Search Unity

The Ultimate Endless Runner Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by weRplay Unity, Oct 30, 2013.

1. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Ultimate Endless Runner Kit

$Title.png

The Ultimate Endless Runner Kit is a customisable template that gives you a head start if you are looking to create a 3D endless runner. The template consists of a third person view of a character running from an enemy. A complete environment with props and obstacles add to the complete package and everything you will need to get started. Following is a list of features provided:

Obstacles (7 to start with)
    Seven different types of obstacles are provided including obstacles that cover a single lane and multiple lanes, obstacle can be jumped over, slid under and both as well. The obstacle randomiser script automatically generates obstacles on the path based on user provided obstacle frequency values.

Power-ups
    The project supports power-ups and magnetism and ghost power-ups have been provided to give you a head-start. You can add your implementation of as many power-ups as you need.

The power-ups even come with their own menu in the shop where they can be upgraded to increases their time duration.

Swipe and Gyro Controls
    Two different types of controls options are provided to direct the game character. The swipe controls detect swipe in each direction (up, down, left and right) which translates to jump, duck and strafe.

Gyro controls uses the device tilt direction to strafe while making the character jump and duck using up and down swipes. The gyro controls have been mapped to the mouse for easy testing. Try it out in the web demo by switching the type of controls in the settings menu.

Animated Character
    A full set of animations are provided to be used with the character including idle, run, strafe, jump, duck and game over.

Both Legacy and Mecanim animation systems have been provided with the character animated in both systems. You can easily switch to your choice of animation system without having to write even a single line of code.

Missions
    The Ultimate Kit provides you with in-game missions that are active in sets of three. Each completed mission is replaced with the next available one. A HUD notification is displayed whenever a mission is completed. The list of currently active missions can be checked in-game from the pause menu and also from the missions menu. New missions can be easily added using a wizard.

Global Achievements
    A list of achievements just like Game Center Achievements of iOS assess your overall performance in the different sessions of your runs. New Achievements can be easily added using a wizard.

Menus
    A complete basic set of custom menus is provided including main menu, game over menu, pause menu, settings menu, missions menu, achievements menu, instructions menu and a complete shop.

The settings menu lets you toggle between the type of controls (swipe or gyro) you want to use. It also enables you to toggle the sound and music on or off.

The Shop Menu provides a costumes menu, power-up upgrade menu, utilities menu and In-App Purchases menu. Two sets of costumes are provided by default.

NGUI versions of the same menus have also been provided. Just three clicks and your choice of menu can be enabled.
    Note: NGUI menus can only be used with C# scripts.

3 Lanes with Adjustable Path Heights
    The project currently supports three lanes and can be customized to support as many or few lanes as needed. The path can support variable height and curves.

Sounds and Music
    A number of sounds have been plugged in to play at different events such as running, collecting currency units, tapping buttons, stumbling into obstacles and much more. A complete background track is also played during the gameplay.

Interactive Enemy
    The primary character is chased by an enemy that responds to it bumping into obstacles or colliding with them face on. The enemy comes with its own sound effects.

Dynamic HUD Elements
    The HUD continuously keeps score as the user runs and also shows the count of currency elements collected in the run. Power-up duration meter is displayed when a power-up is collected.

Mileage notifications are provided after every specified distance covered. The HUD also announces the completion of a mission using a drop down. Pause button on the HUD takes you to a menu where you can check out your mission progress and also quit to the main menu.

Optimisation for Mobile Platforms
    The project makes use of custom character physics, menu systems and much more to reduce performance lags and keep the framerate as high as possible. Optimization tips are also provided in the user guide.

Choice between C# and Javascript
    Both C# and Javascripts have been provided to work with the entire game. You can choose your choice of a programming language and stick with it. All scripts used are well documented to make them easy to modify as needed. Just two button clicks are needed to change your programming language type.

Well Documented Scripts
    All scripts used are well documented to make them easy to modify as needed. A complete and frequently updated user guide and release notes are also provided with the project and on our website to make customization as easy as possible.

