Search Unity

Question The right way to set up a simple animating object?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by DrawnOut, Mar 16, 2023.

1. DrawnOut

DrawnOut

Hi, non programmer here ( artist)
    upload_2023-3-15_18-16-19.png
    I have built a 3d space station, and part of the station should be constantly rotating. I was curious about the right way to achieve this, and taking a step back, if my understanding is correct of proper set up,

1. Is this done In unity, or animated in 3D ( maya) and baked into the .fbx?
    2. If it's done easily enough in unity, is it correct to assume my 1 large .fbx. space station should actually be at least 2 pieces, the static part, and the part that will rotate? Or is there a way to group a single .fbx into different parts?
    3. I'm guessing there's a smarter procedural or node based way to ensure infinite rotation, rather than animating 0-360 and setting it to loop? Or is this a good solution? If this has been answered before ( probably) and you know where, even just directing me to the answer would be very helpful, but i'd appreciate any ideas.

Many thanks!

2. Homicide

Homicide

1. Is this done In unity, or animated in 3D ( maya) and baked into the .fbx?

Something as simple as rotating a single part of the station, could be done in unity with ease, or anything you want, honestly.

2. If it's done easily enough in unity, is it correct to assume my 1 large .fbx. space station should actually be at least 2 pieces, the static part, and the part that will rotate? Or is there a way to group a single .fbx into different parts?

When you import your model into unity, it will have exactly the same transform parent / child relation as it did when you sent it out of your modeling agent. Its really that simple. If you want it to be in pieces, make it that way before bringing it into Unity. That said, if you really must, you can also use ProBuilder to rip a model apart in unity.

3. I'm guessing there's a smarter procedural or node based way to ensure infinite rotation, rather than animating 0-360 and setting it to loop? Or is this a good solution? If this has been answered before ( probably) and you know where, even just directing me to the answer would be very helpful, but i'd appreciate any ideas.

I mean, its really the same thing. A simple rotating animation clip, or in script rotating the transfom. At the end of the day, its all the same crap.

GL

PS , im a code guy , not so much art. If you want , hit me up on discord. JD#1539

DrawnOut likes this.
  3. DrawnOut

DrawnOut

Good sir, you have made my night. I may do that! Thank you for the advice, let me fail at it spectacularly before I bother you, but I appreciate the link! :D

Homicide likes this.