Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

The script don't inherit a native class that can manage a script

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by joshuahalls13, Nov 25, 2020.

1. ANDRAGOR82

ANDRAGOR82

Hey I'm working on a unity project for the first time and i have the same error

upload_2021-3-14_9-43-28.png

2. ANDRAGOR82

ANDRAGOR82

FIX:

The name of your script has to match the name of the script in the code mine is called "PlayerMovement"
    and the public class ***** : Monobehavior
    }

The **** has to be called PlayerMovement to match the name of the script

upload_2021-3-14_9-55-0.png

jbreeze likes this.
  3. unity_TAiqdpTmV2Lmug

unity_TAiqdpTmV2Lmug

[QUOTE="joshuahalls13,
    spell the name of the script and monobehavior class right i spent 2 years doing this

4. kewkumb67

kewkumb67

That was really nice of you to do!

5. Kewlife

Kewlife

I made a quick fix when this happened, create a new scrpt, add it to your gameobject, paste your old script into your newly added code.

6. Panakvina

Panakvina

Make sure, that the name of file is not same as name of any function in your scripts

7. SrBear000

SrBear000

see if you have spaces somewhere in the nemo of script, or create new script added next changer the nade and now do the code

8. MagyarPeter

MagyarPeter

I experienced the same problem, REMOVE THE NAMESPACE to fix it.

(you will have to write "*namespaceName.*scriptInsideNamepace" if you want to get the other scripts in the namespace.)

9. Lucapalooka

Lucapalooka

CAN ANYONE HELP ME MY CODE WOONT WORK ALWAYS SAYS The script don't inherit a native class that can manage a script.

10. Lucapalooka

Lucapalooka

THIS IS CODE:
    void Update()
    {
    if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftArrow))
    {
    transform.position += Vector3.left * speed * Time.deltaTime;
    }
    if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.RightArrow))
    {
    transform.position += Vector3.right * speed * Time.deltaTime;
    }
    if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.UpArrow))
    {
    transform.position += Vector3.up * speed * Time.deltaTime;
    }
    if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.DownArrow))
    {
    transform.position += Vector3.down * speed * Time.deltaTime;
    }
    }

11. Andyz280

Andyz280

I had the same problem and I found out that moving the folder would fix it.

12. Aleksandr_Novik

Aleksandr_Novik

If someone is still facing this bug and trying to resolve it, I erased the namespace my bugged script is located inside, switched to Unity (so the code compiled), then went back to IDE and added my namespace. Everything works now.

13. evanmaxey

evanmaxey

simple fix listed above as well, the name of the script as known to the unity editor "abc123" is different than the name of the script/class in the cs file "abc456"

just had the same problem after renaming in unity

keep the name the same ... all better

14. _met44

_met44

if you rename in visual studio using the renamme feature with unity tools it will rename both the script file name and the meta file name to match (right click on class name then hit the rename menu)

15. simixd4

simixd4

Sorry, i don't readed this discussion, but i finded solution. Don't name script for ex. "Camera Control", name it "CameraControl".

16. War571

War571

That fixed it for me. Thank you so much! I would have never noticed the space.

17. Zongoland

Zongoland

Worked perfectly for me ! Thanks a lot !!

18. iwobrzostowski

iwobrzostowski

hi! i am having this problem too. Can somebdoy tell me how to fix it please

19. iwobrzostowski

iwobrzostowski

So i did everything that is in this conversation, but it still don't work i downloaded some movement asstes to my projcet and it still wasn't working.

20. GrubZGameDev

GrubZGameDev

All the top comments are from 2020, and im very unhappy because none of the solutions from then are working now, but yes 2021 and im having this problem as well, your not alone. lmao please help

21. Ice_Forge

Ice_Forge

I was struggling with the same issue, and the problem was a script i had added in the scene previously that was faulty, are you getting 0 errors in the console?

22. theomcortez

theomcortez

Guys, the name of the class must to be exacly the same of the c# script, for instance, if u created a c# script named "Background Controller", the name of the class will be "BackgroundController" without the space between background and controller, cuz classes names must be only 1 word. So u guys should name the scripts without spaces, that worked for me

23. mmnagelia

mmnagelia

The same problem happened to me. I just fixed some bugs in my script, which were causing compile errors. Because of the compile errors, the entire Unity compiler just can't work, and therefore these problems happen. So, fix all compile errors, and then Unity can add the script

24. philswan

philswan

I found that this happened when I first added a new script with the name I wanted, and then tried to import a script with the same name to replace it. The new one was created in the assets folder, but the one I copied over was placed into the scripts folder. Deleting the script and meta file in the assets folder and then dragging the one from the scripts folder and dropping it on "Add component' in the inspector solved my problem. But definitely the error message is confusing and not helpful.