Supported Platforms: Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android and Web Player.

Click here to check out the web demo.
    Click here to check it out on the Unity Asset Store.

To contact us directly, please email us at unitysupport@werplay.com

-
    $Obstacles.jpg - $Powerups.jpg
    -
    $Scripts.png
    -
    $ObjectGeneration.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. jbh142

jbh142

Looking at buying this. Can you please tell us what additional features you are working on for future updates? Are you planing on adding Moving Obstacles, turns (in the demo there are no turns). Thanks

3. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

We have a couple of features planned in the future updates and moving obstacles is one of them. Turns for now isn't in the todo list. Thank you for the suggestions. We would really like to know if you have anymore suggestions or feedback.

4. rpgdev

rpgdev

I just purchased that WRP Ultimate 3D Endless Runner Kit and it is crashing Unity 4.3.3 on import on both Mac and PC.

First I tried to import to PC version and then I tied to import on Mac version but both crashed. Mac version is Pro and PC is free.

Please fix and submit update to Unity Asset store so import will work.

After a few unity restarts I finally see in Unity bit I cannot run Scene_1 because I get error "All compiler errors have to be fixed before you can enter playmode!"

I like the idea but needs to work.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. UltraTM

UltraTM

HI,

bought this asset now.

IMportet NGUI first then your asset.

now i have these errors:

Assets/UltimateKit/UI/NGUI/Scripts/SettingsMenu/ControlsButtonHandler.cs(7,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UICheckbox' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/UltimateKit/UI/NGUI/Scripts/SettingsMenu/MusicButtonHandler.cs(9,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UICheckbox' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/UltimateKit/UI/NGUI/Scripts/SettingsMenu/SoundButtonHandler.cs(9,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UICheckbox' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/UltimateKit/Scripts/PathLineDrawer.js(32,13): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'iTween'.

Dont know why. and didnt found anything in the DOcumentation.
    Maybe the wrong NGUI version. Using the newest one: 3.4.8

Thx in advance

6. UltraTM

UltraTM

Ok solved this by importing NGUI 2.7.0 and iTween.
    But dont read that in the documentation :(

7. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

The free distribution version of NGUI is already a part of the project so the paid version has to be imported after you import the Ultimate Kit. I can see how that can be confusing and will update the documentation. Thanks for pointing this out! :)

8. UltraTM

UltraTM

HI again. Have one Problem. The new missions dont show up. Editet the txt files. Archivments are working well. But Missions dont show up. Only the standar one which you provide with the package.

9. Yippie

Yippie

Looks nice, feel like I'm gonna make mah own runner game tomorrow :D

10. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

I'm not sure if I understand the problem completely, here is what I understand: you are adding new missions using the editor wizard but the missions are not showing up in the "MissionsList.txt" file (located in the Resources folder) and hence are not displayed during the game?

Just to briefly tell you how the missions work in-game, the missions are only displayed in sets of three. If you complete a mission in a single run, it is replaced with the next available mission; if you don't complete it in a single run, your progress is reset and you will need to complete the mission from scratch in the next run.

11. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Keep us posted with your progress. We would really like to exchange feedback. :)

12. UltraTM

UltraTM

Hi,

they are in the MissionList.txt but nor showing up ingame. Thats my problem. The new added by me dont show up. Also looked in this file. But the code is ok.

13. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Try clearing the "MissionsList" file (located in the Resources folder) and add a few missions of your own using the "Add a New Mission" wizard. Don't forget to clear the PlayerPrefs (use PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll()) in the InGameScript.

As mentioned before, you need to complete a particular mission in a single run or the progress will reset; I hope your'e not missing that point.

14. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Hi, I was wondering the possibility of using t-junction roads for my game. Is it possible with your kit?? an if so, how??
    Nice work by the way.

15. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Hi,

There isn't yet a way to implement t-junctions. It is possible but currently a lot of core code is designed keeping only a linear path in scope.

16. enzoravo

enzoravo

hi i bought the kit, is just awesome, right now the kit has 3 lines of moves for the player, there is a way to increase this 3 lines to 5 in an easy way ? or i need to modify a lot the scripts ?

17. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Hello,

You will only need to modify the Controller Script script to make that happen. The calculateHorizontalPosition(...) function makes the character move to different lanes. The "iLanePosition" variable carries the Player's current lane, its set to 0 for mid, 1 of right and -1 for left lane. It will forced by the SwipeMovementControl() function to clamp to these values.

You can modify the calculateHorizontalPosition(...) function to allow it to strafe into multiple lanes and modify the conditions on the "iLanePosition" variable in SwipeMovementControl() to do the same. Let me know if you need more help.

18. jgbitp

jgbitp

Hi,

We've downloaded and used the kit, overall we are pleased with it. However, one warning to the buyer: if you use the included editor script to automatically change the included scripts from the default javascript to C#, you will lose the layer labels and will have to rebuild them (at least, you will on MacOSX). Layers are:

User Layer 8: Player_lyr
    User Layer 9: Terrain_lyr
    User Layer 10: Walls_lyr
    User Layer 11: Ball_Collider_lyr
    User Layer 12: Obstacles_lyr
    User Layer 13: Moving_Obstacles_lyr
    User Layer 14: Text_lyr

Without the proper layers, the kit won't work.

19. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Hi, I added a tall single-lane obstacle that can't be jumped over by the player and has to be dodged. However, sometimes the element generator script generates 3 of this obstacle on the same horizontal lane and so the player cannot dodge and must die. I tried editing the range on the script to Random.Range(0,2) from (0,3) but it affected all the obstacles and made the game too easy. I was wondering if I could edit the code on such a way that only the tall non-jumpable obstacles cannot be 3 horizontally but the jumpable obstacles can.
    Also, any word on moving obstacles?? Would be fun.
    Thank you

20. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Hello,

Changing the random range is only going to make the generateElements function skip obstacle placement in the center lane. When ever a single lane obstacle is picked for placement, the obstacles in the next three rows are generated at the same time to make the level design seem as unpredictable as possible. For your case you will need to make the following changes in the generateElements(...) function:

- Run the for loop for only two times in the case of single lane obstacles. This will generate an obstacle on the path on at most two places in parallel.
    - Comment out the iVerticalPosition case 0 and 1 because we are only going to generate elements in one row instead of three consecutive rows.
    - Set the fLocation variable to fDefaultIncrement value and not the default increment value multiplied by three because as mentioned before we are only generating obstacles on one row instead of three.

Reply back if you need anymore help. The attached screen shot highlights the changes.

$Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 12.04.51 pm copy.png

21. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

i did what you said but now the obstacles appear once in a line only(never twice) and this makes the game too easy. Also, please what function affects the speed of the game (i want to make it like temple run where the speed increases with time).

22. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Are you sure you're running the for loop twice? An alternative will be to replace the lines of code where the lanes are randomly picked with a manual selection. It should be straightforward but let me know if you need help with it.

The player's speed can be changed from the ControllerScript. The "fStartingWalkSpeed" variable and "fEndingWalkSpeed" hold the starting and ending speed of the Player. The "fCurrentWalkAccleration" variables specifies how fast the player's speed will change.

23. enzoravo

enzoravo

hello again, i just want to remove the pause and die behavior when the player collides with a obstacle, i want to give the player a little bit of help to let him just touch two or three times the obstacles in the game, can you help me a little bit, i checked the code but i didn't recognize the part where the collision is happening.

thanks in advance for your help.

24. mangustas

mangustas

Hi there. I just bought this kit but when I try to start the kit on Unity 4.3 the police car instantly crashes o the player and game over. What could be the problem? Thank you.

25. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

From what I understand you want to allow the Player to take multiple hits before the game over scene is called. The "collidedWithObstacle()" function in the InGameScript is called whenever the user collides with an obstacle. In this function the "decrementEnergy(...)" function decrements all the energy the Player has (100 by default). Try reducing its value to which ever you need. This will not decrement the Player's energy all at once.

Drop in a reply if you need more help.

26. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

The obstacles used in the game are instantiated behind the Player and they are used where the obstacles are needed to be placed during patch instantiation. I've observed in some cases these obstacles are instantiated right where the Player's colliders are and so the Player's colliders collide with the obstacles just as the game is started. To avoid this try moving the location where the obstacles are instantiated further back. This can be done by changing the location in "setPrefabHandlers()" function of the ElementsGenerator script. Attached is a screen shot specifying where the changes need to be made.

$Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 9.31.43 pm copy.png

Hope this fixes the issue.

27. mangustas

mangustas

Thank you very much. You helped a lot.

28. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Loving this kit so far...my only issues are the fact that turning left/right and moving obstacles are not supported

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  29. enzoravo

enzoravo

thank you for the help, i got it working very quickly, i have one doubt about the controllers on android, i have test it on my google nexus tablet, but i can't move the player over the lines or jump with him? any ideas on what i 'm doing wrong ?

30. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Hello,

I'm not sure I understand your question. You have tried integrating a 3rd party controller on Android but the Player doesn't jump or strafe? Is that right? If it is, there is probably something with the controller's SDK that's not working as it should.

31. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Hey again, please i'd like to know the functions responsible for distance and coin calculation as I want to customize the score settings.
    Also, i'd like to make a function in the ingamescript to do some actions if the distance is greater than 3000. Please how do I go about doing this?

32. enzoravo

enzoravo

no, i have not tried to integrate any third party controller, i'm asking if the kit has already coded the input touch for jump and change the lines on android and ios devices or i need to code these controls for the touch devices ?

33. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

The touch controls come with the kit for all touch enabled devices which include iOS and Android. You won't need to write your own code for that.

34. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

All the distance and score calculation are done in the ControllerScript. The distance covered during a run is stored in "fCurrentDistanc" variable. The distance is calculated in the "SetTransform()" function. You can create a getter of this variable to use in the InGameScript as you want.

The score is calculated using the distance and is stored in the "fCurrentMileage" variable also computed in the "SetTransform()" function. It already has a custom getter function (Used by the HUDController to display the score on the HUD).

The number of currency units gathered in a particular run are stored in the "iCurrencyUnits" variable located in the PowerupMainController script. This variable too comes with a custom getter.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions.

35. enzoravo

enzoravo

i need to activate something to used them ? when i tested the game on my google nexus 7 i can't able to jump or move the player through the lines. i'm missing something ?

thanks for your help.

36. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Thanks..that helped

37. TWaanders

TWaanders

Hi, I just bought this kit as well and after switching to C# scripts via the toggle I am facing the same problem. (Not sure if the problem existed with JS).

As soon as I press play in Unity, I hear the collision sound and the policecar catches the player. I tried changing the values as you suggested, but this did not fix the problem.

Could you help me out here?

Thanks alot :)

-T

38. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Hello,

I'm having a hard time reproducing this bug at my end. While I keep at it can you please tell me which version of Unity you're using?

Thanks!

39. TWaanders

TWaanders

Thanks for your reply. I narrowed the problem down to the colliders. As soon as I turn the Box collider within both of them off, PlayerFrontCollider and PlayerSidesCollider, the problem does not occur.

I am running on Unity 4.3.4f1

PS, I did import the project into an existing project (as I want this to be a mini-game within my game). Everything else seems to work fine even though I initially had some NGUI conflicts that I managed to solve. So yeah, everything runs great except for the colliders. As soon as I turn the box colliders off everything works like it should.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  40. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Hello,

You have narrowed down the problem quite nicely, the colliders are the problem but we can't make the game work without them. Basically the problem occurs when the Player colliders are colliding with some object that has a collider component and has the Layer property set to "Obstacle_lyr", right when the game starts. Usually whenever I encounter this bug its because the Player colliders are colliding with the obstacle pool.

