Search Unity

The Unity3d Live Link Plug-in Iclone in development yet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kory-therapy, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Kory-therapy

Kory-therapy

I was wondering if there is a Unity3d Live Link in development ? Can someone post any news on this plugin so I can know to start saving :p

the The Unreal Live Link Plug-in looks amazing and user friendly if I could make a wishlist the ability to export the cloth and hair physics into unity3d if that from baking from physics or if some how the physics export into unity with no problems

https://www.reallusion.com/iclone/live-link/unreal-engine/default.html#live-link

thanks for your time

2. Wow.
    1; I think you would be better off asking on the Reallusion forums.
    2; Really? You would pay $1,500 for this? I'm not sure if they are targeting the Indie developers with this.
    3; I think this level of integration currently would need source code access. So I wouldn't count on it, maybe in a year or two when more new systems will be more stable.

Ony and zombiegorilla like this.
  3. Ony

Ony

I was holding off on commenting on this, because I realize a lot of my comments lately are skewing into the negative zone (hey, I'm in the final stages of completing another game - it's stressful!) but I watched the video again this morning with my team partner and she feels the same way.

Anyway, this honestly just gives me anxiety. If I was on a team of fifty, sure. One member can work on eyes for a month, one on skin translucency, one on hand crafting viseme sequences, etc., and it all comes together in the end. As one member of a team of two, yikes. I don't need even more complexity in our tools. Yes, it looks super cool, and things like this are super fun to play around in, but I'm here to release games, and adding layer upon layer of micromanagement to that just makes it that much harder.

It seems a lot of times that there's a fetishization of complex tech and the dream of making a game rather than a desire to actually just finish and release something. People seem to think, "if I only had this tool, then I could make the game I want to make." To me, more tools and complexity just gets in the way of what I'm here to do. To each their own, but yeah, I think tools like this are great for bigger teams, but if you're a lone game maker or a very small team, it's just going to get in your way.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    elcionap, Martin_H, IcyPeak and 7 others like this.
  4. iamthwee

iamthwee

I like the idea of 'one-click' and 'it just works out-of-the-box' but to any 'realist' this is just a 'pipe-dream'

^^
    Wow look how many buzz words I used! I get a cookie.

IcyPeak and Joe-Censored like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, you wouldn't pay $1,500 for just one part of the program when you can pay $1,690 for a bundle that comes with most of the software they make. Only thing you would be missing is the Mo-Cap software. Keep in mind too it's a perpetual license.

Speaking of which how do you think this would compare to Daz?

https://www.reallusion.com/character-creator/production.html
    https://www.reallusion.com/character-creator/embed-content.html

Ony likes this.
  6. iamthwee

iamthwee

for a big studio it would be peanuts. they'd probably triple their costs in hiring devs to do it by hand.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

One minute after posted I found the answer. Since it's intended to be used in games you don't have to deal with special licenses like you would with Daz, and it comes with scripts to automate the process of configuring Mecanim. Time to download the trial and check it out for myself.

upload_2019-7-30_16-49-50.png

Ony likes this.
  8. Ony

Ony

It looks pretty awesome compared to Daz, from what I can see. I'm kind of known for using Daz models in our latest games, but I don't actually make that much use of Daz as a program. I primarily just export a mesh and then mess with it outside of Daz.

We end up making so many changes to the model after the fact (UV mapping, proportions, morphing, etc.) that it's not so much of a Daz mesh when we're done with it. See the "spoiler" below for a shot of our in-house outfit designer tool for an upcoming game, for an example.

Daz makes for a great human base with nice rigging and easy morphability, but as far as what it can do other than that, I'm not an expert on it. Some people do some nice stuff, though. The meshes it puts out on its own aren't really all that "drop-in" ready for games, I do know that.

That's where I can see it being really useful as opposed to Daz. The licensing can be prohibitive.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Teila likes this.
  9. Teila

Teila

Nice, Ony!,

Ony likes this.
  10. Ony

Ony

Thanks, Teila! :)

Teila likes this.
  11. Martin_H

Martin_H

It's a tried and tested marketing strategy in all kinds of other creative disciplines like music, photography, painting, etc..

Ony likes this.
  12. Ony

Ony

Yup I definitely see it on the music side of things, for sure.

Martin_H likes this.