Search Unity

1. We would like to hear your feedback about Unity and our products. Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro The Russian letters aren't shown. Instead of them blocks. Help please!

Discussion in 'Unity UI (uGUI) & TextMesh Pro' started by MramidK1, Apr 28, 2017.

1. MramidK1

MramidK1

Hi, everybody! I apologize for my English) Google the translator)

2017-04-28_10-38-40.png 2017-04-28_10-38-58.png 2017-04-28_10-38-40.png 2017-04-28_10-38-40.png
    If it is short, then the Russian letters and symbols aren't displayed. I tried to generate shrit via the generator, but also he doesn't see the Russian symbols. Don't prompt as it is possible to solve this problem? I apply screenshots.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

In the Font Asset Creator - Character Set, you have selected ASCII which will only include the ASCII character set in the font asset.

To include characters for different languages like Russian which uses the Cyrillic character set, you have to include those in your selection. According to the Unicode Chart where you can learn about the Unicode range for all languages, Cyrillic is located in the range of 0400-04FF.

Here is an example of an SDF Font Asset that I can use as Fallback using Unicode Range 400-4FF which include the Cyrillic set.

upload_2017-4-28_1-24-10.png

Please take the time to watch the video about Font Asset Creation as all these options are explained including localization. I also strongly suggest you watch the video about Material Presets which is equally important.

I also suggest you use SDF 16 or SDF 32 as this will give you the most flexibility and allow you to use Material Presets to define different visual styles for your text.

3. MramidK1

MramidK1

thanks for the help

4. Rich_A

Rich_A

To the creator, respectfully, you are making this way too difficult.

There are a handful of common languages that should be simple to implement, with standard instructions:

Extended ASCII (Latin-based languages) + Cyrillic covers 95%+ of games and fonts

Then separate instructions for Chinese, Japanese, Korean.

We shouldn't need to hunt down font tables in obscure PDFs.

So:

What are the precise settings I need to enter to have Extended ASCII + Cyrillic?

Edit: Here are the settings that worked for me:

0000 - 4FF

Giving English, German, Russian.

Easy right!? No need to watch a 20 minute tutorial :)

Edit: you'll probably need a 4k Atlas for this. Zooming in I can see a lot of font simplifcation

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

If you are using the latest release of the TextMesh Pro package which is version 1.4.1 for Unity 2018.3 and Unity 2018.4 or version 2.0.1 for Unity 2019.x with the new Dynamic SDF support, you simply need to create a dynamic font asset and make sure your select font contains the appropriate characters and that is it.

If you are using the previous version, you need to define the range of characters you wish to include which would be extended ASCII and then create a fallback font asset that contains the Cyrillic character set which is unicode range 0400-04FF as shown in my previous post. Then assign this Cyrillic font asset as fallback to your primary Extended ASCII one.

6. Rich_A

Rich_A

Thanks for the reply. I'm using I2 Localisation, so I can just set a separate font.

I tried with 0000-4FF with a 4K Atlas and 32 render setting, but it crashed the editor.

7. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

0000-04FFF would result in adding a bunch of undesired characters. Each language exists in a given unicode block so it is best to either use the dynamic SDF system (if you don't want to worry about any of this) or to specify the unicode block you really need.

I realize the learning about Unicode is boring but it is there for a reason.

P.S. I will consider adding an addition option in the Font Asset Creator to include something like Extended ASCII + Cyrillic.

Skyblade and Rich_A like this.
  8. Skyblade

Skyblade

Ok, where I can get Arial font with Cyrillic characters? I see only LiberationSans.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  9. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

A good place to look for fonts is Google Fonts where you can select which language you are interested in.

Commercial fonts such as Arial are available from MyFonts.com where the appropriate license must be acquired.

Skyblade likes this.
  10. Skyblade

Skyblade

I have similar problem when copying cyrillic text to a clipboard.
    Instead of the text I see some garbage:
    upload_2019-6-9_19-44-11.png
    What's happening?

If I check scene asset, I can see pretty normal Unicode sequence:

11. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

What text are you copy / pasting? Provide me with the exact text please.

Can you post an image of the font atlas texture of your font asset or provide me with the font asset and font file?

12. Skyblade

Skyblade

I'm copying "Текст" string.
    If I paste it into any text field, say, Notepad, it's corrupted.

Here is the atlas (Arial SDF).

Attached Files:

13. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

I looked at your font asset and everything appears to be working as expected. Copying the text from the input field into Notepad works fine. Copying from Notepad back to the text field works fine on my end as well.

Can you post images or some video of what you are experiencing?

What version of Unity and TextMesh Pro are you using again?

14. Skyblade

Skyblade

I'm using Unity 2019.1.5.f1 (also applies to newer versions up to 2019.3.0a5) and TextMeshPro 2.0.1.
    Here is the sample project below.
    Here is the sample video:

Attached Files:

15. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the video.

This appears to be a bug in the Editor related to the Copy / Clipboard function. This appears to be an issue introduced at some point in 2019.1 and still present in early alpha of 2019.3 but not in the latest.

There are a few bug reports about this already. I'll check internally to see when the fix for this will be back ported to previous version of 2019.x.

Skyblade likes this.