Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback The Unity6 splash screen ...

Discussion in 'Unity 6 Beta' started by Enzi, Mar 14, 2024.

?

Do you like the Unity6 splash screen?

1. Yes

31.9%
  2. No

68.1%
  1. Enzi

Enzi

is unacceptable.

upload_2024-3-14_19-7-45.png

The depressing grey colors with a cheap looking bottom gradient. The noisy color banding. The 6 that looks like someone cranked the SDF font values too high. The idea of projecting a 6 onto the wall of the most empty and bland room. This is not just bad execution, it's a terrible artistic idea.

This should be a moment of triumph, a moment to celebrate and we get this.
    Please change this, it's all I can ask for.

2. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

The depressing colors represent the outlook of the quality of the Unity 6 release after they fired all the developers working on the still unfinished features that had been announced at last years Unite.

3. bugfinders

bugfinders

i will say one thing
    it seems to startup faster, so you dont see it as long

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

But appropriate.

TrizZzle, LaneFox, IOU_RAY and 5 others like this.
  5. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Especially the dark corner, "no bounced light for you beyond this point".

I agree, this splash screen feels cheap, I liked the previous ones, usually. They were creative too.

6. Enzi

Enzi

In the age of ray tracing and stable diffusion, cheap doesn't even describe it.
    I never liked the noise that was in the last 2 (or 3?) splash screens but they were creative and artistic enough.

retired_unity_saga likes this.
  7. Onigiri

Onigiri

Yeah that dark corner is especially bad

8. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

Only Adobe have ever annoyed me with some of there ugly splash screens... so bland is acceptable... with all the other problems and issues going on with unity the splash screen is like whatever at this point.

9. spiney199

spiney199

I feel like there are more pertinent things to care about.

Splash screen is probably at the bottom of the list.

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What isn't?

11. bugfinders

bugfinders

id rather someone wasnt changing the screen every version, and they paid someone to fix bugs or answer customer tickets

Freakish likes this.
  12. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

It went like this, I imagine: "hey, Muse, generate an image with the number 6 on it with the best 3d lights we can achieve with the consumer version of Unity and save it into the splash-screens folder". And here we are. I can't imagine this went through on a marketing or PR department, it's a programmer-art, things like I make.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  13. Adrian

Adrian

This looks like a temporary splash screen for the beta, I would expect it to be replaced before Unity 6 is released.
    Maybe the branding for the update hasn't been finalized yet but they already wanted to release the version bump for testing.

PanthenEye and LooperVFX like this.
  14. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

I don't really care about branding at this point, give me input system bug fixes that are not in some preview version of the package in perpetuity.

15. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Yeah, same thoughts, this seems like a placeholder for the first "Unity 6" beta release or the first few beta releases. Unity has done this before on some initial handful of editor pre-releases that didn't have finalized splash screen art, This is Unity 2023.1.0a4 for example:
    upload_2024-3-15_12-37-0.png
    If it looks and feels just like placeholder or "programmer" art... :)

Gasimo likes this.
  16. bugfinders

bugfinders

Yeah i dont care if they asked Muse to make it or what, but please put effort in more useful issues than the splash screen, frankly i dont care if you snap a pic of some hiddeous toddler art.. its not the important bit.

LooperVFX likes this.
  17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Ooooor, here's an idea, make the editor open fast enough that a splash screen makes no sense.

rmb303, lclemens, Krajca and 6 others like this.
  18. retired_unity_saga

retired_unity_saga

19. Laicasaane

Laicasaane

This looks really depressing. I wonder did anyone at Unity oppose this cheapness?

20. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

the placeholder splashes were only in the alpha releases of the engine iirc

21. niuage

niuage

They should have used the same colors and style as Unite. That was nice.

22. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Since we are still on this topic, after looking at it for a while I think my mind became incapable of parsing it.

Is it a solid box and we are like, below it, and it has light in the shape of a 6 going through and there's a lot of SSS?

Or is it an inverted box and we're on top-ish and there is a light with a cookie of a 6 hitting the wall and then there is bounced light on the floor and other wall?

Both explanations don't look quite right.

23. niuage

niuage

Maybe that's the point, people can see both?

Initially I only saw it as an inverted box, like if we were inside, but now I think it might make more sense if we're below a transparent-ish box.

24. halley

halley

You'd think that with all these forum users purporting to be game developers, they'd recognize and ignore programmer art for a beta release, and just go on with their lives. But here we are, and all these forum users' lives actually consist of whining and griping about every last decision made by Unity whether consequential or not.

Shizola, KamilCSPS, spacefrog and 2 others like this.
  25. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

As opposed to whining and griping about what the community does, which only the cool kids do.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Windows:

1. Locate the Splash Screen Image: Unity's splash screen image is typically located in the Unity installation directory. Navigate to the following path:
      <UnityInstallationDirectory>\Editor\Data\Resources\Splash.png

Replace <UnityInstallationDirectory> with the location where Unity is installed on your system.
    2. Backup the Original Image: Before replacing the existing splash screen image, it's a good idea to make a backup of the original one. Simply make a copy of the existing Splash.png file and store it in a safe location.

3. Replace the Image: Copy your new splash screen image (with the same filename Splash.png) into the directory mentioned above, overwriting the existing one.

4. Restart Unity Editor: After replacing the splash screen image, close and reopen the Unity Editor. You should now see your new splash screen image when launching the Unity Editor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On a Mac, the process is quite similar to replacing the splash screen image in Unity Editor, but you'll need to navigate to the Unity installation directory using Finder. Here are the steps:
      1. Locate the Unity Installation Directory: Open Finder and navigate to your Unity installation directory. By default, Unity is usually installed in the "Applications" folder. You can typically find it here:

2. /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents
      3. Access the Contents of Unity.app: Right-click (or Control-click) on the Unity.app icon and select "Show Package Contents" from the context menu. This will allow you to explore the contents of the Unity application.

4. Navigate to the Splash Screen Image: Inside the Contents folder, navigate to:

Contents/Resources/Splash.png
      5. Backup the Original Image: Before replacing the existing splash screen image, it's recommended to make a backup of the original one. Simply make a copy of the existing SplashScreen.png file and store it in a safe location.

6. Replace the Image: Copy your new splash screen image (with the same filename Splash.png) into the Resources folder, overwriting the existing one.

7. Restart Unity Editor: After replacing the splash screen image, close and reopen the Unity Editor. You should now see your new splash screen image when launching the Unity Editor.

Splash@2x.png Splash.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

28. bugfinders

bugfinders

Interestingly i have no splashscreen.png anywhere, not even a file starting splash...... under the install

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have only tried it on Mac, but there the name is Splash.png

30. soleron

soleron

Horrible splash, I agree. But also probably placeholder.

31. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

Somewhere there's a programmer or Unity dev that's really sad that a bunch of people on the internet are S***ting on his placeholder.

Bravo Unity community for a new low.

And then ya'll (e.g @AcidArrow, @Lurking-Ninja ) wonder why Unity employees don't engage more with this toxic community

soleron, halley, davidwa and 8 others like this.
  32. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Dude, if my programmer art would have been published, called "branding" and the public would point out that it just isn't right, I would be happy, not sad.
    Also it will be only placeholder, because people made a scene about it. Otherwise they would have left it as it is. Like many other occasions.

Wow, you lowered the bar so low, now pointing out the shortcomings is "toxic". Dude, the problem is with you, not with us. Paying customers pointing out a billion dollar company's screw-ups is not toxic behavior by any sane measurement.

Insanity.

33. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think I've ever wondered that (and especially these days, I'm just assuming most of them are fired), seems like you're projecting, or you're directly blaming perceived lack of communication on me and Ninja, which is convenient.

So yes, if it makes you feel better, I am the root of all Unity problems: I control when they post, when they don't, when they release features, what to work on next, what price the stock goes, all of it, it's all me.
    I don't know, you can probably find other topics where that could have hit home a lot more, because I thought this one is actually mostly constructive:
    Is the topic inconsequential in the grand scheme of things? Sure. But that means you also don't need to post in it.

Because I thought the thread was going well. We got instructions how to change the splash ourselves, other people posted their opinions, some even said they liked it, but then a few people really wanted to tell us off and now we're here.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  34. bugfinders

bugfinders

Paypal.Send(@AcidArrow,$10,"For beer");

35. Onigiri

Onigiri

It's actually looks better when perceived as rough transparent cube with white 6 inside it (which I think it really is). I just think they should show more of it in the frame so it wouldn't be so confusing to understand.

LooperVFX likes this.
  36. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Sure, it's somewhat petty either way but hey, it's still funny and deserving of criticism! Whoever made the art for Unity I doubt has too thin of skin. Whether it becomes the final editor splash art or not, Unity is already using a less cropped version of this art elsewhere: https://x.com/unitygames/status/1768371906586255532

When I first started using Unity I also thought AcidArrow and Lurking-Ninja were just trolls but I realized they also contribute a lot here in the forum and the community with their knowledge, and keeping conversations lively!
    muppet-show-statler-waldorf.gif

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

It is a moment of triump and celebration. Unity's AI finally drew a number. :p

Ruslank100, impheris, Gasimo and 2 others like this.
  38. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

I agree that they can contribute to conversations in a constructive manner when they put their mind in it. But they also derail many threads by pure negativity for the sake of negativity. Playing the role of the victim, the 'frustrated' Unity dev, for the sake of attention. Everyone wants the same thing, including Unity devs - I keep failing to see how they think their approach actually helps.

