Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug The search in the project settings is completely useless. And broken

Discussion in '2023.1 Beta' started by Rowlan, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

The search should filter out everything that I'm not intereseted in. Or emphasize / highlight entire lines.

Currently it's completely broken though. Wrong search results, no filtering, no highlighting.

I searched for "water", the setting is clearly available in HDRP Global Settings (below center of details):

water1.png
    Here's the search result. Only found in HDRP, not in HDRP Global Settings, no highlighting and that's way too many properties to waste everyone's time to scroll through:

water2.png

2. Rowlan

Rowlan

I uploaded a bug report, since Search is becoming more and more important with the plethora of existing and future settings.

IN-14049

Gekigengar, Ruchir and SooNice like this.
  3. Rowlan

Rowlan

Reply from support:

"Hi, Thank you for submitting the issue, but Unity is working as intended. We suggest you post this to our primary feedback channel - the Unity Forums, [https://forum.unity.com] . If you post your concerns on the Unity Forums, they will be looked through and noted by our developers so that Unity could be improved in the future."

If that's how it's intended, then the architect of the spec for this feature should consider doing something entirely different. Obviously those who specify the features, nor those who implement them use Unity.

Prodigga likes this.
  4. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Rowlan,

First: you are right, the settings page is not behaving as expected. The feature clearly doesn't work as intentend (regardless of the answer you got).

Second: I will investigate with which technology the HDRP settings page is done. To give you a peek under the curtain:

If this setings page is done with IMGUI, it needs to properly populate its search terms using the correct API (see https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SettingsProvider-ctor.html).

If the settings page is done using UITK, highlight is not currently supported (though it is scheduled to worked on).

Hope this helps clarify the issue. When I have more information I will keep you up to date.

5. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

From my research HDRP settings page seems to be done with IMGUI. We will see how we can improve search in these pages.

Thanks for reporting.

laurentlavigne, newguy123 and Rowlan like this.
  6. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thank you very much! It's been a pain for years already. A real waste of time. I mean try activating the Water feature and search for Water. You get all kinds of results. I only want to see Water then.

And that's the very same for everything else. When you previously added Volumetric Clouds as a component to a Volume you got an error that Volumetric Clouds isn't activated. Then you have to go into the settings and try finding anything Clouds related among a lot of irrelevant search results. Same for Global Illumination. etc

merpheus and newguy123 like this.
  7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Thanks for being on it. By far the most responsive team.

Can you shed some light as to why UITK is being rolled in throughout the editor despite lacking imGUI features? There is another regression with debug mode in the inspector which is caused by this.

8. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

UITK is mostly on parity and in a lot of areas better than IMGUI. There are some smaller features like this one who were forgotten. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Enzi and laurentlavigne like this.
  9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I think I speak for everyone when I say that it's nice to hear acknowledgement of mistake and fixing instead of the "by design" excuses of the past, so, sincere kudos to the entire UITK team for staying humble.

Out of curiosity, how do you keep feature parity of such a huge class, and especially the feel of it? Big spreadsheet? White board? Replace calls and see if it breaks? hundreds of QA hours?

Enzi, MousePods and Rowlan like this.
  10. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the late answer. To measure feature parity we use multiple things:

- spreadsheet
    - Visual tests (side by side comparison
    - user feedback :)

For some features like ighlighting those are more difficult to automatically tests/validate. So hence why it fell in the crack.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  11. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

I reviewed a PR that fixes a lot of "Search in settings issues" with Graphics Settings. This should be fixed in the coming version.

12. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Great, hopefully it'll be backported.