Search Unity

The unity is getting VERY, VERY slow.

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by FernandoMK, Mar 18, 2021.

?

Unity is getting slow for you too?

1. No,

48 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Yes a little.

248 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Yes a lot.

2,243 vote(s)
    88.3%
  1. StellarVeil

StellarVeil

>10 sec Script Assembly Reload times on every code change has entered the chat.
    Well hopefully by 2024 they implement .NET CoreCLR in editor side and it reaches parity with Mono who knows when.

AldeRoberge likes this.
  2. mgear

mgear

3. Baste

Baste

Nice spot!

Yeah, that's interesting. I'd love to know why they were sorted in the first place! The method was probably first made for some system that needed that, and then nobody ever looked at that again?

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

5. halley

halley

I am just spitballing, but I imagine it's simply to ensure that results are stable. I can imagine that if the search order is otherwise not stable, or not obviously ordered, then every frame might pick results in a different order. Imagine the possible jitter when you're trying to drag & drop something to "the nearest spot" but there are 6 spots at the same distance: which empty spot is found on every Update might be different even if the mouse isn't moved. Objects moving through space need to get removed/reinserted into an octree, and thus even unmoving objects could be found in a different ordering. And so on.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. JasonDaze

JasonDaze

Moving a class takes 30 seconds. Great success.
    Unity has been on a steep decline the last years...with broken feature bloat always in Beta.
    I remember when compiling for Android went from seconds to 15 min.
    "Yes it's correct now, it was wrong before" was the response.
    I'm just waiting for Unreal to support C# :(

7. t-ley

t-ley

It’s probably to many assets
    And I updated to the newest version runs better with the nav mesh being a package it seems faster
    Anyway why is Unity party crashing when importing an asset and kills the whole project meaning it wont open its a killer to start over(2022.2.12f1)
    I was looking at unreal to, had it downloaded was not bad had a lot of templates, and like unity a lot of tutorials, but a lot of the assets say windows, but I have a Mac wonder if they will work on a Mac gonna try it this summer I’d be sad if I had to pay for the pro license to get errors like asset refresh plugins with no reference in the console, and to have it crash on importing assets like Swiss skyboxes but it probably has a better editor (pro version)pretty frustrating I just hope unreal doesn’t use visual studio

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  8. socialtrens

socialtrens

I you build for Android, then you must be installing a lot of Google packages, right?

I notice that after installing Google packages, Unity slow down so much. Every time exit play mode, Google package will reload for 10 seconds. Every thing something changes, Google package will always reload. This make me unable to use Unity at all. Oh my god! That's pain in the ass.

Sometime Google packages will make Unity crash! I found on GitHub that it's because Google packages search something when it reload, if it didn't found what it search, then it will make Unity crash.

This is just one of example what packages can do to harm your project. If you want to make Android games, make sure your game doesn't need Google packages to be installed.

9. drewjosh

drewjosh

Is it normal if I create a script, I have to wait 10 - 20 seconds every time until Unity is responsive again? I only have this problem in one particular project, but I can't figure out what it is. I only have one simple scene...

Unity 2022.3.x
    MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021)

10. unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

Consider we don't pay 1$ per compilation(for now), so its good.

11. AldeRoberge

AldeRoberge

12. reefman00

reefman00

In the editor preferences clear GI cache