Search Unity

The right tool for the job - map making

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by fetish, Mar 28, 2018.

1. fetish

fetish

Hello all,
    I'm interested in making a Moba-style game, and wondering which tool I should be using to make my maps (think Heroes of the Storm, the game I'm most emulating). Is this something that should be built in a Unity scene, dropping in models from Blender/whatever 3d application as necessary, or something I should generally be building up within a 3d design program?

Thanks!

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Modularity is king.

There is a thread on polycount titled something like, "How did they do the rock cliffs in Shadow of the Colossus Remake?" Go through the replies and there is a lot of links to useful references.

Take the time to learn to make modular 3d models and materials, and then your level creation and set dressing is pure artistic fun.

JoeStrout likes this.
  3. fetish

fetish

Forgive my ignorance - what I'm hearing is that as much as possible should be done in your 3d editor of choice? Is that right?

Sadly I wasn't able to find that thread or really anything similar :/

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Google "modular game assets" and read everything you can find as it pertains to level design, look dev, world creation, etc. There isn't a quick answer -- this is a science. Gnomon Workshop has some really good videos covering this -- though they are a bit advanced in that they cover theories and you'll need to read documentation to learn the actual execution.

This can get you started and keep you busy for awhile