Search Unity

The property database "Library/Search/propertyDatabase.db" is already opened.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by orville_redenbacher, May 23, 2022.

1. orville_redenbacher

orville_redenbacher

Lately I've been getting this error when I exit play mode. Does anyone know how to fix it? Deleting the Library folder didn't work.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Perhaps some antivirus solution scanning it?

3. madhoe

madhoe

I have this as well. Every time I edit any property,

The property database "Library/Search/propertyDatabase.db" is already opened.
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_InvokeTickEvents ()

The property database "Library/Search/propertyAliases.db" is already opened.
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_InvokeTickEvents ()

Very annoying

EDIT: Nvm, found out there were stray Unitys open for some reason

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Gronade, Cfirzi and Julien_at_work like this.
  4. orville_redenbacher

orville_redenbacher

Was hoping this was the fix but I only have one instance of Unity open :(

CodeSmile likes this.
  5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Then try reboot your computer... there might be sooper-seekrit headless processes that Unity fires off holding onto this.

6. orville_redenbacher

orville_redenbacher

It seems to come back no matter what I do :mad:

groooodno likes this.
  7. sebastiengrenier

sebastiengrenier

Unity Technologies

Hi. Can you check your project's Temp folder if you have any "PropertyDatabase_XXXXXXXXXX" files and delete those (without Unity opened). These are the lockfiles for the property databases. We can't open a property database multiple times on a single file, so we use those lockfiles to manage that. However, "Library/Search/propertyDatabase.db" and "Library/Search/propertyAliases.db" are handled by Search and should not have multiple instances. I suspect the lockfiles were not properly during domain reload, and now you are stuck in a weird state. If there is no Temp folder or it does not contain any "PropertyDatabase_XXXXXXXXXX" files, please log a bug and we will investigate.

8. eeprom

eeprom

That worked. Thanks.

Had my project crash a few times, which left some of these files hanging around.

VainM, Tymianek, wfqwewe and 4 others like this.
  9. yagizdeneri

yagizdeneri

works :) thank you

10. FoodFish_

FoodFish_

I have deleted the PropertyDatabase_xxxxx files and temporarily solves the problem. However the files quickly come back after regular usage and the errors resume.

11. sebastiengrenier

sebastiengrenier

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry to hear that. Are the errors appearing during a single session after you've cleaned the files, or do you need to close the Editor and reopen it to see the errors again?
    I'm asking because those files should get cleaned after Unity is closed, since they are in the temp folder. So if the error appears only after reopening Unity a second time, maybe the temp folder does not get cleaned up properly, but if they appear in the first session after you deleted them, then the problem is elsewhere.

In any case, if you are able to reproduce the issue with a sample project, could you file a bug report?

uniteiro, bicen and Sleepwalkin like this.
  12. TheVirtualMunk

TheVirtualMunk

I had this issue due to a hanging unity process in the Task Manager - so check if you have one as well and then close it completely.

LukeDawn and CodeSmile like this.
  13. orville_redenbacher

orville_redenbacher

I suspect the reason for this was my constant forceful shutdowns of Unity when it hangs. It seems that if the Unity editor is not in focus, it has a higher chance of hanging while reloading, importing, etc. Bit of a pain to be unable to switch to another window while Unity works.

qmkk and TheVirtualMunk like this.
  14. recaremo01

recaremo01

Thanks to Sebastian - this tip fixed my errors well.

15. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I also had this issue, due to me having to force-close Unity earlier and some process got stuck.

Ending the zombie process and deleting Temp folder fixed it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    Dilshod961004 likes this.
  16. hadtofall

hadtofall

I have this problem on 2021.3.5f1 LTS as well

ChiuanWei likes this.
  17. Noha_Morte

Noha_Morte

One up from me too, issue seems to be related to me shutting down the Unity Editor from the Task Manager after becoming non responsive. Restarting the editor or the system has no effect. Deleting the files with name starting with "PropertyDatabase_" with the Editor is closed worked just fine.

Darkgaze likes this.
  18. iamarugin

iamarugin

Same problem here. Any news on a fix?

19. yengNami

yengNami

This solved my issue. Thank you.

Roman_34 likes this.
  20. Thatila

Thatila

you got it thank you

21. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

I have just removed those files, but have the same issue when starting again. Using Unity 2021.3.7f1.

upload_2022-8-8_16-57-14.png

22. sebastiengrenier

sebastiengrenier

Unity Technologies

Ok, that should not happen if you deleted the files in the Temp folder. I'll try to reproduce this on my side and see if I could come up with a fix.

23. kayroice

kayroice

TJHeuvel-net you may have a Unity process running in the background that has an open file handle pointing to one or more of those files (that you've deleted from the filesystem). Close both the Unity Editor, and also Unity Hub. Then if you're on Windows open up the Task Manager and look for Unity processes that are still running; make sure you check under Background processes.

I had the same issue, ie closed out Unity Editor, deleted the files, restarted it, continued getting the message(s) about the .db files being open. I then closed out the editor, the hub, and also killed off lingering Unity Hub processes I found via the Task Manager. That fixed the problem for me, and seemed to indicate there was a process that was holding on to the file handles for the deleted files.

