Search Unity

The Space Dwarves Just got Kickstarted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dreamlarp, Nov 19, 2012.

1. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

2. Meltdown

Meltdown

Looks great, good luck with your Kickstarter!

3. Foam

Foam

Uh... so you're not going to get anything if your cutoff for the kickstarter is 1.12 million dollars.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Yeah I was just looking at that. 1 million dollars *pinkie on lower lip*

5. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Seriously, thats a very unrealistic goal. Thats a really big problem with most kickstarter projects, everyone shoots way too high.

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

The goal is a little high for only 30 days, dudes!

7. nullstar

nullstar

I think you've shot your load a bit early there dudes. You've got a half decent pedigree so you would have been better spending a bit more time to utilise your experience and skills a bit more to make a really awesome kickstarter with great concept art, a polished demo or showcase to show on your video, and unique assets rather than stuff obviously bought off 3DRT etc. With what you're currently showing I think asking for so much is a bit far fetched.

8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

there's nothing wrong with using 3drt models...

unless youre asking for 1 million dollars ;)

9. scarpelius

scarpelius

This is a joke of course.

10. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

But video description says this game is being made by a team of professionals! ... although it also warns you that you shouldn't trust anyone over 18... wait does kickstarter even filter these things? O__o

11. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

If this is a satirical meta-appeal which points out all of the flaws in Kickstarter's system, it's really quite good. Most Kickstarters start off with a few hundred bucks in the kitty from friends and family, and not doing this is a nice touch which adds to the irony.

If not... well, I'm just going to hope it is.

12. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I really hope its not a joke. I wont take anything from anyone associated with this game seriously if it is.

clever? no.

stupid? very.

13. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Whereas you would be inclined to take them seriously if they made this appeal and genuinely thought they had a fair shot of making $1.12 million USD?

14. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Sure... there's a difference between creating a naive ks and a mockery ks

15. Nanity

Nanity

Hope dies the last: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/122270-Space-Dwarves-Bionic-Marine-Command-Multi-player

As some constructive feedback I recommend them strongly to include some actual pvp gameplay into the trailer or show some WIP footage of actual interactive featues. As long as I can't image how the game behaves I don't feel like investing into a 1M $ kickstarter project. And I do know they can, the Collaboration thread looks very promising in respect to progress.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  16. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

I'm going to seriously consider posting with subtitles in future.

17. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

THIS,
    I saw that and was like wtf

18. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

If its real, these guys are in for a very VERY rude awakening. I had my own KS reality check when I realized even asking for 2k , when no one knows you is a long shot .

19. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Oh, and I had so much hope for this project, it's just gone downhill...

20. Foam

Foam

It's not even that it's 1.12 million. I could see that as a reasonable budget. It's that without hitting 1.12 million they will never see a dime.

Whereas there are plenty of projects that have generated lots of buzz, had their kickstarter set at like $100k, and ended up at 1 million.

If you need 1.12 million and it's worthy, you'll get it, even if you don't ask for that much. Or you can set it too high and get nothing.

It's just a stupid decision no matter how much money they need. Unless it's a troll. Which would be mildly funny.

21. nipoco

nipoco

Quite unlikely that you reach your goal.
    There are only a few KS game projects that got so much money. And the developer behind these few KS projects are well known people with a huge fan-base and a reliable brand.

22. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I misread it and thought it said $1200 (that sounds reasonable if not abit low) and then realized it was 1.12 million dollars.

23. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Seriously? 1.12 million dollars? From where? The rabid fans which will materialize out of the sky at the last second? Not likely. Yes, I know that games are expensive to make and all...but if you're using 3DRT models, why do you need $1.12 million? Are you planning on buying 3DRT themselves??

On another note, your kickstarter page is badly done. The rewards don't really make me want to back the game. Ooh, I can pay $7500.00, and get two low-quality mechs! Wow. Just, wow. If I'm going to fork out that much money, I need to receive something more appealing than some stock 3D art. Please.

24. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

30$ to possibly get a game in 2 years !

Sounds like a great way to spend my money !!!

25. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

After reading through the KS, I simply can't tell if the is just a some sort of scam, or simply have no idea what they are doing.

There is no indication that they have built any kind of tech, let alone know what they are talking about about (an RPG or FPS 'game style'?) The "footage" looks cobbled together with stock models, no actual game play, no art direction and poor visual design. The "story" makes no sense. (if everyone but the "dwarfs" were wiped out, who has "targeted" them?) And for 1mill+ you can't just say "industry vets" and not actually list those involved or their backgrounds.

I really hope it isn't just scam in an attempt to get a bunch of money, but if it is not, they don't appear to have a clue as to what they are are doing, or even what they are talking about? (how can you build a complex "API" while clearly having no clue what the term even means?)

26. scarpelius

scarpelius

Is not a scam, because of the funds being released only if the goal is reached. With that kind of presentation reaching the goal is a SF scenario.

Any way, the problem here is the fact that some people might think that unity capabilities are as low the OP present them in his project, which is not the case.

27. derkoi

derkoi

lol. This must be a joke.

28. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

This is a scam

No other kickstarter project has that since it sounds outrageous . Wana lose your money, step right up !

29. khanstruct

khanstruct

Its not a scam. Dreamlarp has been toting Space Dwarves on these forums for quite a while. Its just frightfully naive and unrealistic.

I've never heard of "Key Man" insurance, but I don't see how it would possibly work (or be beneficial for anyone to provide). As far as an escrow agent, it does sound a bit fishy. Typically, the people accepting the money aren't the one's who assign an escrow agent. This sounds more like "my buddy is gonna hold on to the money for us".

30. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

I'll say, it does look rather suspicious. Also, they haven't made an appearance in this thread since the original post, despite the thread's instant popularity. But if this is a scam, then they must be the most idiotic scammers on earth. Do they even know how kickstarter works?? They're never going to get a cent, just because of the ridiculously high goal they set.

What is actually happening here is probably one of these 4 scenarios:

-They're scammers, and they're stupid.
    -They're scammers, and they accidentally added a few extra 0's.
    -They're not scammers, and they're stupid.
    -They're not scammers, and they accidentally added a few extra 0's.

Also, like zombiegorrila said, what's up with this??

Oh, I see. Your trailer demonstrated what, 3 features? But this API you made it's going to allow for more features, right? Oh wait, you can't show us those yet, because you're "uploading your assets".

Oh, so you just magically make everything from scratch without ANY code? Yeah, right.

...what?

Yes, brilliant idea, fire all of your [0] programmers.

Ah, I get what you are doing now. You're going to use your magic API to make an MMORTSFPSRPG, right? Brilliant! Because until now, I don't think it was possible re-use say, a car from an FPS, in an RPG. Silly art assets, being one-time-use only and all...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  31. khanstruct

khanstruct

I'm assuming that the "API" they're talking about is a middleware tool they've developed to produce and place content in the game. I've done the same thing, as it is better than hand placing/designing/coding every location, event or asset (Place an NPC, check a few boxes, adjust some sliders and he is now ready to hand out "Quests"). API, however, is the wrong term. Its a tool designed specifically to aid in the development of this game, nothing more.

32. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

That's what I got out of it too, but they sure were vague about it. It also seems that they might be over-estimating what their "API" can actually do, as some of the things they said were pretty ridiculous(or at least, were said the wrong way, so that they seemed ridiculous). The whole project up until now hasn't looked too terribly bad though; I think this is just a case of them not really doing their research (both about kickstarter, and about the whole API/insurance thing)

33. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

That is what I figured, they are hoping to create some sort of middleware/engine/cms whatever (though the actual description encompasses a few different tools). However, "API" is a specific term for specific concept, and a very base/simple/common one. It is not like they had a typo in forum/blog post or something like that. The KS is basically a marketing proposal to woo investors. They displayed that they basically don't know what they are talking while at the same time asking for over a million dollars. Not only that, but their proposed game is full of really what some pretty heavy tech, yet they don't illustrated they don't understand simple tech.

34. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Screw the game, a magic API to create an MMORTSFPSRPG is worth $10mil! They should focus on that part.

35. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Frightfully naive and unrealistic is just fine and even noble in some instances, everyone has to start somewhere. Heck you if take away "frightfully naive and unrealistic" you lose about 98% of this forum.

The problem is when you publicly seek major investment for dream that you completely lack the ability to deliver on. And what makes is feel like a scam is the fact that they are masking gaps in knowledge/ability/skills with made up terms, improperly used terms, intentionally vague references to skills and overly stated promo footage and understanding of the basic tech required to meet the goals. That is why it feels like a scam, (though it may be just ignorant optimism) they are asking for (a lot of) money to create something they simply can't.

They are selling snake-oil, even though they may believe it cures all, it is still snake-oil.

36. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Its like you have a complete disconnect from reality on their KS . This has to be one of the uglyist looking games i've ever seen , the pitch is a random assortment of stuff , and theirs no actual Pitch pitch .

Like the author never comes out and says hi . Who knows what they did on Knights of the Old Republic, he might of been a junior intern , or a lead designer , who knows !

37. khanstruct

khanstruct

Yes. Perhaps I should say its not intentionally a scam. But this does speak volumes about their team and their experience, which doesn't leave me very confident with this game.

38. khanstruct

khanstruct

My money's on "Beta Tester".

39. SteveJ

SteveJ

Ahhh... wouldn't that be lovely :)

40. laakerules

laakerules

dafuq! -.-

41. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Apart of me had to laugh at that , you need to be upfront when making a pitch .
    Who is this person, where's their moby games profile and why are they now making something that looks like a Full Sail 1st year project

42. tatelax

tatelax

And here we have an OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT from the Space Dwarves team via Twitter

Nice to know they are active with the community.

43. nipoco

nipoco

No, because it wouldn't longer so entertaining here ;)

44. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

I tend to agree with JamesLeeNZ here... There are only two options, either it is a mockery, or it is not. Either way I find it absurd and excessive, being it considerably worst if it's the second case.

unityunity