I am not on a vendetta but look at all the noise this thread generated for the sake of a placeholder.

Neonlyte likes this.
  39. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's a single page forum thread of fairly civil discussion, what noise?
    Please stop derailing the thread with your, clearly, personal vendettas and empty accusations and tell us what you think of the splash screen.

40. Gasimo

Gasimo

This is truly a little silly thread but I see where its coming from. However, lets not forget we also had this release splash screen.
    upload_2024-3-24_23-44-38.jpeg

But I definitely would not be mad about some colorful graphics like we used to get back in the day. I dont even remember the last release which actually had non-abstract in-unity renders. Not putting The Heretic or the newest HDRP / URP demos on the splash was/is a missed opportunity since some stills look pretty gorgeous.
    Heck, why dont Unity show beautiful splash screens with games other unity developers made? That would be so inspiring! Could be even a monthly competition on twitter to get your game featured on the splash screen.

LooperVFX likes this.
  41. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

LooperVFX likes this.
  42. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Its only a software splashscreen; everytime I boot up Rider I don't think "oh wow, this splash imagery really impacts what code im about to write."

People are within their right to raise criticism and give warranted feedback; but this is definetly going too far. Id rather Unity Company spent time focusing on other more useful feedback threads. :p

soleron, rmb303, Armynator and 7 others like this.
  43. Enzi

Enzi

Companies spend millions on logos and corporate identity, fine tuning color schemes and making elaborate A/B testing. It doesn't matter what logo Coke has but they still care about it.

If you don't care about, fine, but don't tell us we're going too far and "it's only a software splashscreen". This would literally take 5 minutes because they already have a nice looking image for Unity6 which was posted above and used in promotion.

Neonage likes this.
  44. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Also, it's a minor thing we can use to poke fun at Unity and vent our frustrations indirectly, which releases some of the tension we get from using Unity and stumbling upon other non-minor areas of Unity that are bad.

I still don't know how this "went too far". I feel like 10 years ago, Unity people would join the party and add some self deprecating humour and it would all be in good fun.

Back on topic: After seeing it for a while I think I keep seeing it as an SSS or blurry translucent / transparent box that has a light with a 6 cookie going through it, but then questions arise:

1. Is there a big SSS / blurred transparency focus in Unity 6 I'm unaware of?
    2. Why is it so noisy?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  45. Ryiah

Ryiah

Rider only needs to be loaded once a day. Unity has to be loaded multiple times per day thanks to a combination of editor crashes, memory leaks, etc, and with how long some projects take to load you can end up seeing the splash screen for a not insignificant amount of the day.

My inner optimist says that your customers focusing on a minor thing means they don't have much else to focus on that is of actual importance. :p

KuanMi, Neonage, Gasimo and 1 other person like this.
  46. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

It's not about any practicality towards us, users. It's an indicator how much Unity itself cares about the supposed to be flagship product. Placeholder or not, it was published to the public to present the Unity engine itself. And it would not have been unimaginable amount of money and time to make a better presentation. They did it many times before.

Nothing has gone too far here.

Neonage, AcidArrow, LooperVFX and 3 others like this.
  47. Shinyclef

Shinyclef

Has anyone actually managed to replace it on windows...? Asking for a friend.

48. impheris

impheris

that way of thinking is really bad for a company. i'm not blaming you of course, but the identity of a company is important for user's perception and expectations and even emotional connection, that's why a good graphic designer is way to important for a company, you are a game dev, so look it as the coherence of your game's graphic style... but way more important.
    Also, if they don't care about their image, what can you expect from the features of its own product?
    (btw I'm also a graphic designer)

49. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I believe the problem is more profound. The splash screen is probably just the outlet for the frustration that many Unity users have.

If Unity had a better reputation in terms of features, stability and communication, the feedback on a less attractive splash screen would probably be much different and people would probably make fun of it in a humorous way instead.

Just some food for thought Unity.

Ryiah and Neonage like this.
  50. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Not sure what you mean by 'that way of thinking' that you are referring to. :D

Obviously the identity of the company is important; but the splashscreen is just one piece of that puzzle; and one that is much less seen and experienced than the website, videos, screenshots, editor, and just about everything else to do with the company and products. Its really not as big of a deal as literally everything else.

But maybe im wrong; this thread has revealed that Unity forum posters care much more about a static image that appears for a few seconds (or minutes or hours) than I realized. :oops:

KamilCSPS, mariandev and LooperVFX like this.