Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question The player Id versus the Id of the authenticated player

Discussion in 'Authentication' started by derekbatoyon, Oct 10, 2023.

1. derekbatoyon

derekbatoyon

I'm getting to know the Player Authentication API and I could use a little clarification.

Most of the APIs return the same information about the player: name/value pairs called user and userId. The user is defined as a Player object which contains an id that is described as "The player Id. The Id is unique within the Id domain." The userId is described as "The Id of the authenticated player. If a project is specified in the request, this field represents the Id of the project scoped player."

Also, the glossary describes the Player ID as "Used to identify returning and new players on different devices and external providers."

Is this Player ID (described in the glossary) the same as the id in the Player object? When should the Player ID be used and when should the userId be used? What is the Id domain in regards to the uniqueness of the id? Why does the documentation say "If a project is specified in the request" when the ProjectId is required in the request header?

Thanks in advance.

2. derekbatoyon

derekbatoyon

Just wanted to upload a screenshot of an API example to highlight what I am asking about.

Attached Files: