Search Unity

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object '<null>') is missing!

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by PixelPockets, Jun 27, 2022.

1. PixelPockets

PixelPockets

OK this one is driving me nuts..

I created a VFX Graph. Dragged the VFX Graph into the game hierarchy, which created a game object. I then made that game object a prefab. I deleted the prefab from the hierarchy.

I created a script that is attached to this prefab. The script looks like this -

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class ParticleEffect : MonoBehavior
    2. {
    3.   public VisualEffect vEffect;
    4.   private void Awake()
    5.   {
    6.     vEffect = GetComponent<VisualEffect>();
    7.     vEffect.playRate = 800;
    8.   }
    9. }
    The only thing I am doing with this visual effect is setting the play rate.

Now, I can drag this prefab from the asset window into the game hierarchy and the particle effect works perfectly fine in the scene view. What I can't do is instantiate that prefab from another script. It gives me this warning -

"The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object '<null>') is missing!"

EDIT: It does, in fact, instantiate the object. It just doesn't spawn any particles. What's even weirder is that if I click on the game object in the hierarchy during gameplay, the particles will start to function properly. Shouldn't it start to play right away? I even tried using the
    Play()
    function in code, and it still won't play until I click on the game object..

What am I doing wrong here? Why do I need to click on the game object that spawns in order to start the particle effect?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  2. jeremysmitherman

jeremysmitherman

For anyone googling and getting this as the first result, try closing the VFX graph editor when playing and this goes away. Nasty little bug.