Search Unity

the values to use for Scale

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Colin Holgate, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate

I haven't used Unity for a while (been running 10.5 for a long time, and Unity had problems with that, I did the recent upgrade to get back in action). I'm going through the scripting tutorial to get myself back into it, and the first thing it says to do is to make a cube with a scale of 5, 0.1, 5. When I do that, or even just make a default cube, the object is so tiny that I have to zoom in a very long way, at which point moving the scene becomes unmanageably sensitive.

Has something changed with regard to scale since v1.6? Should I be using larger numbers, or is there a preference I should set so that a new cube is at least big enough to be visible?

2. drJones

drJones

have you tried just hitting 'f' (autocenter) while your mouse is over the scene view and the object is selected?

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The scale is the same as always...1 unit = 1 meter. Also keep in mind that the scale is local, so if the cube is the child of something with a small scale, it too will be scaled smaller even though it could say (1, 1, 1).

--Eric

4. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate

Thanks for the suggestion, though that would just do the same as I was doing by zooming in.

Strange thing though, creating a new document and making a new cube give me what I used to get, and not a super tiny cube. I wonder if some old v1.6 preferences were still affecting the new version? In any case I can now repeatedly make a new document and get a cube that is immediately visible at a good size.

Thanks again, especially for the speedy reply.

5. nickavv

nickavv

If your entire scene is very large, the default cube will appear smaller. Try and scale everything relative to the default primitives and you'll be on your way.

6. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate

Thanks for the tips about scenes being big and child models of scaled parents, but remember that I was talking about the first action in the tutorial. Well, second action if you count starting a new document, so the scene was fairly empty!