Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Realm" A beautiful Point&Click adventure needs you support!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SolidSnake, Apr 28, 2013.

1. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

A friend with his colleagues started a Kickstarter campaign for game they are making with Unity:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/995134339/the-realm-game

$Serina.jpg $backdrop.jpg $Turo.jpg

If you a fan of the genre or know someone who is and like it please support if you can and spread the word as they need all the support they can get!

More details: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/995134339/the-realm-game

Many thanks!

==UPDATE==

The team is planning now to make storybook for tablets (Using Unity of course) to raise awareness and hopefully securing sponsorship to make the game and they started a competition in this regard:

https://therealmgame.com/

Everyone can submit their own story and the winning story will be published for the storybook

Deadline is 11th of May

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

The award winning Richard Jacques' interview about making the music for "The Realm" :):

3. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

More Details about the game play is revealed:

4. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Interview with Tom Szirtes regarding "The Realm" where he talks about the team background and the game:

http://alternativemagazineonline.co...es-the-realm-kickstarter-lantern-interactive/

Their Kickstarter campaign is bit struggling and apparently due to the fact that the funds in £ and not $ (i.e. no Amazon Payments)

Wonder if anyone else had similar experience with non US accounts with similar targets...

5. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

Looks amazing! What's really cool about it, is it's an environment made up of simply 2d pictures, which allows you to create extremely efficient, high quality scenes with that sort of concept art/painted style.

I will definitely play this and check it out when it comes out! Good luck!

6. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

That's one of my favorite points about it is the environment setup! fingers crossed! they will need to get their target on Kickstarter or secure a funding of some sort.

7. xtremepman

xtremepman

This looks beautiful

8. Kelde

Kelde

guys..just WOW! best looking game ive ever seen, period. U havea link for that artists portfolio? he sure knows his values!

Im also wondering the size of those matte paintings beeing used ingame, im guessing its doable since ur scenes doesnt move alot? Im making a 2d platfomrer where i use rather large paitning and im wondering it that size is doable with a game that moves slightly faster,rendering those in. Its amazing looking, never seen anything like that since The Whispered World.

Will back this, great job guys!

9. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Thanks alot!

The art and design in done by Atomhawk and you can also know more about their team in the kickstarter page where they show some videos.

I think because it is a slow based game this setup will work without issues. It will be more challenging on a faster game but still doable. But definitely a nice way to mix of 2D and 3D and make it possible for them to reuse a lot of their artwork.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  10. LaneFox

LaneFox

Man.. So gorgeous. Wish it got more attention.

Point n click's are such classic fun.

11. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Yes it is a shame that its not being visible enough

12. xtremepman

xtremepman

To paraphrase some guy in the forums: "You either make a 2D crappy game in some random software downloaded off the internet, OR you make a painstaking 2D game of EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY in Unity" :D

If you want more attention, here are some suggestions.

> Put it on IndieDB
    > Put it on Twitter
    > Go crazy with screenshots and get some hype
    > Release a demo
    > Enter it into some competition. If it comes out first (like "Among the Sleep"), it will be sure to get LOTS of attention.

13. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Thanks for that :)
    I noticed that the images I included in my post disappeared so i had to re upload them

They did use a lot of different social channels as well as some press and some big names in the gaming industry tweeted about them but obviously it is not good enough unless it becomes viral and it get the attention of a popular media.

Releasing a good quality demo is a very valid point todo but obviously they are short on cash.

It also seems that Kickstarter in UK is not as flexible in the US when it comes to payment options: Most US backers (which make the majority of Kickstarter user base) are used to use Amazon payments which is not provided as an option with a non US projects and that put some people off.

also point and click genre is a niche market nowadays which make it even harder.

I am sure it was a learning curve for them so if the didn't make in the next 5 days I hope they will be able to relaunch it some how. Fingers crossed

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  14. IvoryOasis

IvoryOasis

I think the biggest problem was they didn't show all the good stuff till much later in the kickstarter. I remember seeing it at first and they didn't show any of that really nice gameplay stuff and tech (I think they added it like half way through?).

Looks really really beautiful though.

15. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

true, they showed the gameplay details after more than a week if I remember correctly.

16. goat

goat

The concept is very nice. You won't get the funds in 4 days but I think it's worth trying to animate as a movie if you have those kind of resources; focusing on the child trying to help the 'earth creature'.

17. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

Given their experience and how easy unity is to use, they should have a playable demo. That would be the best way to showcase gameplay and more importantly the chemistry between the two.

18. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Exactly, having a movie or even better a playable demo should have helped... also I think they should have tried to create a fan base even before KS.

They got an interview in the guardian website where they explain their experience with KS:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/may/17/the-realm-kickstarter

With 70 hours remaining it doesn't seem possible to get the fund but at least they are trying to use it to get as much backers as they can now.

Only few games like Republique and Godus managed to get enough attention in the last days of the campaign and got most of their funding in the last days. They had more things to show on the gameplay side and big names helping the PR.

19. xtremepman

xtremepman

Have you tried Indiegogo? Also, if you need help on your project, just PM me!

If you need attention, as a last resort, just keep bumping your thread with updates, no matter how big or small!

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  20. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Thanks, Yes they were already checking it as an alternative option too... at least for partial funding to do the demo.

I will try to keep this thread alive with updates from time to time :)

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  21. Khyrid

Khyrid

It looks interesting, it's certainly beautiful, but it's hard to tell if it is something I want to play or not based on the first video.

22. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Thanks for the feedback :)

They added a gameplay details video and another bonus feature afterwards in their Kickstarter page which explains some of the game mechanics:

23. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

24. LaneFox

LaneFox

Please do update us! =)

25. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I love it.

That should do it

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  26. xtremepman

xtremepman

With that said, lets see some concept art!:D

27. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

28. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

This game looks gorgeous man. Can't wait to see the demo. Let us know if they get a funding project setup for it.

29. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

I will definitely update this thread once they manage to setup any funding project

30. mjrose342

mjrose342

Should this really be in Unity gossip?
    Other than that I would buy the game.

31. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

It is going to be made using Unity's engine with interesting theatrical scene setup as shown in one of the videos.
    If it wasn't unity dev related topic I wouldn't bother the community :)

32. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

This is bloody epic and fantastic. I really hope they get the funding in some capacity.
    It would be a shame for this game not to be made...

33. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Thanks! :)

Fingers crossed they manage some funding

34. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you an update on The Realm.

They are planning now to make a storybook for tablets to raise awareness and hopefully secure sponsorship.

They already started a competition to allow people submitting their own version of the story and the chosen winner will have their story published

More info on their website: https://therealmgame.com/

Submission deadline is 11th of May.