Search Unity

The Simplest Character Animation Tool

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by atmuc, Jan 11, 2016.

1. atmuc

atmuc

What is the simplest character animation tool for game development? Software like Maya and 3d Max is for featured films so they have many details. is there any tool that simplified for game character animation? there should be a feature like fbx export that compatible with Unity Mecanim. So far i used Modo, Blender, Maya LT.

2. jRocket

jRocket

Character animation is complicated, so it's unlikely that you're going to find simple software for it.

3. atmuc

atmuc

mnspi and Rinoa_Heartilly like this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

You named it @atmuc
    I've played with akeytsu and it seems to be very simple and intuitive.
    Beyond that - I believe Max has the simplest auto key animation process - though I'm biased.

5. illjuicebox

illjuicebox

Unity Technologies

If it's 2D you're after, Spine has been a godsend for me :)

6. glennrenner

glennrenner

well if you need to use humanoid avatars and such you really need max it will save you a lot of pain, otherwise why not just blender?

7. atmuc

atmuc

max is an expensive solution for me. For blender, it is not easy to use rigify and export it to unity. so far akeytsu is the best for my requirements. i wonder if there is better alternative to akeytsu.

8. vidi

vidi

Speaking of Akeytsu, For me is very easy to use and fun to work with
    Also It will nicer and better with every new update.:cool:

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Though I'm a Max animator and enjoy seeing other artists use the same tools I use, Max isn't a requirement to develop humanoid avatars. All animation softwares can create humanoid (avatars) characters. It's all about the artist setting up the rig to be cohesive with the Unity mecanim system. This can be done in any animation package that supports regular bones.
    I haven't found another animation suite that is simpler than akeytsu to use for beginners or experienced artists who can't afford the more expensive suites.
    All animation softwares have there own workflows and quirks, it all depends on the artists ability and the artists preference how they work. I prefer Max's workflow and the optional rigs available, CS, CAT, standard bones, spline IK, but for others who do not have Max I'd suggest akeytsu strictly for animation purposes. It's just simple, easy and quick.
    If you want/need additional modeling/texturing features, consider another package, but for strictly animation purposes only, akeytsu is great.

10. Rinoa_Heartilly

Rinoa_Heartilly

thanks for mentioning Akeytsu (weird name though) this will be a perfect tool for me

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. ACharrier

ACharrier

Hi everybody and happy new year to all of you!

For nukeygara, 2016 started pretty well: first, akeytsu has been greenlit on Steam ! Then, akeytsu is nominee for the Digital Creation Genies awards (Best Innovation categories) at Paris Images Digital Summit. We keep our fingers crossed ;-)
    Please check out our two first reviews from 3D World and Digital Production too!
    But here's the news of the day: akeytsu beta 2.0 with multiviews is available!

@Rinoa, it is true we have pretty different name style ;-) akitsu means dragonfly and nukegara means dragonfly chrysalis in ancient japanese language.

I put online a quick multiviews video too.

Do not hesitate if you have questions!
    Enjoy akeytsu ;-)

Cheers,
    Aurelien

mnspi and Rinoa_Heartilly like this.
  12. ashley

ashley

Akeytsu looks pretty cool, looking forward to seeing how they grows in the future :)

mnspi and ACharrier like this.