Search Unity

The project that creates a class library cannot be directly launched

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kikilinio, Aug 27, 2020.

1. kikilinio

kikilinio

I created a project in a unity, created a c # script, the visual studio opens, I pressed start and an error appears. The project that creates a class library cannot be directly launched
    what did I do wrong? how to fix?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What "start" button are you referring to? If you want to play your project in the editor you press the "Play" button at the top.

3. kikilinio

kikilinio

start in visual studio. i did new unity project, created default c# script and tried to compile that script in visual studio

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You don't run Unity projects from VS. Unity isn't just a simple library you add to a VS project. If you want to build and run your project, you do it from the Unity Editor.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Since @Joe-Censored touched on the way to make it work I'll touch on the technical explanation. Unity ships with its own compiler that is mostly equivalent to C# 7.3 and it's own framework that is mostly equivalent to .NET 4.6. Unity's runtime libraries expect your scripts to be compiled and implemented using these.

If I remember correctly there used to be a way (and maybe it still exists but my searches turned up nothing) to start your game from within Visual Studio without having to switch focus to Unity but I don't believe that functionality exists now.

Joe-Censored likes this.