the case, add a bool isPushBack (or whatever you want to name it). Set it to true in the PushBack function. Add an if statement in the MoveHorizontal checking if the character isPushBack. Create a coroutine as a timer to set the bool back to false, and call it within the PushBack function.

This will let the PushBack do its work, then give control back to the user so they can move again.

3. danigipsh1

danigipsh1

Thank you for you idea, I'll try it.

4. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Could also add velocity instead of explicitly setting it and clamping it if it's over the max speed

5. StarManta

StarManta

Another option would be to have the velocity move towards a specific value.

Code (csharp):
    1. horizontalAxis = Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal");
    2. Vector3 targetVelocity = new Vector2(horizontalAxis * speed, rb.velocity.y);
    3. rb.velocity = Vector2.MoveTowards(rb.velocity, targetVelocity, someAccelerationValue);
    You could alter someAccelerationValue and, for example, make it lower when your character has just been hit by the PushBack effect, but very high in normal circumstances to preserve your snappy movement. That way your players will not feel completely powerless after PushBack, but still a little bit hampered.