Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

The Package Manager makes me crazy o-O

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Quatum1000, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hi Team,

Is there any change to
    1) disable the Package Manager from automatically updating
    2) disable the package manager completely.
    3) prevent installing packages for a new project.
    4) or having a bool option on each package ==> [X] Install on 'Create New Project'.

It's really ugly to wait 10 minutes until all the stuff is created AND removed again because is not required.
    Further the connection to the asset store is extreme lame, I own a glass fiber 250Mbit.
    * Can you separate this Package Manager install stuff from the asset store to another Server?!

* An additional marketing option that separate the free from the subscription users.. Means ppl owning a plus or professional subscription automatically have access over a first class connection to the asset store. So all this quirky server access stuff runs faster.

Kind regards, Q

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I second 3 & 4, it's super annoying to have ads and ingame purchases installed always when I always just go and remove them for every single project. I'd really want to set some default somewhere.

3. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi Q,

Thanks for the feedback. Package Manager is an essential system for delivering Unity features moving forward and to help make the Unity Editor a more modular, tailored experience depending on your project. We want to make sure the experience is smooth and seamless as possible so any additional context on what you hoping to achieve will help

What OS are you using and is the connection performance / slow loading something you've only noticed with the 2018.2 beta or equally in previous betas? Also related, are you installing the beta build via the DownloadAssistant or have you tried using the Hub?

Can you please elaborate more on what you're experiencing regarding package manager automatically updating? The Package Manager does not auto-update any of the packages so I would like to better understand what pain-points you're experiencing on project creation.

For your 3rd point, there are default packages (built-in) with each editor release that are loaded in every new project. There are also specific packages depending on the project template selected on new project creation (controlled by the manifest file). Which packages are you removing each time in your case? (any project / workflow context will help).

Thanks,
    Daniel

Silvertooth likes this.
  4. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

The Package Manager is a useful tool anyway.

*Windows 7/64,
    * Permanently slow in UnityEditor > Asset Store as well. I have accepted this silently, because downloading any package from UnityEditor > Asset Store is required only on updating a package onto the local drive sometimes. But now the Package Manager seems to access the AssetStore server each time on start, creating a new project, and add or remove.
    * On previous build 2018.1.b13 slow beta as well.
    * Installed the UnityEditor beta via DownloadAssistant. (2.8GB at download speed ~10MB/s)

Each time open the package manager requires about 15 seconds and it access the Internet Network. The packages itself are located at C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com (Samsung SSD with about 560MBit/s average access) It's not related to the system hardware or NAD.
    Untitled-1.jpg

You can be assured the Package Manager does try auto update itself at opening!
    Removing or installing any package requires about 2 minutes each while accessing the internet connection and through any unity server. Seems to be the asset store server.

* Creating an new project takes again extremely long because several unwanted packages are installed by default and seems to be again verified through the internet connection and to any unity server. In my case I need none of them are showed below.
    Untitled-2.jpg

Further removing from a project the same pain.

All original packages are located in: C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com
    References are not stored in the project folder-file in 2018.2. /Packages contains a manifest.json
    Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.     "dependencies": {
    3.     }
    4. }

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  5. optimise

optimise

Hi @DanielTG. I would like to see the ability to set which packages to pre-cache so when creating each new project it will instantly create the project instead of waiting them to compile each package as it's just copy the pre-cache file to Library folder. I think there will have some packages that developer will use it for every project.

julesradu likes this.