Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback The State of Unity & Packages in 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smcclelland, Mar 5, 2020.

1. soleron

soleron

The problem with packages and lenient QA.

If even ONE package comes out with a fix people need, and at the same a crippling bug, that "will be fixed in the next version" it can cause a cascade of downgrades that can lead to the mess you see here.

With all this renaming and consolidating of packages it's bound to happen.

upload_2020-4-22_18-38-14.png

2. Edy

Edy

As for what I've tested, installing a package makes it appear in the selection list. I don't have any non-Unity packages here so I can't tell for sure, but my guess is that it detects the installed packages so any other package should appear as well.

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'm late to teh party but they are listening:
    unity.png

IMHO the ideal project would be a fortnite (destructive environment, online multi player, with bots) on a small planet (stress physics, streaming, control, floating origin, and more importantly navmesh). Add some pcg to show the dots updates.

Add generalized RTGI for the crazy like me :p on all platforms ;)

4. transat

transat

Despite all its current failings, the elephant in the room when it comes to the package manager is its inability to tell me which packages from the store I have in my project, let alone if these are up to date. Not having that ability for any package manger in any application on any OS would normally be regarded as a show stopper. What we have currently simply does not meet MVP standards, at least for “My Assets”.

From a UX perspective the current setup is deeply problematic: for Unity packages, the manager references packages in my project. Switch over to the “My Assets” tab and suddenly updates no longer refer to my project but to the download folder linked to my store account.

5. transat

transat

I also love the way “All packages” doesn’t actually mean that because it actually means “Unity packages and 3rd party packages added through github but not 3rd party packages from the store”. :rolleyes:

MrLucid72 likes this.
  6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I think that's because the Package Manager is very new compared to the Asset Store, and stuff on the Asset Store hasn't been migrated over to use the Package Manager. Fingers crossed that's the plan, at least for the types of assets where it makes sense - but that's not all of them.

bluescrn likes this.
  7. transat

transat

I've been using the Package Manager for maybe a year. I believe it's 2 years old. How much longer do you think it should take Unity to implement such basic functionality? They are valued at 6.5 billion dollars.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  8. QFSW

QFSW

Asset store packages don't really use package manager just it's UI, they're still copied into your project verbatim so as it is now there'd be no way to it to appear and work like an actual package

9. transat

transat

That is indeed my complaint.

It's not entirely true though. The functionality is there and used by at least one developer...

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 9.09.13 pm.png

Also.. when I click Import on any asset store package, the PM seems to suddenly know whether that package was in my project and which files are new, which files are missing, etc.

Attached Files:

10. transat

transat

This is the content of a .meta file associated to a file from the asset store:

Code (CSharp):
    1. fileFormatVersion: 2
    2. guid: 791fdd21909a7c24ba231793543ad5e2
    3. folderAsset: yes
    4. timeCreated: 1440229318
    5. licenseType: Store
    6. DefaultImporter:
    7.   userData:
    8.   assetBundleName:
    9.   assetBundleVariant:
    Would be difficult to add a row with the version number and a row with the package guid to that file when it's created? And would it be difficult for the PM to be able to read those? Or would it be difficult to add a version.log file to the package at the Unity end of things (or oblige asset devs to do so), with the PM being able to quickly read from those? I'd be happy with a solution like that while we wait for UT to eventually bring forth the Package Manager that will put all the thousands of other existing package managers to shame. :)

MrLucid72 likes this.
  11. r618

r618

they (UT asset store) would have to make package manager support required for all submitted assets - which won't be the case for (yet) some time due to many editor versions still in use (2018 LTS - which is currently latest LTS - doesn't even _have_ asset store packages support in PM) and support for assets submitted long time ago (and not updated) which are still online
    right now you can max direct your complaints to each asset author individually

as general pointless remark: this IMHO shows how all systems are intertwined (asset store and any new editor features in this case) and how asset store is an afterthought rather than being integrated into all relevant parts from the beginning, so..
    I personally don't suffer that much though and I recommend sticking to whatever works atm #)

12. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

No, they just need to fix their own releases and make them compatible with fundamental core features that are/should be in the core engine :).

