Search Unity

The particle system is not support dynamic batch sprite in unity 2018.4.0f1 LTS.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by watsonsong, May 17, 2019.

1. watsonsong

watsonsong

The new version of unity disable the support for sprite dynamic batch for particle system.

But all of our particle system is base on using the sprite. We pack all shared textures as sprites into one large atlas to reduce draw call. Now we have to redesign all of our particle system, or we have a big problem when upgrade to LTS version.

I hope unity could support it.

From: https://forum.unity.com/threads/the...pport-animation-any-more.647209/#post-4550446

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Can you show us the Draw Call and Set Pass calls from before and after this change, and a difference in milliseconds per frame that you are experiencing in a representative scene?

(It would be even better if you had numbers from a platform profiler for conmparing draw call counts and milliseconds per frame, rather than the unity profiler.)

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

A change of plan - i think we will be re-enabling batching of particle sprites in 2018.4, because the reason for disabling it didn't fully fix the issue it was intended to fix.

To be clear though - I don't think there will be any performance difference with or without the change: The SetPass and Draw Call counts will be the same in both cases.

4. watsonsong

watsonsong

Thank you for this fix. We will do more deep test between the two version.
    Is this change merged into the 2018.4.1f1? I am testing and seems not included.

5. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

No it's not in a patch yet. It's going to be at least a couple of weeks.

6. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

Hi Richard, do you have any feedback from the QA when the update to the batch sprite fix will be released? Unfortunately the sprites in the "Texture Sheet Animation" module with the Unity 2018.4.3 version are still not batched. Thank you in advance!

richardkettlewell likes this.
  7. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hey, i found out today that it’s landed in 2018.4.4

8. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

Awesome! Thanks for the good news and keep up the great work!

richardkettlewell likes this.