Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback The Unity6 splash screen ...

Discussion in 'Unity 6 Beta' started by Enzi, Mar 14, 2024.

?

Do you like the Unity6 splash screen?

1. Yes

31.9%
  2. No

68.1%
  1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes, but fixing the splash screen seems to be plausible, while I don’t think people really believe Unity has it in them to improve the rest anymore.

So… baby steps?

2. impheris

impheris

i don't really care because it is just a beta, that didn't happen before tho, but yeah, some users are more sensitive to that i guess

3. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Again, it's an indicator. Unity in the past didn't screw up the splash screens, at least IMHO. But Unity in the past screwed up the majority of feature releases. Something is always extremely buggy or things are missing or overcomplicated or something always happens. Now they can't even release a proper splash screen, how should we believe that they will be capable of delivering anything usable?

Pitou22 and Ryiah like this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

We're sensitive to the sign that a company may have reduced resources for a product. A splash screen may not seem like that big of a deal but it's a trivial investment for most artists and they weren't even willing to do that.

Remember Unity 6 is supposed to be bringing in more income not less so anything that leaves an indication that they're investing fewer resources isn't a good sign. It's also a very weird sign to make when you're trying to convince people to choose a product that will soon charge them twice.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  5. Neonage

Neonage

This.

6. impheris

impheris

yeah as i said before, image is prety important... but tbh i don't even care about unity 6 XD that is why i don't care :p
    i'm not entirely sure if i'm going to use it in the future anyways and i'm pretty sure this issue is like a "bug"...

7. Neonage

Neonage

Here's my version of splash screen :p
    upload_2024-4-1_7-48-0.png
    upload_2024-4-1_7-48-34.png
    upload_2024-4-1_7-48-48.png

8. impheris

impheris

that's cool, but i would use blue :)

upload_2024-4-1_7-48-48.jpg

Lurking-Ninja and Ryiah like this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Every few days I've been asking GPT-4, and here's one of the ones it's given me today.

Unity6.png

10. impheris

impheris

old logo XD :p

11. Enzi

Enzi

That's exactly the kind of awe a splash screen should create. I know it's AI generated, but nicely done.

12. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

I mean when even the AI is more creative than the person was when they made the splash... :D

13. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

...and it's staying away from trees, grass and terrain.. nothing too close up, could be a high end mobile game hehe

14. Gasimo

Gasimo

Honestly, I believe I have spent more time in my life staring at the frozen Splash Screen rather than the Unity front page. I wonder if Unity these days has some built-in analytics which could tell them just how much time have users spent on the Splash Screen (and progress bars) compared to Editor / Web times.

Ruslank100, Enzi and Neonage like this.
  15. Gasimo

Gasimo

Lars-Steenhoff and mariandev like this.
  16. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I thought you guys were trolling but then ... that feeling of dread... it is real

Unity's pushing the customize-everything policy and soon we'll have to draw out own icons.
    Yeah that must be it.

can't find it in the new drop.
    Would be hilarious if they got upset and baked it in the binary :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think maybe since they are getting rid of the in game splash screen with Unity 6, the new Pro only feature will be getting rid of the editor Splash Screen, so the design we have is with that in mind :p

18. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

19. tertle

tertle

I don't really care and pay no attention to it so it took me a day to realize they have updated the splash screen again in b15. For those that do though here it is
    upload_2024-4-11_15-9-1.png

Queue the new aspect ratio complaints...

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

You know the longer it remains the more legit the possibility is that it's the actual final splash screen. :p

21. boyaregames

boyaregames

Ngl it looks like shader bug

22. bugfinders

bugfinders

Curious I still see only b13 as released....

23. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

Doc site lists revision number for the build it was generated for, which ends up being ahead of the version that’s published on the website or releases API. That can be plugged into beta.unity3d.com/download/xyz/download.html. Google cache has hits for older stuff. Not all revisions are usable.

24. tertle

tertle

What spy-master said, they usually upload builds much earlier than they release them. Probably a bunch of admin work or something to get changelogs done, update websites etc. But I like to get them asap when I'm actually on an alpha/beta just to fix bugs I might have.

b14:
    https://beta.unity3d.com/download/7e2d2d32ab03/download.html
    unityhub://6000.0.0b14/7e2d2d32ab03

b15:
    https://beta.unity3d.com/download/8008bc0c1b74/download.html
    unityhub://6000.0.0b15/8008bc0c1b74

laurentlavigne and mgear like this.
  25. bugfinders

bugfinders

I looked and i did not see anything linking or mentioning to v6 versions, even though it says unity 6 beta, the documentation versions mention 4-2017 and no more :p Im struggling with some bugs, so would like in on this too please, as i have been checking a lot to see when this comes up..

26. bugfinders

bugfinders

Cheers - I would desparately like to know how i can find these links for myself. For the same reasons

adamgolden likes this.
  27. impheris

impheris

i see they taking some "inspiration" from the community :p

28. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

\o/ good to know that full texture reimport is coming between b14 and b15...