This:...
    ...is why there's practically zero assets doing it. If Unity can't/won't make their own LTS path support the package manager, forcing all asset developers to (unpaid) go and duplicate their codebases and maintain multiple incompatible build streams - and try and wade through the debugging mess to figure that out and keep it clear - then asset authors in general just won't do it.

That's not a good idea. In most cases, it will just make you unpopular: most asset developers would love to be using the package manager for everything, if only it worked (with all official current Unity versions) and had the features necessary to make it work well with the assetstore (which it still doesn't - and many asset authors currently have better implementations of what the package-manager fails to do. You're asking them to downgrade, until Unity fixes their end).

QFT:
    :)

transat likes this.
  13. r618

r618

for store PM packages to work reliably I would assume they have to be at least in its own specific PM tracked folder, and if placed under 'Packages' half of the assets which contain editor functionality specific resources and/or scripting would currently fail to load after importing if placed into a folder which is not the one they were submitted with
    So rather Yes: there will be IMHO an officially communicated transition period for AS authors to move to PM - which won't happen until maybe [edit:] 2021 LTS or smh
    there are of course more ways how to implement this, even if partially for the time being where this might not be needed and store will handle everything automatically - but I doubt it

I personally couldn't care less if some authors use AGI for their packages deployment and a user has undoubtedly right to ask to support something (if they only knew they risk their popularity maybe they wouldn't)

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What I think is irrelevant. For a sample of how things are take a look at the input system. Nearly 15 years and they've almost got a replacement ready.

Being big makes some things faster, and some things slower. The technical side of changing this stuff over likely isn't a big deal. The organisational side of moving things over is likely to be pretty tricky.

In all honesty I see a lot of value in the approach of moving over internal stuff first, and Asset Store stuff last. It means they can have their ducks in a row before pushing mass adoption by other vendors. The time in the middle is awkward and I too wish it were shorter, but I'm generally happy that they're moving in the right direction.

15. transat

transat

Yes, I’m hoping they are moving in the right direction as well. But to be honest I don’t remember seeing anything about this in the recent roadmap video. Was there anything about the PM in @willgoldstone ‘s presentation that mentioned what was “in development”? What I remember instead is something about how some improvements have been made and are in preview... and yet there is no package for the package manager and I’m on the latest version of Unity and I’m not seeing the ever so slightly improved UI from that pre-release screenshot (namely: a tiny splash of yellow). Hence my attempt at giving UT a kick up their backside.

16. JoNax97

JoNax97

I asked specifically that and they said it has been postponed because of workflow issues. I suspect it has to do with one or more of the following:
    • packaging+verification+publishing tools
    • support for generated/editable content (apart from samples)
    • support for things that still depends on very specific folder configurations, like gizmos and editor resources.

a436t4ataf likes this.
  17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Hmm, and loading stuff where neither direct references from a scene nor async loading are appropriate?

18. Deozaan

Deozaan

Here's a reason why forcing the Asset Store content creators to use the Package Manager might be a bad idea: Have you ever customized any asset you've gotten from the Asset Store? You can't do that with the Package Manager. Package contents are immutable and can't be edited/changed.

19. transat

transat

To me that sounds like a reason to move on the systems architect responsible for designing the PM. 2 years in the making and you’re telling me they hadn’t thought of that??

a436t4ataf likes this.
  20. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

AFAIK the asset store assets are normally imported into the Assets folder when you hit the "import" button. So they can be changed normally in your project.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  21. r618

r618

you can safely remove the 'AFAIK' part there
    and they are *now* but if and how they will be handled via PM once it is nice to AS packages knows probably noone at this point

but this all is getting more focused on asset store packages which is not the entire purpose of this thread and anything regarding this will not be probably relevant for 2020 anyway

Lurking-Ninja and angrypenguin like this.
  22. Lorash

Lorash

At that point we'll start getting threads about "I want to change this one part of my asset package but I now can't because PM undoes all my changes, I could do this with old assets" yada yada.

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That should be relatively easy to fix, though... right? The Package Manager could detect changes to packages, and then prompt developers to import them into the project instead if they want to change things.

Ideally that's what should be happening anyway. Package manager for stuff managed outside of the project, and import stuff directly if it'll be managed inside.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  24. transat

transat

All I want is to know what assets I’ve imported from the PM and what their version number is. Just this very basic thing. Then Unity can take all the time it wants to reinvent the wheel for the other stuff... versioning etc.