Julien_at_work and TJHeuvel-net like this.
  24. OneManEscapePlan

OneManEscapePlan

We've run into this issue once as well after having to force close the Editor to get out of an infinite loop. Perhaps a solution would be for the Editor to automatically delete any existing property database lock files when the Editor first opens? The Editor doesn't let us open multiple copies of a single project at the same time, so there shouldn't be any risk of opening a second instance of the same project and having it wipe the lock files from the first instance.

25. sebastiengrenier

sebastiengrenier

Unity Technologies

Yes, that is one possibility. We are also investigating the possibility of removing that lock file entirely and use a memory lock that disappears when Unity closes.

26. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

I have the same problem, it keeps coming back each time i try to bake the light maps. now the light maps wont bake at all.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  27. AndreaGalet

AndreaGalet

Same issue here, using Plastic SCM application is a workaround

28. daveMennenoh

daveMennenoh

Just started having this problem as well. 2021.3.8f1 Will try deleting those lock files. But this started happening in a project which was fine. All I did was add a new scene and this started. It's a android build, vr project. Haven't had any crashes.

29. MrBigly

MrBigly

I came across this problem today and it seemed to begin appearing when my editor was running the game but hung and I had to terminate it with task manager. deleting the two files fixed it. I am using 2022.1.14f1. thanks for the fix, sebastiengrenier.

30. FungusMonkey

FungusMonkey

I am now having this issue for the first time. First time I attempted to use TextMeshPro and is the first time I have seen this. I looked for a temp folder and the other files you mentioned with unity open and closed. I see no temp folder or those files? I looked in C:\Program files unity\Unity 2021.3.7f1 which is the version I am using. Am I looking in the right place? Other two folders are just for the Hub.

OK, tested this. I deleted the textmeshpro object in unity and after one run, errors disappeared. I then added it back and errors again immediately appeared. Obviously, this error is being created by textmeshpro. I also could not drag the text object into the field in the inspector. No way to do that even though a tutorial I am following does it just fine?

I would like to know how to use it though because yes, I want to display some text on screen. I assign the text in the editor in update (time of day) and nothing happens. Could this be because of the error? U uninstalled and reinstalled TextMeshProp using package manager and same thing Version 3.0.6 - April 22, 2021

The code called from Update()

private void UpdateTimeOfDay()
    {
    currentTime = currentTime.AddSeconds(Time.deltaTime * timeMultiplyer);

if(timeText != null)
    {
    timeText.text = currentTime.ToString("HH:mm");
    }
    }

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  31. sebastiengrenier

sebastiengrenier

Unity Technologies

@Darren_Therrien This is not an issue with TextMeshPro, but with Search. The fact that you don't see any errors without TextMeshPro is likely a side effect (i.e. TextMeshPro is probably modifying some files that trigger our monitoring system). The "Temp" folder you are looking for is located in your project folder:
    upload_2022-9-14_10-24-5.png
    And inside it you will find the PropertyDatabase lock files that you can delete:
    upload_2022-9-14_10-26-17.png
    They will have their own number, but they all start with "PropertyDatabase_". We are investigating for a fix.

32. Kamyker

Kamyker

Works even with Unity opened but requires scripts to be recompiled.

33. martinssilins

martinssilins

Any Update on this issue?

34. xblackk

xblackk

yeah this is super annoying. Happens to me when changing fields in a scriptable object instance. 2021.3.9f1 LTS

35. sebastiengrenier

sebastiengrenier

Unity Technologies

A fix for this has been pushed recently. It should be fixed in 2021.3.13f1, 2022.2.0b12 and 2023.1.0a11.

xblackk likes this.
  36. YeswinKrishna

YeswinKrishna

Thanks a lot. It Worked!

37. PursuedFireX

PursuedFireX

Open Task Manager and under background processes, end the unity editor process. This is what worked for me.

38. mohsenmousavi2313

mohsenmousavi2313

If you haven't opened Unity twice, open the task manager and close the Unity editor in the background process.

39. nath47

nath47

I started to have this problem after programs crashed due to the overload which was the result of not properly designed code (smth like infinite loop)

40. hasanerzi

hasanerzi

That works. Thank you ;)

41. Napoloo

Napoloo

heck yea that fixed it! thanks random person, also cheers @orville_redenbacher for opening the thread!

42. Ram-Apprlabs

Ram-Apprlabs

I had opened another project instead of the current project and that project will be also stored in a temp file, I figure out that maybe that's my problem so I delete the temp folder project and also deleted that library file also then restart the current project now the error will disappear

Attached Files:

43. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

I am still on 2021.3.5f1 so I haven't confirmed the latest version properly fixes my issue with this. However, I do know that I never saw it before adding a (relatively complex) OnValidate function to one of my MonoBehaviours. Now that I have a lot of code running after a compile, it seems to happen every time one of my OnValidate calls modifies an object inside that call. I also have Parallel Import enabled, so it might be multiple threads all trying to save at once.

As soon as I disabled Parallel Import, the errors disappeared.

44. Babster

Babster

It works thank you!