Search Unity

The Unity Hub keeps asking to "make changes" on Mac OS

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by LavaPatrik, Dec 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LavaPatrik

LavaPatrik

This has been an annoyance for quite some time now. During a typical work day the message "Unity Hub wants to make changes." pops up about 10-15 times. It doesn't seem to matter wether I agree to let it do this or not, the message keeps reappearing.

This message is also very badly phrased as it gives no indication what so ever as to what changes it wants to make, and I'm not sure why I'd ever want to agree.

How can I make it stop!?

Attached Files:

2. AskCarol

AskCarol

Does Unity and Unity Hub have app permissions on your machine?

3. takasurazeem

takasurazeem

It should ask for once to add those permissions, however, how can we grant it that permission Carol?

4. mprogers123

mprogers123

I have the same problem, did you ever get this resolved?

5. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello @mprogers123 ,

I think you didn't give the hub the proper rights the first time you run the app. There is a firewall prompt that you need to accept. I advise you to uninstall the hub and reinstall it again, then pay attention to the firewall warning :) If it keeps on happening, please log an error report through the hub bug reporter so we can investigate your logs.

6. Justice_Developer

Justice_Developer

The hub has proper rights here (verified in System Settings) and still asks for my password regularly.
    This is very alerting behaviour, no software should ever ask for a password without prior explanation.

This makes it hard to teach people to care about security and NOT grant random permissions.
    If there is any possibility that I can send diagnostic information for this issue, I gladly will.

Edit: I have uninstalled and reinstalled Unity Hub already and it did not help (no permissions were requested during or after installation). Popup still appears regularly.

7. iomac

iomac

I did encounter this when I installed hub under another account. The problem was with the created license file under:

/Library/Application Support/Unity/Unity_lic.ulf

Either deleting the file or doing a chown the current user seems to resolve the prompts for me, like so:

sudo chown $USER:admin /Library/Application Support/Unity/Unity_lic.ulf

8. GiulioGL

GiulioGL

Thanks @iomac this works for me !

9. ohthepain

ohthepain

Also worked for me. THANK YOU!

10. Mmmiles9000

Mmmiles9000

I had the same issue after installing Unity on another user account, here is an alternative fix:

1. Unity Hub > Preferences > License Management

2. It showed an active license, however when I clicked "Check for Updates" it returned an error.

3. I chose to "Activate a New License".

4. "Check for Updates" now returns a correct "Your license is up to date" message and the issue appears to be fixed.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    AlexHJohnstone likes this.
  11. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Still having this irritating issue here on mac, using hub 3.0.0-beta.6

Edit: so far it has gone once I went into the folder of that license file and ran sudo chown on it without the $user bit at that command above was giving me 'invalid username' errors. So far Unity Hub hasn't requested admin password on launch since.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  12. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hi there!
    We had a similar thread about the Unity Hub behaviour when it comes to Mac OS, and it was explained by Phil_Z the reason why it works that way here.

Please, let me know if you got any other concerns by creating a new thread.
    I'll close this thread for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.