Lorash likes this.
  25. ruthferguson

ruthferguson

I think the problem here is to maintain quality, especially traffic

26. valarus

valarus

Does Unity HDRP have support for Microsoft’s Xbox Series X and Sony’s PlayStation 5?

27. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

That sounds like a question for the graphics or respective console forums.

28. valarus

valarus

I didn't want to open new thread for the question. It is general inquiry.

29. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's a graphics inquiry.

30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Answer is yes they will be supported

Lorash likes this.
  31. transat

transat

I think this will depend on the Unity version you are on. 2020 will support these but I doubt that 2019 will, as it’s already LTS.

32. Metron

Metron

Nope... It's not yet LTS.

33. Lorash

Lorash

That wouldn't make too much sense though... the devkits are already out, by forcing people to wait an entire year before they can even start working with a stable Unity on these consoles Unity would lose momentum at a very important time. I hope that there are NDA'd PS5/XSX builds out there.

34. Kuura

Kuura

I haven't read the thread so my bad if I'm repeating; just trying to give a fresh answer here.

What is your understanding of the Unity tech releases (eg 19.1, 19.2…) vs Unity LTS releases?

LTS should have stable workflows with existing features. No weird vertex buffer == 0 engine errors with no stacktrace and no silently errored out lightbakes because of god knows what gpu memory or whatever. LTS I also expect long term bugfixing support for these features.

When you see a new Unity release, what is your expectation of quality?
    No unknown crashes, bugs or broken existing features. You guys have gotten better at this since of late, good job.

Do you expect different levels of quality or completeness based on the release distinction?
    Not really. LTS should be more stable and well tested, but neither should ever have critical bugs.

What is the primary motivation for you to use the LTS vs the non-LTS version of Unity?
    I see LTS as a thing only for multi-year projects that build a lot of their tech themselves.

When we say something is in Preview, what does that mean to you? Why do you feel that way?
    I have no clue. You guys planted the "PREVIEW PACKAGES IN USE" spam into editor few years ago and it's been there ever since. In every project I've done. It's completely lost it's meaning, and I have no clue why it's even more present in 2020.1 with a massive yellow sign in the top right corner. Guess I don't even care anymore.

Recently my favorite is reading a tweet + forum post about C# 8 support "coming" to latest Unity alphas. Cool, except it's apparently not feature complete and is missing some features. I've got no clue what word to even use to describe a release like this anymore. "Partial support"?

Does the expectation of quality change when you see something in Preview? What drives you towards using something in Preview? What keeps you away from using something in Preview?
    No. All I'm wary of anymore is your "Beta" and "Alpha" words. "Preview" is synonymous to "Cutting-edge" for me.

Other:
    - Package manager is moving to a good direction, it's rough around the edges but getting there.

- "Everything is a package" sounds like a nice endgame to me, but things are too intertwined right now to enable that.

- You guys have too many options for many features, and selecting what to use can be a pain. Something is legacy, something is preview, something is HD, something is universal. Clarifying the best practices for these would help many developers. Maybe create a website with multiple questions that ask about your teamsize, platform, visual targets, experience etc that would then recommend a workflow and what packages to use?

Kinda random ramble but posting anyway.

35. transat

transat

What about all the questions for the PM team? Why reply to the one question that is off-topic and nothing else?? :rolleyes:

Lorash likes this.
  36. jjejj87

jjejj87

Q: What is your understanding of the Unity tech releases (eg 19.1, 19.2…) vs Unity LTS releases?
    A: LTS is a long term support build (2 years) that occurs every year. Most production-ready, stable, bug-free build.
    However, in reality, bug fixing turnaround time drags on for months literally and LTS means nothing to me. 2017LTS and 2018LTS was just a joke in general. There are numerous bugs that the devs refused to fix and declare that it is not a bug, just poor implementation. And that it will be improved in next year's LTS (eg. UI allocating frame spikes...or the infamous lightmap baking which still has the same issues in the 2019 build)

Q: When you see a new Unity release, what is your expectation of quality?
    A: If it is a beta build I usually trust it, as it seems to get fast fixes on weekly updates. Once it exits beta, it pretty much takes forever to fix a small issue. So, strangely enough, I find Beta builds to be more reliable...obviously 7 out 10 beta builds are broken out of the box, but 3 are usually good. Funny...very funny and I do scratch my head with this, but this has been my experience.

