Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

The sub 1fps editor problems

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Player7, May 8, 2018.

1. Player7

Player7

So currently without broadband/fiber setup at new place and using mobile wifi to pc with usb tethering.. which works.. unlike unity which is seemingly failing to work properly for me in such a network setup.

If I start unity with the wifi through mobile on... and launch a project I get the below S*** constantly.. Unaccounted time between: GuiView RepaintAll add etc... alternatives between a few other things, ~500ms leaves zero time for even resizing or clicking on anything unless you don't mind doing it with the sub 1fps editor
    Unity_2018-05-07_22-00-52.png
    ...basically making the entire editor not fit for purpose.

Pull the usb cable out and start unity again in offline mode and its fine.

I know the corporate obsession with tying everything into the cloud but you could please actually check S*** works properly with subpar connection speeds/no internet etc.

problem was on 2018.1 and 2018.2

dadude123 likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do you use collab?

3. Player7

Player7

I don't use collab.. infact nothing is being transferred over the network when Unity is running.

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Have you tried "Deep Profile"? Perhaps it provides further details on what's slowing it down?

5. Player7

Player7

Given how the Unity editor can sometimes already crawl to a snail pace with deep profiling game scripts it would be crazy to attempt to turn deep profiling on when the editor itself was already barely functional and chewing up ~500ms.It took longer than it should have just to even click the few buttons to navigate to the profiling screen to even take that screenshot :/

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The same happened with collab - so it is worrying that it also happens if other services experience outages. Basically, the design of Unity is - if there is internet, they assume its worth waiting for. Bad!

Does various tutting noises and wags finger at Unity.

dadude123 likes this.
  7. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hi Player7, everyone,

I apologize you're running into this issue, and I just wanted to let you know that we are presently looking at what the cause might be. As frustrating as it might seem, services connectivity is really not straightforward to debug as there are many variables that might affect an end result. We do run checks to verify connectivity, but these might not cover all scenarios out there, unfortunately.

We might have a few questions if we are unsuccessful at reproducing the issue internally and as such, I was wondering if you would mind helping us refine our reproducibility until we nail it down.

Thanks for the feedback and for your help in advance,
    P
    Unity STE

dadude123 and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  8. Player7

Player7

yeh like I say seems to be the usb network tethering /slow connection.. and unity stuff not playing well with that... no idea really wifi over the phone can be fast but its generally slow and laggy unless downloading from google/steam servers then its super fast and chewing usage limits

9. Player7

Player7

Any news on this issue being resolved?

10. Player7

Player7

Well fiber got installed at home now, so don't have to care about this as the editor works again. Still a pretty bad issue along with the launcher/licensing issues all failing to work properly because of not so great internet connection that Unity can't work with even though every other program did. Feel bad for anyone who runs into these issues like I did.

dadude123 and hippocoder like this.
  11. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hi Player7, everyone,

I completely agree, this is pretty bad. We have progressed a bit on our investigation since and have some partial reproductions. Thanks for your patience in dealing with this issue.

Cheers,
    P

dadude123 likes this.
  12. Player7

Player7

Well I can always pulled the ethernet cable out and try usb tethering with the mobile to replicate it as it was a huge battle to do much of anything with unity at the time.

13. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Thanks for being willing to help.

There are a number of gaps in our understanding of the problem, but we ended up doing some progress nonetheless. I would be interested in knowing (if you remember or are willing to retry that tethering) :
    • Did you attempt to do a 'netstat -e' command while you were experiencing the problem. What did it reveal?
    • What was the top CPU process while Unity was at 1 fps? Was your CPU capped at that point?
    • How big is/was this project?
    Thank you very much for the answers. I deeply appreciate you taking the time to help us out.

Cheers,
    P.

14. Player7

Player7

Well i've tested it again with usb tethering ....
    • Did you attempt to do a 'netstat -e' command while you were experiencing the problem. What did it reveal?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. $ netstat -e
    3. Interface Statistics
    5.                            Received            Sent
    7. Bytes                       3673814          743583
    8. Unicast packets                3901            3651
    9. Non-unicast packets              21            5363
    10. Discards                          0               0
    11. Errors                            0               0
    12. Unknown protocols                 0
    never tried the command before... but is no errors with it being connect via usb tethering now, everything else works with it. just not unity (2018.1.0f2) but same issue with 2018.2, which even the launcher thinks the pc has no internet and only offers work offline mode...which at least is working now, problem was before was licensing issues.. but I think thats just because I've cleared up those issues since with the fiber connection.
    • What was the top CPU process while Unity was at 1 fps? Was your CPU capped at that point?
    none really all just avg baseline of 0%-1% cpu usage on different background/browser apps.. even Unity itself will only have like 1-4% when active window .. yet the editor will be unusable, and the editor profile will show like the above screenshot with the unaccounted time process taking like 500ms etc
    • How big is/was this project?
    well not really project size issue, can literately be an empty project or a one i'm working with like 5gb .. issue is the same with the editor responsiveness

fyi its not just the unity editor that is sluggish.. the launcher is aswel.. UnityHelper.exe chews like 8% cpu and Unity.exe at like 2% ...while just in the launcher with usb tethering.. and with usb off and fiber ethernet connect.. no such issues.

15. Player7

Player7

16. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

LeonhardP and Peter77 like this.