Search Unity

Games The Phishers' Gauntlet

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Philip-Rowlands, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

The Phishers' Gauntlet

Download link: https://gamejolt.com/games/phishers_gauntlet/353411

This is a stealth-action game that is set in a game development forum city that is being overrun by spammers. You have been cut off during the evacuation, and must pass through an abandoned subsection of town to reach a ROFLcopter pad for pickup. The catch: this sector is infested with Phishers. They smell your valuable personal data, and they're not going to let it go.

This was based on a throwaway joke I made in Spamocalypse: Aftermath. I had wanted to add Phishers as Gremlin-like creatures that lurked on rooftops attempting to hit people with phishing rods/spears, but had to cut them due to spending two years on that game. So, this is a standalone game to see if I can make NPCs that ambush/stalk the player.

Screenshots

Basic level view and UI:
    Phishers_Prototype_Level.png

Your destination:
    Roflcopter Pad.png

A wild Phisher appeared! Don't let it's spears hit you!
    Phishers_Prototype_Pipe_Phisher.png

What happens if a spear hits you. Close it quick, or your health data will be stolen!!!1!!1!
    Phising_Screen.png

Basic controls
    • WASD - movement
    • Mouse rotation - look around
    • Arrow keys - look around
    • Space - Jump
    • Shift - Run
    • Ctrl - Walk
    • C - crouch (just reduces speed)
    • F - use glowing object
    • G - toggle torch

Known issues
    It's a prototype, so aside from the usual default textures/models, etc., here's the current problems.
    • Some of the sounds are a bit off, particularly footsteps.
    • One or two stairwells in the demo level are tricky to get up - mainly the building with the water. There's also a trap inside that's hidden in the water; that much is intentional.
    • Input.GetAxis appears to be limited to 90 degrees on Linux. The arrow keys can be used to rotate the player as a workaround.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

I don't see it. Is it that brown cylinder in the foreground?

3. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

It's supposed to be the squashed capsule coming out of the sewer - I might not have described that properly.

@InstinctDevs ...I don't understand what you're trying to say.

4. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

I've added a model and some rudimentary animations for the NPCs; at the moment, it's limited to them jumping and throwing spears, though they do have a walk cycle and melee attack that I'll use later.

Here's a slightly better image of one attacking:
    Phisher_Attacking.png

And here's a quick video of the animations:

5. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

Version 0.1 released. New features:

• The main menu has been fleshed out with some scenery, a basic options panel (currently limited to mouse sensitivity) and another to show some context/plot outline.
    • There's now a rough map of the demo level.
    • NPCs have some basic voice clips (done using a text-to-speech engine for now).
    • Bug fixes (in particular UI screens interfering with each other, or buttons not being clickable, or lifts taking off without the player)
    Here's a screenshot of the main menu level.
    MainMenu.png

Known issues:
    • The perennial Input.GetAxis issue on Linux.
    • Traps aren't visible when in water; that makes sense, but it means you can't see when they're highlighted, indicating that you can open them and escape.
    • GameObjects are frozen in the main menu level after quitting the demo level, due to game being effectively "paused". It's purely cosmetic, and the main level is not affected.