Q: Do you expect different levels of quality or completeness based on the release distinction?
    A: No, as it never meant anything. For example, look at verified packages on the package manager. Also, lately many packages and features are marked ready based on Unity's marketing events - GDC, Unite etc. so I honestly don't even see it as an indication. I generally test it myself on my test station.

Q: What is the primary motivation for you to use the LTS vs the non-LTS version of Unity?
    A: There is none. I actually advise people to stay away from LTS. I have been burned multiple times.

Q: When we say something is in Preview, what does that mean to you? Why do you feel that way?
    A: Means very little and I don't pay much attention to it.

Q: Does the expectation of quality change when you see something in Preview? What drives you towards using something in Preview? What keeps you away from using something in Preview?
    A: I think the questionnaires are looking for answers in the wrong place and I would like to point it out.

the PROBLEM is not the packages in PREVIEW.

You are reading the situation wrong.

the PROBLEM is that things stay in preview for too long. Preview should be about a week or two long before declaring it verified. If you meant to use it as an early access tag, then get it finished. Some packages have been in preview for as long as I can remember. It has become the excuse for Unity to say that the feature is just poorly made.

another PROBLEM is that verified packages have issues that make the whole pointy of preview moot. If it is verified, then it better be.

My advise:

Get those preview features production-ready asap and stop marking things ready when they are not. If a package is in preview for more than a month....then it just becomes a joke.

Also, please don't release packages that are not finished. You guys have been releasing packages without even finishing it. Finish it, then release it as a preview, then get feedback and bug fixing done for about a month. Then mark it verified.

Deozaan and MrPaparoz like this.
  37. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Skip 2 Years
    on the branding name number

I'm rushing so this is the short draft answer.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...2-to-be-clearer-is-a-wip.644740/#post-4321432

Q: Do you personally stick to the LTS releases primarily?
    Yes, That's all the point of having an LTS, correct? This question makes me and you stupid!
    This means or that or you do not know for what LTS is for or you are not reading the build statistics correctly.

A: A novice user must use LTS only. Unity must push us to use the LTS as a final product. And experiment with the newer releases knowing it is in alpha or beta stage. This prevent noise in the forum. And automatically push expert to the alphas.

Q: For bugs found in an LTS release?
    This means you fail to do your work. Is Major Bug: Maximum priority all resources available to fix it.

I mean for SpeedTree as an example, could be any other external asset or Unity asset store asset.
    I mean fps frame per second as performance.
    1. The Editor is 20.1 Alpha | 20.2 Beta | 20.3 Final | 20.4 LTS solid final (make your game using this one).
      ACTUAL ISSUE: 19.4.35 LTS will be released in 2021.
      EXPECTED SOLUTION: change Unity number 2021 to 2022. OR 2021 to 2023...
    2. For me, Unity "release" means only LTS.
      EXPECTED: my expectation quality is not known bugs all has been fixed and if possible "better than Unreal".
      ACTUAL: Since all the main development is made on the packages and not on the editor, then very high quality at the end of each release (19.1.final,19.2.final) for that particular component that was added. But at the moment my impression is quality on details and initial idea, and very low on the execution of the general picture interaction final result LTS. Example UNITY5 crash when my game is close I was forced to migrate 2017. And was worse later in 2017. 2018 up to 2020 HDRP empty scene one camera only 100fps instead of 1000fps on GTX1080Ti. Assets asset store deprecated full of bugs not working VERY low lifetime. I'm still Unity 4 and Unity5 and afraid to migrate to LTS and choose a new Render Pipe Line.

