Search Unity

Question The server requires encryption... I'm stuck here at step one :(

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by petey, Oct 26, 2021.

1. petey

petey

Hi,
    I'm was just about to test out plastic and during the setup I chose requires encryption, I figured this sounds like a good choice, but then there doesn't seem to be any step where you set up the encryption key.
    I found a blog post saying what the key should look like but I'm a bit stuck here.
    I'm getting this message saying -

The server ‘testBleh@cloud' requires encryption, but your server is not configured with the encryption key. To configure your local server make sure you become the admin of the server (owner), try again and you will be asked to enter encryption key. Otherwise, ask your sysadmin or search 'Encrypt all data' in the online docu

Am I missing something, I can't find the step to create that key.
    Thanks!
    Pete

2. croquer

croquer

Unity Technologies

Hi @petey!!

You can! As soon you run your first checkin the GUI will ask for a password, that will be your encryption password, keep it safe as we don't store it, if you encrypt data and you later loose the key.... bye bye data, no one will be able to recover it.

Check it in more detail: https://www.plasticscm.com/document...ConfigurethedataencryptionpasswordfromPlastic

Note: It's possible to disable encryption, so if you want, the support team (support@plasticscm.com) will be able to do it for you. Notice all the communications are over SSL so data travels encrypted regardless if you choose data encryption or not. The extra encryption feature is to "only" store the data encrypted inside the Plastic SCM Cloud databases.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  3. petey

petey

Thanks @croquer!
    There seems to be something wrong here though, I get a popup after my first commit. But it's blank.
    Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 8.12.54 am.png

Thats on Unity 2020.3.2f, with Version control 1.11.2 on macOS 11.6
    Any ideas what's going on there?

Thanks!
    Pete

4. croquer

croquer

Unity Technologies

That's not good.

Can you share your timezone and availability for a meeting with us? I would like to check a few things with you.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to reproduce the issue.

5. Sravzz

Sravzz

Unity Technologies

when I checked with 2020.3.2f1 I only see Collab package not combined/version control package for that version. Can you pl. let us know how you got the package ?
    To resolve this issue can you pl. update to latest 2020.3.21f1 or anything greater that 2020.3.9f1 should work.
    I confirmed on latest editor version 2020.3.21f1 that combined package and encryption is working fine.

6. petey

petey

Thanks for checking that out, I messaged @croquer.
    This is the package that is installed with the Mobile 3d template 2020.3.20f1-

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 12.52.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 12.54.57 pm.png

I'll grab 2020.3.21f1 and have a go with that now.

Attached Files:

7. petey

petey

8. croquer

croquer

Unity Technologies

Hi @petey I'm very happy to know it's working with 2020.3.21f1 :)

Please, don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

9. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Good to know. Thanks for that precision.