The docs site currently says: Built from 6000.0.0f1 (4665b83523da). Built on: 2024-04-11.
    That is not a valid revision unfortunately.

29. Enzi

Enzi

We are going back to 4:3 babeeeeehhh!
    Well, the splash screen looks better at least. Lacks color but whatever.
    Why they don't just use https://forum.unity.com/threads/the-unity6-splash-screen.1558583/#post-9705419 and call it a day is beyond me.

bugfinders likes this.
  30. LaneFox

LaneFox

To be fair it's a pretty nice gradient.

LooperVFX, nehvaleem and PaulMDev like this.
  31. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

Why would they even go to the effort of changing the splash screen? It's honestly so much worse now. The rounded aesthetic and progress bar from before looked at least semi modern, this is just janky and unappealing. (Oof, especially the look of that text)

I vaguely like the image itself better, but the overall design is much worse.
    upload_2024-4-14_13-22-25.png

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  32. impheris

impheris

i like it... is pretty creative and unique imo

33. bugfinders

bugfinders

Im giving less care about the splash screen, more they are wasting time, even if its seconds, on, heres an imagine heres a window make it change some dimensions.. stop messin, fix bugs. please

halley likes this.
  34. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

I doubt they had a board meeting and tied up as many developers as possible to discuss the splash screen.. ofc I could be wrong.

LooperVFX likes this.
  35. bugfinders

bugfinders

Tbh i dont care if its one guy who has an idea on the can.. truth is, he spent minutes doing it.. there are more important things.

halley likes this.
  36. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think they are heading in a direction that results in a better engine, so they might as well spend time on the splash screen, IMO.

Would you rather someone spends half an hour to make a cool looking splash screen, or would you rather they spend it closing bugs with "won't fix" because I believe those are the two options these days.

37. Enzi

Enzi

This is like your 5th post or something stating that. Face it, no artist will be fixing engine bugs. The artists are probably bored anyway that's why there are more than three Unity6 images around. (ranging from cool to terrible)
    On the technical side, a png gets replaced.

Maybe you should complain about the manager who dictated that the whole splash screen should be redesigned because I was completely okay with it. That was taking a lot more time, the kind of thing you complain about this thread would be guilty of. Unity can do that fine without our complaints, changing things no one asked for.

38. bugfinders

bugfinders

Ah I see its not just me feeling bitter and twisted then :D yeah it does feel that way. You submit a bug that press play it will give you the finger.. so they change a load of stuff, and complain it doesnt do it now.. after sending you a video after you contest it you can see loads has been changed.. and its like.. JUST PRESS PLAY.. of course it maybe doesnt do it if you change the conditions.. thats like going out in the sunshine and complaining you arent getting rained on as the bug reported.

39. impheris

impheris

you guys are like: "i don't like it, unity doesn't even care"

and now

"why are these guys wasting too much time making a better splas screen :mad: "

LooperVFX, Ruslank100 and Neonlyte like this.
  40. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes, but that is only if you lump all the replies in this thread as if they are coming from one singular person, in which case, yes, the collective amalgam of all the replies in this thread is such a hypocrite.

41. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

This thread is full of bangers such as

lol Enzi

Feels like we're all a big family :D

But seriously, guys, each time I fire up U6000 and I'm too slow to avert my gaze, my eyes hurt. Where was the splash .png moved to in beta 15?

42. Ryiah

Ryiah

For some reason my brain keeps seeing a 9 rather than a 6.

mgear likes this.
  43. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

This is super clean. I love it.

44. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

I also like the new one.

45. Enzi

Enzi

Added a poll. Don't know why I didn't in the first place.
    Made a simple yes/no and you can change your vote in case unity changes the design again.

I'm still going with no even after the change. Looks like something from 2000 era. The 2nd splash screen is better than the first, I like the floor and the bevel of the cube, so it's a slight improvement, yet still in the realm of, not that pretty.

And then they redesign every other part of the splash screen and I don't see what's improved. Progress bar is stock OS one, ratio is 4:3, project font is aliased, rounded corners are gone. Was there a point to this other than being different? Who knows.

Gasimo likes this.
  46. bugfinders

bugfinders

really needs a "dont care" option :D

47. koirat

koirat

This.

Guys if splash screen is your problem, than you have no problems and unity is awesome in every way I just suck with it.

48. Enzi

Enzi

I consciously decided to not add a "don't care" option because I don't care if you don't care. And if you don't care, what do you care about us caring? Ironically you do care, because you are quite active with telling us how little you care. So what is it? Yes or no? It's not that hard to decide.

There are bigger problems than a splash screen but unlike bigger problems this is fun and it doesn't really matter.

LooperVFX, laurentlavigne and Ryiah like this.
  49. koirat

koirat

Because if it will be 7/3 for the people that don't like splash screen people will estimate that 70% of unity user do not like the new splash screen.

We do not care about the splash screen, but we do care about estimations :)

Neonlyte likes this.
  50. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

…why?