3. Yes, you add new products with hi-quality in each version. You add first the documentation. Quality similar to Unreal with no bug. First, fix bugs priority and later give time to improvement. On the general picture (big-scale interaction between packages and performance). Bug fixing is a new feature. So if you change parts them there must be completeness. You can't change all parts and be incompatible with each other at there end on the LTS and that is not good. Each version has a lot of features but there are not video tutorials explaining each new component. EXPECTED: I wish a new component in each release (U22.1alpha, U22.2beta) Unity super stable in U22.3final, and at the end of 2021 the Unity 2022 LTS is released with all tutorials of single component done and free. So that in 2022 I use the Unity 2022 LTS for my game while fixing bugs for in the U23.
    4. If 2019.4 LTS is unstable I go to Unreal5 in 2022 and my wife divorces me.
      Expected: An LTS means that SpeedTree is integrated (actually not even on LTS). non-LTS SpeedTree is in the process of integration as well as all the other packages on the asset store. All bugs are fixed, low fps. Free video tutorial about a working multiplayer network. It is important to have an LTS because I can migrate my game from one LTS to another LTS in one shot.
      Actually: there are no free Unity video tutorials for LTS but yes there was for Unity5. That explains all the functionality of Unity. Actually LTS does not exist. HDRP 100fps as staring point is very bad as LTS. I wish a stable LTS. I'm incapable of porting my game from Unity 4 to Unity 5 to Unity 2017.1, then Unity 2017.2, Unity 2017.3, so I finish copy and past into a new version section by section.
    Package-specific
    1. Expected: I wish you improve the old solid rocket instead of a new rocket with wings. New cool ideas. In improvement, it means it is like a show car that is nice to look at but does not has the engine or is the first proto engine, not the production one. That there is documentation, video tutorials from the author, idea explanation, and functionalities explained. But change the name to Preview Prototype Alpha. So that novice users do not complain.
      Actual: Preview means cool idea in alpha, to replace old bugs that we do not what to fix anymore. There is a team making modifications in a fresh new idea and active. After the preview stage, in general, there will be no way to make modifications. There will be no team making improvements. only small changes and that's all. In Preview, there are chances that my issue bug is fixed. The problem with this is that when the product is out of preview, important bugs are not fixed. There is no team working on and improving (GUI, GUI, UI, TexMesh Pro) (all unity assets not updated). Everything Is like Space Shattel very cool in paper and very dangerous. The users make noise in the forum complaining that the preview (thinking is close to final). And they wish bug fixing first.
    2. Actual: The fact that there will be no development after the preview, pushes me in to help in the preview stage. The experience of not having a video tutorial explaining how it works, by experience push me out immediately loosing the change to fix or report bugs. On Github, No video tutorials, video example on how to use it in the GitHub page or documentation to start, all the main API functions exposed. It does not work with other packages. Preview is attractive because unfortunately when it will be called "ready" there is nobody to fix the big bugs (big picture problem) and push for changes. So it is not working and is broke. keeps me away. If each asset runs slower then there is no fps improvement. And there are fewer features in the game instead of more.
      Expected: "Preview pre-alpha" no documentation and draft code. "Preview alpha" documentation API of main functions and Video Tutorials of how to use it and the alpha code. If is HDRP and working 100fps thinking what we do? You can redesigne or stop production. full documentation and explanation why is slow, Why fps drop down 20fps spicks and bug fixing. Work on it toghether with the comunity until you bit Unreal. "Preview beta" integration with SpeedTree. is full documented, running fast. Make old preview asset works. Release Final" means that fully integrate SpeedTree and is running faster than the previous version not slower.
      SOLUTION: In the preview -> call it "alpha", and do not call it beta until is finish. So in beta you fix unexpected few bugs. Will be in beta for long.

Note:I'm asking this since 2017.
    Just skip 2 years on the branding name number!
    Why on earth we are using the 2018LTS in 2020...
    We must be using the 2020 LTS
    And building the 2021.3 in beta stage!

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    MrPaparoz likes this.
  38. Tanner555

Tanner555

I personally think Unity would be in a better state if less essential features were turned into packages, like 2D, animation, post processing, and DOTS. Unity should take all the verified packages, that are of great value to the grand majority of unity users, and integrate them into the Unity Editor directly. There's no reason why ProGrids, 2D core features, and Cinemachine needs to be a separate package. If anything, it hurts Unity because new developers have no idea these features even exist and features are left abandoned without proper integration into the Unity ecosystem.

