Search Unity

The side of objects that aren't facing light is too dark.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by caddi, May 2, 2020.

1. caddi

caddi

Hi,

I'm new to building in 3D in unity, so I'm going through some basic online tutorials. One thing I'm struggling with is lighting. I can't figure out how to get the side of objects that are not facing the directional light to still show colour. I can lower the intensity of the shadow, but how do I make it so I can still see some of the colour in the object. In the picture below, I'd like to still see some Orange in the posts and some yellow in the ball. Currently the posts are almost completely black. Same with the ball.

scene.PNG

settings:

directional_light_settings.PNG

sudurov likes this.
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The important settings are in the other tab, Lighting. You need to turn up the ambient light (and probably change it from "sky color" to just "color" or "diffuse" or something like that — I don't have the lighting panel in front of me). And then turn up the brightness on that ambient light.

3. caddi

caddi

In the tutorial, this is the lighting I see and how I'd like the game to look...

should be.PNG

4. caddi

caddi

Thanks for the quick reply! I switch the light source to colour and it looks a little better, but I can't find any of the Ambient settings you suggested changing.

5. whoisgliese

whoisgliese

I am having the same problem. I don't want to increase the ambient light because I want the light rays to bounce, not to enlighten the dark places with the skybox color (or any color)

6. antoinebr_unity

antoinebr_unity

Unity Technologies

This kind of behavior usually happens when the lighting hasn't been generated for a new scene. You can do so in Window/Rendering/Lighting by clicking on the Generate Lighting button (see screenshot below). You can also enable Auto Generate to always generate lighting when changes are made to the lighting data. Hopefully this helps.

danielchaveau likes this.
  7. Dinamytes

Dinamytes

Shader Occlusion = 0 will also cause dark unlit parts.