Search Unity

The Usual Suspects

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by AaronC, Dec 21, 2006.

1. AaronC

AaronC

Attached Files:

2. drJones

drJones

pretty cool so far, there are some problems that make it hard to play though:

1. the jeep. its very touchy - it flips often for no reason can get huge velocity (i was ramping up the 80° walls of the canyon easilly). also how do you get out of it? i don't know if you intended it or not but the minimap rotates with the jeep when it flips - i imagine its because they're linked.

2. the opening is glacial - i'd speed it up quite a bit - with the long pauses where nothing happens i thought it was hung the first time i played it. (i really like the fade from letterbox to fullscreen though)

i'm very interested what the story is ; )

3. AaronC

AaronC

Hi Dr J
    The current jeep took a couple of weeks to setup. When I started it there was no "carwizard" and I must have made the car unsymetrical. I spent so much time on the car I couldnt bring myself to start again.
    It sticks like glue because I wanted"easy to play" rather than "see if you can master this".
    A Glacial start? It was an idea I wish I'd ditched. If only I could fast forward all animations globally. Ive sat through that flaming animation hundereds of times.
    Application loadlevel isnt working on my machine(though the splash did for some reason)-it generally crashes unity-so The whole thing except splash is one level, hence skipping the opening cinematic is a no go, unfortunately.

How do you get out of jeep?
    Get shot by the sentry guns...

The canyon walls have an invisible roof to stop it from being too easy to get to the end...

If you can capture the actors dialouge, and reverse it, youll find out the story though my voice acting is so bad, I liked much beeter how it is now
    Thanks-I know the download site works now. I have a change to make so if you download it and it doesnt work, try later.
    AC

4. drJones

drJones

its weird its hard to do anything repeatable, its almost like there's an invisible collider i keep running into. i've found that moving slow steady works ok - though i was having a blast rocketing into the sky just for fun.

really just moving the camera would make it nicer - something kinda like the opening shots of "the shining" flying through the mountains. i've found the sarcophagus now got out of the jeep. i died trying to get on top of the jet the second time through ; )

5. AaronC

AaronC

Dr Jones, I thank you.
    I had a quick look at my project, and I'd left a prefab in the scene by accident. It was in a trigger zone, causing the opening cam's waypoints to be destroyed...So the opening cinematic is there, but you havent seen it. Thanks for making me double check. I stayed up almost 48 hours knocking this over....

Im reuploading it via dialup so check it in a few hours if you like...Thanks again
    AC

6. drJones

drJones

ahh, cool. it seemed really odd to me that the scene would just sit there for 30 seconds or so between credits. i might be asleep by the time its uploaded but i'll play it again tomorrow so i can see it.

one other thing i noticed if you press view option "8" while you are in the jeep you get this:

Attached Files:

7. AaronC

AaronC

That there is the offending prefab...

Should be all hunky dory now, Though I can already think of 2 or 3 changes I could tweak...

Hope you enjoy it-
    DrJ- Im frankly suprised it even worked with that fps prefab stuckin there....

Thanks for your comments, obviously they helped a lot. Heres another screenshot since Im posting this in showcase...
    AC

Edit deleted attatchment
    Wastoo big

8. drJones

drJones

the opening works correctly now.

did you happen to watch the broken opening all the way through? it was weird towards the end all i could hear was the enemy bots talking real quiet in the backround while the camera was still - i imagine the start position for the camera (before the flythrough) must have been in the sky over their position. creepy ; )

9. AaronC

AaronC

Looks like Im screwed as far as 3du is concerned. I wrote this at the last minute to get walk cycle working on wasd keys
    Code (csharp):
    1. private var waswPressed = false;
    2. function Update() {
    3. if (Input.GetKey("w")) {
    5.   print("forward");
    6.   animation.Stop("Idle");
    7.   animation.Play("Walk");
    8. }
    9. if (Input.GetKey("a"))  
    10. {
    11.   print("left");
    12.   animation.Stop("Idle");
    13.   animation.Play("Walk");
    14. }
    15. if (Input.GetKey("s"))  
    16. {
    17.   print("back");
    18.   animation.Stop("Idle");
    19.   animation.Play("Walk");
    20. }
    21. if (Input.GetKey("d"))
    22. {
    23.   print("right");
    24.   animation.Stop("Idle");
    25.   animation.Play("Walk");
    26.   }
    27.   else
    28.  {  
    29.  print("HanginOut");
    30.  animation.Play("Idle");
    31.  animation.Stop("Walk");
    32. }
    33. }
    It compiled so i thought I was sweet. Doesnt work thou, character(3rd person) only has walkcycle when strafing right. God Im spewing about this.

And I ve been too caught up in this that I havent xmas shopped...
    And I did a port to windows and it looks absolute crap. Only works in windowed mode.

Oh well, whats next...
    AC

10. AaronC

AaronC

Hey Guys, sorry about grumbling. Yoggy helped me out with the last post-Cheers
    And my issue with the terrain and palmfronds flickering lime/yellow seems to be fixed be using different shader/mipmap settings.

Heres a windows build
    http://rapidshare.com/files/8988908/TheOasis2006WindowsXP.zip

Im still figuring out what the go is with these file storing websites, maybe we should collect a list.

Hope you enjoy it
    AC

11. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

every time i speed up in the jeep it suddently turns to the left slightly and does a few barrol roles and then lands on the roof, if i drive too fast in the mountains it goes completly bonkers and does loops and barrol roles all over the place, i actually think it would be faster to just walk to the sarcofages, i gave up trying to find it as i think the arrow thingy is bugged, it pointed to some place in mid air above a valley i was in.

12. AaronC

AaronC

Few complaints about the car-fair enough, It was my first. It has a bent axle(?) and will never be fit to drive on tar seal....

If you want to get there quicker, go left of where the arrow sends you, you can go around the lower terrain and pop pretty much straight into the Oasis...
    AC