25. asdfsf

asdfsf

Hi guys,

I just stumbled about the same error message and came across this thread. Then I saw that my script name accidently contained some white spaces but I did not get any errors neither in Unity nor in Rider. But renaming the file to a proper filename without white spaces solved the problem for me.

26. chrisjrock

chrisjrock

This just happened to me. Fixed it by deleting the project's 'Library' folder. Unity will repopulate it the next time you open the project and it should work fine.

Deleting the Library folder often solves bugs like this so remember to give it a shot when you're stumped.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  27. kilouane

kilouane

I did the same thing . I noticed that the name after public class was different from the name of the script.
    I changed the name after "public class" . I put there the name of the script . Then the problem was fixed

28. Derpasaurus_Flex

Derpasaurus_Flex

This may just be me fixing my own dumb thing, but I found that the issue was fixed when I changing the name of the Public Class to match the name of the file. IT doesn't seem to do this automatically when renaming the file, which is why it kept happening every time I renamed a script file.

For example, if I renamed a script from "OldName" to "NewName":
    public class OldName : MonoBehaviour - Wouldn't work, because it's the old name.
    public class NewName : MonoBehaviour - Would work, because it's the new name.

29. KrstenGames

KrstenGames

In Unity, the name of your script has to be letters if you have used anything like space or numerals. It will prompt up "The script doesn't inherit a native class that can manage a script." I hope I fixed your problem.

30. x0llie5

x0llie5

Same thing is still happening and im 100% sure the code is flawless.

31. janeler88

janeler88

I found that if the name matches that with the public class it wont have that error

32. onoclushadowruntron

onoclushadowruntron

Thanks guys. I was following the Ruby's 2D Adventures and doing the first Script Rubys_Controller. After taking it into Visual Basic. I dragged the file into Visual Studio since it opens a second program. 1. Unity 2. Visual Basic/Pink Infinity Logo. Some thing kept happening. The code was very simple, just the Position X part, but for some reason, the title
    was wrong. It's like it changed after I was finished or finishing. Luckily I read these comments while going back
    through each line. The " public class Rubys_Controller : MonoBehaviour" had changed the "Rubys_Controller" into
    " NewBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour" I just had to change it back, saved it, and then went back to Unity to click on the Ruby's Sprite, then dragged the Script into the empty bottom, add component area, and it worked.

-ONO

33. Harmelody

Harmelody

Hi I had this issue in Unity.
    I named the script DialgueManager then realized I made a spelling mistake and corrected the script name to DialogueManager. When I went to try add the script to an empty game object I got the error "The script don't inherit a native class that can manage a script." Its because I had to go into the script and re-name it from there as well.
    So it reads :
    Public class DialogueManager : MonoBehaviour
    {
    etc.

34. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

35. KAISENPAII

KAISENPAII

That worked for me thanks!!!!

36. Redmutant9

Redmutant9

i have but it still doesn't work
    is it because im an a mac

37. Shaolinzhang

Shaolinzhang

I solved this after I fixed the DLL errors.

38. am_GA

am_GA

I just experienced this issue on Unity v2020.3.4f1 for Windows.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Opened existing project (that had never previously had this issue)
    2. Created new script Wall.cs; did not edit the new script in any way but did confirm the boilerplate code was generated including correct name and Monobehaviour inhertance
    3. Dragged Wall.cs onto Wall game object
    4. Received the "The script don't inherit a native class that can manage a script" error dialog
    Solution:

I wondered if having a component the same name as the parent game object was the issue so I renamed it to Wall_.cs, tried adding it to the Wall object again and this time it was accepted.

Then, I decided to rename the script to Wall.cs while it was still attached to the Wall game object, and it remained attached with no further problems.

Reason for the issue:

I still do not know.

39. f3rras

f3rras

Hello guys!, I just had the same issue, I was able to fix it by making sure the name of the script is the same as the one inside of it next to the " : MonoBehaviour". I hope this helps someone.

40. TheRealMajorGonzo

TheRealMajorGonzo

[Fixed] Only had one script, and it was a new, empty script (just empty Start and Update methods), and I got this error. I noticed some of the comments, and found that I had a space in the script name, but in the editor, the space was removed. Created a new script named "script with spaces" and looked over at the inspector, and it was named "scriptwithspaces", but in the project the script was still called "script with spaces". Unity's fault; it is removing the spaces within the file. Renaming the script to remove the spaces allows me to attach them.

41. gkttjs232

gkttjs232

I fixed it by changing classname as scriptname. thank u guys :D

42. Hanzuki

Hanzuki

So, came here looking for an answer to the "Can't add script because the script doesn't inherit from a native class" or some such error. I solved by ensuring that the name of the script file matches the name of the class in the file. Example:ClockBehaviour.cs -> public class ClockBehaviour : MonoBehaviour{}. They must be the same

unityunity