Probuilder is a perfect example of a Unity package that could have been integrated directly into the Editor, with performance improvements and better usability across the board. Instead we have a package that hasn't changed much since it was acquired, and new Unity developers have to install the package to get essential level editing tools.

I still think these packages should be open source and developers should have access to them in some sort of repository, or possibly inside the Unity editor itself. Maybe developers could make changes to these packages inside a solution file that sits inside the editor folder (similar to the reference c# source repository).

Should the c# job system and the entity system be separate packages forever? Imagine what a waste of potential that could be. I imagine a future version of Unity would have c# jobs and entities baked into the game engine, with a complete entities/systems editor and debugger. The editor could be modified to work with DOTS projects, and future unity features could take full advantage of all Unity DOTS without forcing developers to install 15 mandatory packages.

OCASM and MrPaparoz like this.
  39. Lorash

Lorash

Having seen some UE4 where everything is integrated, at this point it looks like the removal of the package manager would be a feature and an improvement, not its presence.

Tanner555 likes this.
  40. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Keep the package manager, it just needs some more options.

And you can still ship a unity version with default packages that are tested together.

41. KokkuHub

KokkuHub

That's basically how the SRP packages work right now: their versions are tied to specific patch releases, except the SRPs get API breaking changes with pretty much every release to the chagrin of asset store developers.

Rich_A and Lorash like this.
  42. Socrates

Socrates

One of those options should be the ability to choose which packages are part of your default project setup. I feel like every time I create a small project to test something, I'm stuck removing several things I know I won't need or want out so I know it's not conflicting with my prototype.

Lars-Steenhoff and Tanner555 like this.
  43. QFSW

QFSW

Whenever I update a ton of packages show up for no reason too

44. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

Socrates likes this.
  45. ScottPeal

ScottPeal

If starting a new project, it feels so wrong to start using 2019.4 LTS when the rest of the ECS features are still coming in 2020. So we try with 2020 latest alpha until we hit a roadblock. IF, and IF, all the ECS features were complete and in an LTS, we would stick with the LTS.

BTW, what good is calling it 2019 LTS when it is released in 2020?

Of course alpha is alpha and bugs are expected. Open beta should be close to production release and just shaking out use cases you can't imagine or have capacity at Unity for. Just my 2 cents.

I do love all the great stuff Unity is doing and what is coming; however, I was looking at some old post and noticed I said the same thing before in long ago releases :) Fingers are crossed, things are different now.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  46. Deozaan

Deozaan

Where is the secret link to the 2019.4 LTS release I have heard multiple people talk about in various forum threads?

Alternatively, why do people keep talking about 2019.4 LTS as if it has already been released when it hasn't yet?

AlanMattano likes this.
  47. Murgilod

Murgilod

The LTS version isn't a Tech branch. It's long term support that's feature locked at the 20XX.3 level but gets bugfixes and ideally has support for critical updates for two years. I don't know if this is a communication failure on Unity's part or misinterpretation on yours or both, but there's never been a point to using an LTS branch if you're not feature locked or starting a new project.

Because "2020" is just the major versioning number. It doesn't 1:1 map onto a year.

48. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

Sorry but then that's a branding mistake. Acceptable for Q1, maybe.

49. KokkuHub

KokkuHub

I might be wrong, but I think what they meant was that with ECS being experimental and the SRPs questionable "production ready" status, the LTS doesn't make much sense if you wish to use them.

50. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

There isn't one. It's not out yet. There will be no functional difference between 2019.3 and 2019.4 when it's released, though. The .4 numbering is simply an "LTS blessing".

Was wondering this myself. My best guess is that all the conversations about stability issues started some people to post "2019.4" as a hypothetical "when it arrives" kind of thing and then others just kind of started using it as a standard release talking point.

As far as I'm aware, this is the last thing that was said about 2019.4:

Unity 2019 LTS (2019.4.0) will ship along with 2020.1 towards the end of spring 2020. In the meantime, we will continue to support the other LTS version, Unity 2018.4, with releases every other week. However, when 2019.4 is released, 2018.4 will become the legacy LTS and hence will be updated once every month. Instead, it will be the 2019 LTS version that will receive bi-weekly updates.

There's about 1 month left of spring so there's still time before Unity would officially "miss their target date".

unityunity