Search Unity

Question The system cannot find the path specified.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by BK92107, Sep 9, 2022.

1. BK92107

BK92107

Hello,
    I was interested in trying Unity so I downloaded it yesterday. However, everytime I try to boot up a project (using a template, I've tried 3D and FPS Microgame) it has me start in safe mode.
    I get 90+ errors that all say "The system cannot find the path specified." This is with Editor Version 2021.3.9f1
    I've tried finding a solution online but without much luck. I even reinstalled unity after uninstalling it twice. Once after doing an in-place reinstall of windows 11.
    I tried the stable 2020 version but ran into "Microsoft (R) Visual C# Compiler version 3.5.0-dev-20359-01" which isn't very helpful either.
    I've tried double clicking on the errors but that doesn't seem to do anything at all.
    I originally tried installing on my D: drive because I wanted to keep my C: drive free so maybe that messed it up? Last thing I tried was having the Hub on the C: drive and the Editor on the D: drive.
    Any help would be appreciated!

2. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Everything has to be on the same drive, it's one of the annoyingly annoying pitfalls of Windows. Although having gone to Chrome OS in 2014 after about 22 years of Windows, I'd willingly go back to Windows, I hate Chrome.

3. bnlandor

bnlandor

Unfortunately, even though everything is on the same drive (C:\) - because there is only one drive - , I encounter the same problem. The most annoying thing - besides QA missing this one - is that he log doesn't give any details as the where which path cannot be found. And there's also no setting to increase the level of detail, at least none that I have found.

I know Unity is definitely not an immature project by any means, but it sure feels like one.

4. KristoferKwan

KristoferKwan

I ran into this issue recently. I tried a number of things, but the thing I think resolved it was by following this guide: https://superuser.com/questions/727...ine-the-system-cannot-find-the-path-specified

Once you do that, restart Unity and try to reopen your project. Errors should no longer appear.

If not, look into the other things I tried:
    - downgrading Unity versions in UnityHub
    - turning off my firewall + antivirus temporarily

Hope this helps someone out here!

5. mateuszsadowski

mateuszsadowski

Thanks! Following the link you posted and doing what they advised there fixed it for me.

horatiu665 and Axidoys like this.
  6. cer0cifer

cer0cifer

Yeap, removing the AutoRun values works for me. Thanks!

horatiu665 likes this.