Can you please check if there isn't such an object anywhere near the Player colliders in the scene. If that's not the case, can you try moving the colliders as close as you can to the "Player" prefab in the initial scene. If the obstacle pool really is the problem, you can also try generating the obstacle pool at Vector3(-1000, 500, 0), so its as far from the colliders as possible.

Drop in another message if none of the proposed solutions work for you.

41. Shashi93

Shashi93

Hi, I bought the kit recently...and my problem is when i play the scene and click on the game..the character is falls down..and game is over...So plz give me the solution...thanx in advance ... ;-)

42. TWaanders

TWaanders

Thanks again for your reply!

I had time to look at the issue again and finally found the problem, which is embarrasingly simple:

Since I imported this package into an existing project, I forgot to select some settings like the build settings and nav-mesh layers.
    It appeared that these settings are needed for the project, the problem was resolved immediately after importing them.

Your support is nonetheless appreciated, I will make sure to write and excellent review!

43. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

It good to know that you got to the bottom of that issue. Thank you for taking the time out to let us know how you resolved the problem.

44. weRplay Unity

weRplay Unity

Hello,

If this problem is happening out of the box, then please try reimporting the package into an empty project. Make sure that you see the custom layers (Player_lyr, Terrain_lyr etc.) in the "Tags and Layers" window which can be opened from "Edit > Project Settings > Tags and Layers" in the title bar.

If you have tried making your own patch, please make sure you have a collider component attached to the path (over which the Player prefab will be moving). Secondly, the path should have the "Terrain_lyr" selected in "Layer" property. For more information please refer to the user documentation.

If the above solutions don't work for you, please feel free to drop in another message with more detail on the issue.

Thanks!

45. Shashi93

Shashi93

Hello,

i create a new scene and import your package in the new scene and don't save old scene..then play the scene in play window when i click the game ...The game started but suddenly player falls down and the police car stopped..this is my problem,but You are right in project setting>tag and Layers....there are no any Player_lyr,Terrain_lyr etc...now plz tell me what can i do..where i feel the right name of layers...plz reply me.....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  46. Shashi93

Shashi93

hey mangustas...I have same problem which u faced recently...but i m not succeeded to handled that problm...when i play the scene player fall down and game over...plz tell me what is the problem.....i also change the ElementsGenerator script (new vector3(-1000,0,0)but problem still....what can i do plz tell mee....it very important to me

47. TWaanders

TWaanders

Hi Sashi,

This might be the same problem I was facing; if the change in the ElementsGenerator script doesn't work it most likely has to do with the project settings. You have to make sure to import everything in the package (including the editor settings). Best thing to do is to import the package into a new project (not scene).

Hope that helps!

48. Shashi93

Shashi93

Hi Twaanders...

Thanx for your reply.....

but i faced a another problem ....when character running in the game..and when any obstacle come in the way and i pressed jump button... character normaly jumped but when it come on the floor after the jump then suddenly it fall down and game over.....why it happening...and it happens only in case of jump when i jump othrewise not...

but some time happens without jump...when it simply run in the game...just suddenly fall down and game over.....

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  49. adiohea

adiohea

For reasons unknown when I create my own custom currency (or even replace the prefab currency with another mesh) the currency is generated and nothing else is for long periods. I have been toying with this all day and it is driving me nuts. Any suggestions?

Well I answered my own question...

Incase anyone else runs into this here is what to do.

Unlike the rest of the Power Ups, You have to go into the PowerupScript and make changes to it when you change the currency (A_Crystal) model. Line 126 in the C# version.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  50. golden-pouria

golden-pouria

Could you please tell me when your next release will be and what are the added features that you have plan to develop for that (other than possible bug fixes)?

Thanks.